What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AT&T Customers now know what life is like in Canada

adamh10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We've been dealing with terrible data plans for years now, and being offered one thing and then its gone the following day.

AT&T has just pulled a Rogers, and Bell, and Telus!

Welcome to Canada, folks!

However, at least we have had tethering since day one of OS 3.0 and it has always been FREE. Hopefully that doesn't change now that ATT will be charging for it...although I wouldn't be surprised if our carriers starting charging now as well. Rogers has promised that it will always be free with 1GB of data or more in your plan, but then again, were used to broken promises here in Canada!

Last edited:

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If I were in America, I would feel cheated. Steve stood on the stage and promised something that you can't get.

GailLA

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If I were in America, I would feel cheated. Steve stood on the stage and promised something that you can't get.

Don't forget that he even called them breakthrough plans too ;)

IMHO, if there is one person in the US who is angrier about this AT&T iPad bait and switch than I am, it is Steve Jobs. AT&T has made Steve look like a liar. I don't really think he is. I could be wrong, but I see nothing in it for Steve to have knowingly lied about this. Steve has found out what we've all really understood all along, deep down inside. AT&T is a lying, filthy company that doesn't give a hoot about its service or its customers.

I've been mildly content with AT&T because the service was kind of okay for a kind of okay price, but I've just joined the "I hate AT&T" club.

Teacher's Pet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not a fanboy or anything close, but as a business owner and based on what I've seen from Steve and Apple, I agree with Gail. Unless I find evidence to the contrary, I think Steve and Apple have gotten burnt bad by ATT. I can understand the problem ATT is facing, but frankly I think they did a VERY crappy job of handling the situation, and sat on their hands as the car was headed for the cliff, instead of steering in the opposite direction, then jumping out the car and locking the doors to watch Steve roll over the cliff while they laugh from high ground.

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wasn't dealing with AT&T an open contract? Where you buy as you need monthly?
That alone rang alarm bells with me. If they want you to stay with them they LOCK you. Unless...

What's bad with the US situation is that the service was offered as a monopoly to one company. At least in Canada we're offered choices. Not deals, choices. Like staying with the company I prefer.

henry2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
that was the main reason why i stayed with Wifi only model for that very reason ..i had a feeling that AT&T would do a bait and switch after a time frame to get everyone on board and then cut you off at the knees with a new plan deal

GailLA

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Wasn't dealing with AT&T an open contract? Where you buy as you need monthly?
That alone rang alarm bells with me. If they want you to stay with them they LOCK you. Unless...

What's bad with the US situation is that the service was offered as a monopoly to one company. At least in Canada we're offered choices. Not deals, choices. Like staying with the company I prefer.

Yes, if all our providers were GSM with compatible 3G we'd have half a chance. There might be some real competition. At least with the iPad if we travel abroad, we have a chance of buying another SIM and dropping it in.

Most reactions

Latest posts