What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple Replacing Some iPad 2s for Backlight Bleeding Issues

doubleR

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jowy520 said:
I got a black one with that problem too

Thanks for the info. Is it a bad problem. Like, I can't stand that seeping light?! Or I'll live. Getting one this week.

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I bought two, one was close to perfect and the other had a fairly severe amount of bleeding. I returned it and, though the second one I got was not perfect, it was more than good enough in that the bleeding was not perceptible on a black background in a dark environment. I believe that it is a question of degree to a large extent, screens are seldom perfect. Apple is very good about politely exchanging these but not a few people have reported that the replacement was worse than the original. Some go in for a third pass. That's the uncomfortable part about it.

jowy520

iPF Noob
Reaction score
doubleR said:
Thanks for the info. Is it a bad problem. Like, I can't stand that seeping light?! Or I'll live. Getting one this week.

Well, it's only when there is a dark background, I can live with it!

Granty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got my iPad 2 the other day. While blb isn't too evident there are four small bleeds at the bottom of the scree clearly visible in any light when watching a movie in letterbox which is slightly distracting.

I just wondered wants people's perception of acceptable now days? Most of the time it doesn't bother me, but can be a little annoying

Id also find it more annoying being without an iPad for like 3 weeks while stock is still short. Does anyone know if apple are being quite lenient with their 14 day policy for this issue?

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Granty said:
I got my iPad 2 the other day. While blb isn't too evident there are four small bleeds at the bottom of the scree clearly visible in any light when watching a movie in letterbox which is slightly distracting.

I just wondered wants people's perception of acceptable now days? Most of the time it doesn't bother me, but can be a little annoying

Id also find it more annoying being without an iPad for like 3 weeks while stock is still short. Does anyone know if apple are being quite lenient with their 14 day policy for this issue?

Hi Granty. If the bleeding is visible in any light, I personally wouldn't accept it. If you are in the U.S., Apple is totally aware of the problem and has evidently adopted a no questions asked policy insofar as returns for bleeding issues are concerned (they didn't even examine my returned iPad).

I purchased the iPad 2 within the first few days of the launch and returned it promptly early one morning. Even though there were extreme shortages of the product, much more so than now, before the day was out I received a call notifying that they had a new iPad for me and that I could pick it up at any time. When I expressed surprise that it had been done so quickly, the salesman informed me that I had been placed at the beginning of the queue. Apple seems to be doing their very best with customer service here and it undoubtedly will come back to them in terms of customer loyalty in the future.

I have also heard that the two week return policy does not apply in the case of screens with bleeding issues.

I hope this helps you. Good Luck and enjoy your iPad.

Granty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. I think I'll ring them on my days off. I'm in the uk and over here they don't have a queue for the iPads. First come first serve though I'd hope they'd reserve replacements. Maybe I should give their customer care a call. I'd hate to be without my iPad now.

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Granty said:
Thanks for your reply. I think I'll ring them on my days off. I'm in the uk and over here they don't have a queue for the iPads. First come first serve though I'd hope they'd reserve replacements. Maybe I should give their customer care a call. I'd hate to be without my iPad now.

Hopefully someone from the UK who has had the bleeding issue will jump in. I don't know if I was clear about the queue. What I meant to say was that insofar as returns are concerned, when you return an iPad here in the U.S. for replacement, the next time the store gets iPads in stock, the returns get priority over sales to customers coming in to get one for the first time. That is what the salesman implied although we didn't discuss countries of course (I am in California). I do understand your concerns about being left without your iPad for an extended period of time, and Apple definitely seems to have somewhat differing policies depending on the country you are in.

I like to read books on the Kindle Reader using white text on a black background. In that scenario, the bleeding can be very noticeable and quite irritating. Of course, there are some of us who might not even notice the problem were it not called to their attention.

jrcrewe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Stable or Creeping?

For the vast majority of iPad users, the screen presentation looks great,
and the real concern is whether or not the video bleeding is a stable condition.

Or, more seriously, is it an unstable 'creeping' condition?

Will there be any significant impact on the life expectancy of the iPad?

That's what I want to know.

JC

Granty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've just rung apple up at my local store and they said book a genius bar appointment then they'd happily replace it. They said they're keeping stock for exchanges.

Does anyone know if it's brand new sealed stock because I read on one forum that one guy went through 5 replacements in the store he refused due to marks on the back casing?

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Granty said:
I've just rung apple up at my local store and they said book a genius bar appointment then they'd happily replace it. They said they're keeping stock for exchanges.

Does anyone know if it's brand new sealed stock because I read on one forum that one guy went through 5 replacements in the store he refused due to marks on the back casing?

That's good news Granty! :) I believe that they are referring to brand new machines (thats what I got) but, if someone said that, I suppose anything is possible. I don't want you to worry but, there is also the possibility that the new device might have worse bleeding than the current one. I've heard at least two cases of that. You might want to bite the bullet and have them open the box at the time of the exchange. Good Luck!

noddy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, new to this forum having found it on the App Store

I bought a new ipad2 last Thursday (26th May) from the Apple Store in Birmingham. They have literally been havin deliveries every morning and selling out by midday, so I'm confident it's not old stock.
I haven't opened it yet due to work commitments. Ive just found this thread and wasn't aware of the screen issue.
I have to say, I'm tempted to take it back for a refund, as I'm frightened to open the box and check it! I'm a fussy person and my usual thing is to scrutinise new purchases for marks, scratches, imperfections etc. Now this!

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
noddy said:
Hi, new to this forum having found it on the App Store

I bought a new ipad2 last Thursday (26th May) from the Apple Store in Birmingham. They have literally been havin deliveries every morning and selling out by midday, so I'm confident it's not old stock.
I haven't opened it yet due to work commitments. Ive just found this thread and wasn't aware of the screen issue.
I have to say, I'm tempted to take it back for a refund, as I'm frightened to open the box and check it! I'm a fussy person and my usual thing is to scrutinise new purchases for marks, scratches, imperfections etc. Now this!

Hi noddy. We are all fussy when it comes to our iPads. Don't be afraid, go ahead and open the box and begin enjoying this incredible machine! :)

noddy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'll bust it open tomorrow night then. I need to make sure it's ok by this Thursday as the 14 days are up then

Most reactions