What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New iPad actually charges to full one hour after it displays 100% charge

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Reaction score
iPad-charges-fully-an-hour-after-the-battery-indicator-shows-100.jpg

Apple's new iPad is a remarkable achievement in many ways. One of the most impressive aspects of the device is how much faster it is and how much better the display looks, yet it still keeps a good 9-10 hours of battery life like its predecessor. However, their is one interesting caveat that the folks at Ars Technica figured out, and it's a pretty important thing for owners to know. Apparently, they went to the trouble of testing the battery charge after it registered that it was at 100% capacity, and surprisingly found that the battery was not actually fully charged at that point. In fact, it required another full hour to completely charge the battery to maximum capacity. Here's a quote,

"I measured the power actually drawn by the AC Adapter and found that the new iPad continues to charge for up to 1 hour after it claims to reach 100 percent," Soneira told Ars via e-mail. "This affects the battery run time if you stop charging when it says 100 percent. Other tablets and smartphones also lie about their charging status, so if getting maximum battery run time is crucial, people need to keep their devices recharging for longer than the screen claims."

This isn't necessarily a design flaw per se, but is really more of a limitation in accurate battery charge sensor technology. One other piece of useful advice comes from Apple themselves. They shared that it is a good idea to fully charge your iPad's battery to maximum at least once a month. Along with this new information, now we can be assured to improve the health and longevity of our new iPad's battery.

Source: PhoneArena

lowlife

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I actually noticed this the first couple of days of usage. I almost returned it because I thought the battery was bad. One night I put it on the charger earlier than normal and it lasted much longer the next day.

AlexisW

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I noticed the same thing with charging. It seemed like it was draining really fast until I charged it overnight.

Most reactions