What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

After 4.2 update, wifi intermittent

mipress

iPF Noob
Reaction score
WiFi works fine now

Hello, I did try rebooting but not the way you'd described (just slid power off and powered back on, didn't know about holding down home and sleep switch) but to no avail. I tried last night at a different restaurant w. wifi and at first it didn't work but for a different symptom. This time it just said it couldn't join that particular network. Switched to a different network also available there, and it worked. Switched back, used arrow, and turned http proxy on and then off. No idea if that's specifically what fixed it, but it worked. And I have not had a problem since (went to another place w. wifi and it worked fine there). Thank you for suggesting lease renewal, though.

Smilesbypayet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not sure if I should post this here or if there is another that would be more appropriate, but what if my WiFi has quit working completley? It took forever to get the update installed and working, and even though I now have most of the backup reinstalled, the WiFi simply will not go anywhere.

Yes, it sees the WiFi network, and I've entered the password, and the iPad shows that it is connected, but if I press Safari or the AppStore, nothing happens except that little circling progress thingy.

Suggestions?

Dunno if this will work but i once had the issue you are describing. I tried two things....

1. A reboot of the ipad (hold down the home and sleep buttons till you get the "Power off" option, slide the power off, hold down both buttons again till the apple logo appears)...

2. actually try this first. go to Settings, WiFi and hit the little arrow button next to your wifi router/network. there's a big button towards the bottom that says "RENEW LEASE"...try this. it resets the ip address (or something, someone here i'm sure knows exactly what it does). this did fix it for me.

there may also be authentication issues with your router. when i first got the pad it said i was "on" the router but the router wouldn't let me through to the 'net until i authorized the device (my router sucks and is wonky so i often have issues like this).

anyway i'd try RENEW LEASE and then REBOOT and see if those work. GOOD LUCK...i feel your pain....

Yup, tried those, too. Still no go.

Bradleys

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am having the exact same issues. WIFI shows connected, but I cannot connect to the Internet. I can fix it short term by going into settings and turning the WIFI off and back on - it will work for a little while, then the behavior returns.

jeffmdr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
intermittent wifi access

Have had this problem even before the OS upgrade.
Have the "n" router.

BrennB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try airplane mode on then off again sometimes that clears up lingering errors. Nothing else, could try to restore iOS and see if you get a cleaner setup.

Alfonso

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i have read various threads, on various forums & gained opinions from other ipad users.
on the whole, when the software upgrade works, fantastic, when is doesnt (which is more often than not) is a pain in he arse. very frustrating to know that apple are aware of this problem & not addressed the apple world that they are rectifying this situation. intermitant wif fi is just the worst.....it nearly works, then it does....then is doesnt.
my ipad nearly became the most expensive frisbee in the world.

Vatundra1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello all - Newbie here.
I too am having "performance" issue with the wifi. The ipad was lightning quick before the os upgrade. Now...it's like the ipad is on dial-up or simply doesn't load the page or app at all. I've tried the simple fixes (turn on/off, wifi on/off. even reset the router) I was thinking it may be an issue with my verizon fios but the laptops seem to be connecting just fine. IDK...very frustrating though.

Jue

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the same problem, I will go back to settings to reset the wi-fi. It's a short fix. Few minutes later, Internet will lost connection again. I am very frustrated about this problem.

pclark24

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Got this problem really bad. Yes I have tried all the fixes and suggestions in several forums. Works great while I am surfing but let it sit for a minute and wifi is gone. I did not have this problem at all before the 4.2 update. Not sure what apple fixed when they held back the release but it certainly was not this wifi issue. Pretty sad update.

Dannyboy85

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Having this too... It's a pain I just reset my router. Also, I have the same issue on my iphone4 on 4.2..... I am using a netgear n router.

60DegreeVVT

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OS 4.2.1 WiFi Issues

So... i have upgraded to 4.2.1 and i am experiencing the worst connectivity issue and maintaining connectivity with my WiFi.

I try and run Netflix and it pauses and stops.

I open up Safari and it says that it has stopped responding.

opening up Youtube works for about 23 seconds then it stops loading.

WTF is going on!?!?!

anyone else getting this issue?

Dgilchri

iPF Noob
Reaction score
WiFi issues

You are not alone! There are thousands experiencing the same thing!
I find 3G is faster than WiFi 90% of the time.
Nobody seems to know why and there has been no formal acknowledgement by Apple.

Hopefully, iOS4.3 will fix it, it is due any day now.

Just one thought however, check you don't have a load of Internet hungry apps running simultaneously- double click the button and shutdown anything you don't need that might be jostling for bandwidth, it can only help.
Good luck.

Vatundra1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Check apple's official ipad forum. There's a HUGE post over there about it, the possible fixes and post from people like you and me.

I did however hook up a new router at home and so far so good....but i suspect that wont last long. Still waiting to hear about a patch for this from apple.

Most reactions

Latest posts