What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple Looking into Using New LED Backlight Supplier for iPad 2

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
iPad_2_backlight.JPG

According to AppleInsider, China Times is reporting that Apple is currently looking into engaging a new LED backlight manufacturer to start supplying components for the iPad 2. The company in question, Everlight Electronics, has sent Apple samples of its LED backlight devices for certification, and is awaiting the results of Apple’s tests to see if and when it will be supplying parts to Apple. The company was founded in 1983 in Taipei, Taiwan, and has been supplying LED backlights with a brightness of 2,000 millicandelas to tablet makers based in Taiwan since March. It’s more than likely that Apple is simply looking to take on a new supplier in order to get more iPad 2s into the stores as soon as possible, but there’s always the possibility that it could be looking into changing suppliers due to the problems that some people have been reporting with backlight bleed-throughs on their iPad 2s.

Source: AppleInsider | Apple testing new LED backlight maker for iPad 2 supply chain

Knightoftheapp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yesterday, I went to my local Best Buy and spoke to a sales associate in the computer section and a sales associate in flat tv section. They both told me not to worry about this issue. The guy in the tv section put it best when he said that "Apple can be real anal (his word, not mine) about it's products. But that they are really good about recalling products if they need to be recalled".

The fact that Apple has NOT issued a recall (according to him) says that this problem is affecting an extremely small number of these machines. They have sold millions of these things since March and that given those circumstances no one should panic. If you end up having this problem Apple will be very good about helping you with this issue. As I understand it, all you have to do is send it back or return it to an Apple store.

My family owns a manufacturing firm. And I can tell you that no matter how much quality control you have, you're always going to have a few that slip through the cracks. The article is subtitled accordingly....

Apple testing new LED backlight maker for iPad 2 supply chain.

I think it's safe to take the article at it's word and not worry about this. I think your post was accurate as to the article's content. But when you state "there’s always the possibility that it could be looking into changing suppliers due to the problems that some people have been reporting with backlight bleed-throughs on their iPad 2s", that's obviously nothing more than conjecture on your part and (all due respect) I think that's irresponsible. People are concerned enough about this issue and when you make statements like that you're just adding to the panic that already out there.

No one on this forum (including myself) is a representative of Apple. Please make a better effort to stick to the facts.

DM51

iPF Noob
Reaction score
that's obviously nothing more than conjecture... I think that's irresponsible... you're just adding to the panic... Please make a better effort to stick to the facts..
Lighten up, huh? Probably 95% of the posts on this board are conjecture, rumor, speculation, guesswork, crystal ball gazing, day-dreaming or opinion. So are the posts and news items on sites like Engadget, AppAdvice and many others. Sometimes they turn out to be right, sometimes wrong. You want to stop all that just because it might not be 100% accurate? Never going to happen. In any case, Apple are big boys - they can look after themselves.

Maura does a great job here giving us all the latest news, and most of the time it is spot on.

Knightoftheapp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
that's obviously nothing more than conjecture... I think that's irresponsible... you're just adding to the panic... Please make a better effort to stick to the facts..
Lighten up, huh? Probably 95% of the posts on this board are conjecture, rumor, speculation, guesswork, crystal ball gazing, day-dreaming or opinion. So are the posts and news items on sites like Engadget, AppAdvice and many others. Sometimes they turn out to be right, sometimes wrong. You want to stop all that just because it might not be 100% accurate? Never going to happen. In any case, Apple are big boys - they can look after themselves.

Maura does a great job here giving us all the latest news, and most of the time it is spot on.

I'm sure Maura does a great job overall. I'm just trying to pass on what I've learned from people I consider more in the "know" on this subject than me.

Most reactions