What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who has Backlight bleeding?

Do you have an issue with backlight bleeding on your iPad 2 and how severe is it?

• Yes, very noticeable. Time for an exchange.

Votes: 29 21.3%
  • A little but nothing major. It's a keeper.

Votes: 53 39.0%
  • No signs of any at all.

Votes: 54 39.7%

• Total voters

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Okay, seems the biggest complain with the iPad 2 is backlight bleeding but reports still seem a bit hit or miss so I figure it is time for a poll to gauge how widespread this issue is.
So the question is simple - do you have an issue with backlight bleeding on your iPad 2 and how severe is it?

the_john

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No problems here at all.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

dmaul1114

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Minor on mine. Some visible on a black screen in a dark room, but not visible in normal usage for me. It seems that is the best you can get right now from posts on Macrumors and other boards. All seem to at the least show bleeding in a dark room on a black screen.

dmaul1114

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To the people that say no problems, try a black screen like Blackle - Energy Saving Search in a room with no lights on (like a bathroom with the lights off) and the brightness on the iPad turned up.

Mine has no problems in normal use, but does show bleeding in that condition. And from other forums I haven't seen anyone post that they didn't have it that condition.

Personally, I think that's a non-issue anyway as long as it's not noticeable in normal usage. Just curious if there really are some ipads out there with truly no light bleeding even in the black screen/dark room/high brightness test.

Mandrake

iPF Noob
Reaction score
New here!

I notice it when booting up under the right conditions. It's not distracting as long as I don't stare at a black screen. ;)

dmaul1114

iPF Noob
Reaction score
New here!

I notice it when booting up under the right conditions. It's not distracting as long as I don't stare at a black screen. ;)

One reasonable "normal usage" test is to watch a letter boxed video in netflix or the ABC player etc. and see if you notice it in the black bar areas.

It's not bad on mine--only noticeable if I'm watching in the dark and still not bad then. But others on Macrumors and other sites have posted pics showing a lot worse bleed during videos than what I have.

Tarkio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To the people that say no problems, try a black screen like Blackle - Energy Saving Search in a room with no lights on (like a bathroom with the lights off) and the brightness on the iPad turned up.

Mine has no problems in normal use, but does show bleeding in that condition. And from other forums I haven't seen anyone post that they didn't have it that condition.

Personally, I think that's a non-issue anyway as long as it's not noticeable in normal usage. Just curious if there really are some ipads out there with truly no light bleeding even in the black screen/dark room/high brightness test.
I tested using a completely black image from the camera, in a dark room. Fortunately I see no sign of backlight bleeding. I didn't try turning the display all the way up though as I never do that.

I've been using the new iPad heavily for the past week. Perhaps all the glue has dried.

Last edited:

overthetop75

iPF Noob
Reaction score
First one had a bad pixel and the second one had a very small ding on the bezel where the glass meets the metal. Decided to keep that one anyways since it will be cover up and this screen had no dead pixels or bleeding.

Futurebird

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To be honest if I didn't read the tech blogs I never ever would have noticed this issue. If I turn brightness all the way up (I mostly keep it set on low/medium to save power) and then, in a dim room I go to an app with a mostly black background (apps designed for then iphone work well, since they have that huge black border.) I see a little of the bleeding some folks have been talking about.

This really isn't going to hurt my enjoyment of my ipad since it's not visible when I use my favorite default settings... and even when it is visible, it's hardly noticeable.

However, I'm concerned that as the device ages this flaw could be magnified, so should I take it in for an exchange while I still have a chance? Anyone know, without apple care, how many days one has to exchange for something like this?

Anyone else have this "issue"? Is it important? Is it worth the hassle of doing a return?

Thanks for you input?

OP
donka

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
To be honest if I didn't read the tech blogs I never ever would have noticed this issue. If I turn brightness all the way up (I mostly keep it set on low/medium to save power) and then, in a dim room I go to an app with a mostly black background (apps designed for then iphone work well, since they have that huge black border.) I see a little of the bleeding some folks have been talking about.

This really isn't going to hurt my enjoyment of my ipad since it's not visible when I use my favorite default settings... and even when it is visible, it's hardly noticeable.

However, I'm concerned that as the device ages this flaw could be magnified, so should I take it in for an exchange while I still have a chance? Anyone know, without apple care, how many days one has to exchange for something like this?

Anyone else have this "issue"? Is it important? Is it worth the hassle of doing a return?

Thanks for you input?

I would probably keep it. If it gets worse over the year you can take it to an Apple Store for a replacement. And of course after a year you will already have sold it for the iPad 3! ;)

Rambler358

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Minor on mine. Some visible on a black screen in a dark room, but not visible in normal usage for me.
Mine is pretty much this way for me as well.

However, part of my normal usage is reading at night with the lights low and white text on a black background. In this scenario I see the issue quite clearly. Daytime or other usage doesn't seem to be an issue. But when reading at night it's really starting to bug me, and distract from my reading. :(

All seem to at the least show bleeding in a dark room on a black screen.
I guess it's at least somewhat comforting to know that I'm not the lone ranger with this, but I wonder if it's an issue that can be used to get a replacement?

xune

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just got my iPad 2!

I notice a tiny bit of light bleeding from the bottom (a little to the right of where the home button is)

Couldn't see it unless I have the brightness at least halfway up and in almost complete darkness, with the screen totally black.

Definitely a keeper though. I waited long enough to get one, and these things aren't exactly easy to get!

Call me a happy camper: 64GB wifi :D

Cadena96

iPF Noob
Reaction score
this isn't really acceptable, mine is still on order through apple.com, I wanted it engraved...anyway, when you realize apple is a 80 billion dollar a year company...you'd think they'd do better....and yeah, they made 79.1 billion last year.....

Most reactions

Latest posts