What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Camping and the iPad - Preliminary Charging Results Inside

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Since my idea of camping out is a weekend at a five-star resort...
Sounds like my wife. Her idea of "roughing it" is a black & white TV with no cable!

The math doesn't make sense to me because the Solio's battery is actually bigger than the iPad.
With all due respect...
Bigger how? Physically bigger? That means nothing. There are two pieces of the puzzle when it comes to electricity, voltage and current. The charger supplied with the iPad is rated at 10 watts. At 5 volts out, this equates to 2 amps. (Actually according to the charger, the output is 5.1 volts and 2.1 amps - but close enough for government work). OTOH, the output of the Solio is 5 volts at 800mA (1000ma = 1 amp). The equates to only 4.8 watts - not nearly enough to fully charge the iPad, but adequate to charge an iPod or iPhone. This is why they recommend you not charge an iPad from your computer's USB port because the specification for USB 2.0 has a maximum power draw of 2.25 watts - far below what the iPad requires.

Clear as mud, eh?

OP
NumbLock

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Since my idea of camping out is a weekend at a five-star resort...
Sounds like my wife. Her idea of "roughing it" is a black & white TV with no cable!

The math doesn't make sense to me because the Solio's battery is actually bigger than the iPad.
With all due respect...
Bigger how? Physically bigger? That means nothing. There are two pieces of the puzzle when it comes to electricity, voltage and current. The charger supplied with the iPad is rated at 10 watts. At 5 volts out, this equates to 2 amps. (Actually according to the charger, the output is 5.1 volts and 2.1 amps - but close enough for government work). OTOH, the output of the Solio is 5 volts at 800mA (1000ma = 1 amp). The equates to only 4.8 watts - not nearly enough to fully charge the iPad, but adequate to charge an iPod or iPhone. This is why they recommend you not charge an iPad from your computer's USB port because the specification for USB 2.0 has a maximum power draw of 2.25 watts - far below what the iPad requires.

Clear as mud, eh?

There may be something wrong with my math, but that's not it. Watts means how fast the battery should load. I'm thinking about the capacity of the Solio's battery which is 1800 mAh - bigger than the iPad. In fact it does charge (when in sleep mode, just like a low-power USB port), but only for two hours.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There may be something wrong with my math, but that's not it. Watts means how fast the battery should load. I'm thinking about the capacity of the Solio's battery which is 1800 mAh - bigger than the iPad. In fact it does charge (when in sleep mode, just like a low-power USB port), but only for two hours.
I am not trying to be argumentative... honest!

The issue is not with the capacity of the Solio's battery, but the output range of the unit. The specs for the Classic unit (which may be slightly less than the Magnesium unit) state that the output range is only 800mA. Apparently after 2 hours, the battery in the Solio is depleted. What you need is a device with an output that matches the iPad's requirements which may or may not have anything to do with the capacity of the battery.

EDIT: Something like this is probably closer to being able to do what you want it to do:

Voltaic Systems | Generator, Solar Laptop Charger
generator-silver.jpg

Upside:
1) Comes built into a carry case big enough for an iPad
2) Comes with a wide variety of adapters, including one for iDevices
3) Comes with an additional battery pack (looks similar to the Zagg Sparq)

Downsides:
1) It costs as much as an 16gb WiFi iPad
2) Everywhere I have checked shows they are not available or backordered at this time.

Last edited:

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Interesting test NumbLock. Thank you.

This appliance could be useful on a small craft also.(boat)

But camping? There's so much to do when I go camping that I wouldn't have time to use the iPad other than as a flashlight...:D

Itzxdjx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah even the zagg sparq witch is a pretty nice and powerful battery charger with a second USB port That can handle the iPad. Even that beast I wouldn't think could charger the iPad more than once charges the iPhone about 4 to 5 times it says. But yeah that solo isn't strong enough. The iPad does have two huge batteries in it... The wall charger needs a good hour or two to fill up no?

OP
NumbLock

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Whatever happens, I'll keep y'all informed! I'm leaving in about an hour.

monkeyboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm wondering just how you know that the iPad's battery is less than 1800mah... I could be wrong, but what I see quoted is that the iPad battery is rated at 25Wh... so presuming about a 4V cell voltage, that's 6.25Ah.... more than THREE times that 1800mah...

OP
NumbLock

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm wondering just how you know that the iPad's battery is less than 1800mah... I could be wrong, but what I see quoted is that the iPad battery is rated at 25Wh... so presuming about a 4V cell voltage, that's 6.25Ah.... more than THREE times that 1800mah...

Hm... That math makes sense. Anyhow, end of the first day, no need to charge yet - still at 100%

OP
NumbLock

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
8:42 pm on the first evening, used the iPad with my iPhone navigation App (iGo using generic Hama car charger) to get here. We had a huge storm that damaged the tent (a branch fell on it), but the iPad is still at 99%

b678f8dd.jpg

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts