What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Camping and the iPad - Preliminary Charging Results Inside

OP
NumbLock

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You never mentioned the obvious -- a DC car charger. So you must be backpacking? Regards a solar charger, I have a .5A at 12V panel that measures about 15" square. So that would be 6 watts. Obviously a 10 watt panel would be nearly twice that size. And charging circuitry probably doesn't exceed 50% efficiency, so bigger still. Seems like your disappointing test results were on the money.

I'd carry both an AC charger and a 2amp car charger and hope for opportunities. My Kensington 2A car charger is half the length of a cigarette lighter plug and can use the existing AC usb cable. So no hindrance packing it along.

Actually, I wanted to talk about that. The cheap little Hama charger is the unsung hero of the trip. For convenience sake, I use my iPhone navigation software on my iPad and despite the enormous power draw of these types of apps, it worked just fine - no "not charging" messages.

I'm car-packing, meaning both backpacking with a car base camp if you will.

I found a site that is offering a complete iPad-specific filding panel charger solution, but was hoping for something more local.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just found this: QuickerTek USB Charge Monitor/Activator (scroll down to see the 10 Watt Foldable Solar Panel). Still pricey ($250), but it does have the output necessary for an iPad. They claim, "Our 10 watt solar panel charges as fast as Apple's 10 watt wall charger that comes with the iPad."

Al Rogers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Two years ago I purchased a Black & Decker device called Power to Go,its a little bigger than an Ipod but after charging it will re-charge cell phones,Ipods and maybe even charge a iPad.
Output is 115V AC-60Hz 20 watts, USB output 5V DC 350mA. You can plug in a regular electrical plug or a USB plug, great when there is no sun.

Al.

WAM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Output is 115V AC-60Hz 20 watts, USB output 5V DC 350mA. Al.

As I understand it you need 5V x 2A. 350ma won't cut it. But maybe the 115V x 20w output would power the 10w ipad ac charger. Dunno how long. In my experience you ought to derate all mfg claims by half to avoid disappointment.

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Two years ago I purchased a Black & Decker device called Power to Go,its a little bigger than an Ipod but after charging it will re-charge cell phones,Ipods and maybe even charge a iPad.
Output is 115V AC-60Hz 20 watts, USB output 5V DC 350mA. You can plug in a regular electrical plug or a USB plug, great when there is no sun.

Al.
Oh yeah, I remember those. They had tiny drills and other stuff that could run on those batteries. VPX if I recall correctly. Did you try the iPad on it?

Al Rogers

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Al.
Oh yeah, I remember those. They had tiny drills and other stuff that could run on those batteries. VPX if I recall correctly. Did you try the iPad on it?

Not yet, but I will try and get a charge out of it and post back.

Al

CaptKirk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just curious... How is your 3G connection out in the wild? I've never had any luck 20 miles outside of gas and food..

lumberjak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought the Zagg Sparq 2.0 and it will do another 60%+ of an iPad charge. I've just got mine a few days back and have used it only slightly but it's a great backup solution. Plus for my wife's iPod, our cell phones it's also handy.

Though for renewable energy sources I to would like a decent solution I can have in my bag and use as I need it.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Though for renewable energy sources I to would like a decent solution I can have in my bag and use as I need it.
There are lots of flexible/foldable solar panels out there, put you are going to have to spend some green in order to go green! I have seen 10 watt foldable solar panels for $99 and they go up from there.

NumbLock's heart was in the right place, but his math was off a little in terms of power rating.

Al Rogers

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Al.

Not yet, but I will try and get a charge out of it and post back.

Al

Well I tried to charge the ipad with the battery pack and it was a no go,however the ipod it did work.

Varjak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Has anyone tried the PowerGorilla & SolarGorilla?

I hear very good things about the PowerGorilla and the SolarGorilla, for charging devices from cellphones to laptops when you're off the grid. A couple of people I follow on Twitter use them and speak very highly of them (though I haven't used them myself)

The PowerGorilla is just a compact, portable battery that stores a charge which you can transfer to your portable device using an appropriate connector (dozens of adaptors come with the PowerGorilla). You can charge the PowerGorilla from the mains before you leave home and then top it up using the SolarGorilla, a solar powered electricity generator.

I'm thinking of buying them myself.

Buzzfriend

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Really interested in solutions...we are off camping for new years and have a beachfront site...and no power. I could go a park myself in the camp kitchen for hours while the phone, camera and I pad charges...but would love a better solution.

WAM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Really interested in solutions...we are off camping for new years and have a beachfront site...and no power. I could go a park myself in the camp kitchen for hours while the phone, camera and I pad charges...but would love a better solution.

A compact 12V to AC inverter to run your various chargers. Hooked up to the car when it's convenient, or to an 8 D-cell battery holder (and bats) when it isn't.

12V chargers may be more efficient than inverting to use AC. I get 12V chargers for everything I want to charge in our camper. Again, you can power them with 8 D-cells when necessary.

ChIpad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Check walmart if you have one close by, go to automotive and where they keep car batteries, there are portable jumpers/battery packs that have a 12 volt car plug and most have inverters for 110 built in. A lot cheaper than most small battery packs.

Most reactions

Latest posts