What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple Replacing Some iPad 2s for Backlight Bleeding Issues

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
iPad_2_backlight_bleed.JPG

Going by a report on iLounge today, it would appear that the backlight bleeding problem on iPad 2s has been acknowledged by Apple, so much so that Apple is now swapping iPad 2s that are presenting with the issue. However, according to the iLounge report, several of their readers have informed them that the replacement iPad 2 that they have been given still has the same problem as the one that was deemed faulty, and in fact some of them are even worse. The above photo comes from the iLounge website, and shows an original iPad 2 on the left, and the iPad 2 replacement for the faulty unit on the right, which appears to have even more backlight bleed on the edge of the screen than the one on the left.

iLounge’s editors have tested seven iPad 2s, and found one to be perfectly fine with no sign of any backlight bleed issues, three that only have a problem when used in very dark conditions with the brightness turned all the way up, and the rest where the problem is clearly visible on dark screens when viewed in daylight.

Source: Reports: iPad 2 replacements still bleed light | iLounge News

shuiping56

iPF Noob
Reaction score
involving the Apple iPad and Forum news will be posted here. News in this section will be posted to the front p

Dark Lazer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That sucks. Kinda makes me worry about my iPad when it eventually arrives at Best Buy. With my luck, it'll be a sever case of bleeding light which will then take several weeks to be replaced, only to find out it still has the same problem.

Tseg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had my iPad 2 for several days before I knew the potential problem exists. Rarely is my screen completely black but learned you could use Photo and cover camera lens to make screen black. Anyway, I had backlight glow near iPad button and got all freaked out (for really no good reason). Now it is several days later and I no longer see that glow. Anyway, now it looks like I have zero backlight issues.

Wisco

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a minor bleeding issue right by the home button as well. I'm not sure if it bothers me enough to return it though.

Torria

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How can you tell if you have a back lighting problem?

Sent from my iPad using iPF. Torria

Wisco

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How can you tell if you have a back lighting problem?

Sent from my iPad using iPF. Torria

It should be visible when the edges of the screen go black....like when watching a video or viewing photos, or in some games.

TravsiPhoneHelp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPad has this really bad, just like the one on the right in the picture. Can I go to the apple store and get it replaced?

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
TravsiPhoneHelp said:
My iPad has this really bad, just like the one on the right in the picture. Can I go to the apple store and get it replaced?

Yep. But be patient in case there's a shortage. Usually they keep a supply on hand for warranty exchanges.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad using iPF

Seraph011

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have some very slight bleeding from upper right orner of the screen..its too much of an issue for me really but will it cause any damage in the lon run? If not, id rather not exchange it since i might get an even more "bleedy" ipad2...but if it will cause problems later on, then of course ill have to exchange it.

iMadHatter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
makes me want to wait until this issue is solved. I dont want to settle for "well its not that bad" you should expect and receive 100% working properly product that does not have these issues.

I think it will be smart for me to wait until more then 1/7 dont have any issues.

Daniel Blystone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the smallest bit of bleed near the home button. It is like having one dead pixel on a monitor in the very corner of the screen. Is there an issue with the bleed getting progressively worse?

Most reactions

Latest posts