What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just solved my charging problem...

XDRoX

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a charging shelf on my wall unit. I keep three charging cords plugged in it all times. Two 5watt chargers (one with an old cable and one with the new lightning one). And one 10watt with an old cable on it.

Most of us are familiar with the little cube like 5W chargers and the larger 10W ones.

I rearranged my cables a few months ago and moved some things around. Since then my iPad3 has been charging extremely slow. I figured either my battery was going bad or my 10W charger. Today I happen to be in my garage and plugged my iPad into another 10W charger I have stationed in there and to my surprise it charged very quickly.

So I take out my charging shelf and take a look at all my cables to make sure I didn't mix something up. To my surprise when I took a close look at my 10W charger it didn't say 10W on it. It said iPod charger. And it also said 5volt 1amp meaning it was only a 5W charger. But it was the same size as a 10W charger.

I did a little google research and found out that Apple made large 5W chargers before going to the little cube ones. I'm not sure where I picked up the large 5W charger but I'm very glad I discovered the difference.

Here's the site that explains the differences of all the chargers in case anyone is interested.

Watt to Know About iPhone & iPad Power Adapters [UPDATED] - The Mac Observer

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As soon as I get a new charger, I label it. So all my chargers have stickers that say iPhone 5W, iPad 10W or iPad 12W, etc.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
As soon as I get a new charger, I label it. So all my chargers have stickers that say iPhone 5W, iPad 10W or iPad 12W, etc.

Hi Kay..... - great idea! I've been doing the same for a while - own a Brother label maker w/ sticky tape - so as soon as I get a new gizmo w/ a power adapter, on goes a label - saves a lot of time also when packing for a trip, i.e. want to take the right ones! Dave :)

Spugnut

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Got to agree with Kay. I did the same when I received the iPad4 12W charge, as not to confuse the charger with the iPad 2 10W one.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Most reactions