What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

After 4.2 update, wifi intermittent

msimpsonnj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Got my iPad November 7th, worked great on my home wifi. Upgraded to 4.2, now my wifi connectivity is intermittent - it seems to cycle on and off. Apple telephone support tried to tell me that this could be because my router is wireless g instead of wireless n. I find it very hard to believe that Apple would not have made the iPad backward compatible to work with the type of wireless used by the majority of people. I suspect this is a continuation of the wifi bug that delayed the release of the update and the phone support dude didn't want to deal with it. Anyone else have this problem and any fixes?

Pocobear

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Go to SETTINGS -GENERAL - NETWORK - WIFI - Choose Network - to the right of your network name, tap the blue arrow, tap "Forget this Network" at the top of the page.
Now re-setup your network password and you should be good to go, we hope.

OP
M

msimpsonnj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks - I tried that last night to no avail, but I'll try it again when I get home this evening. Although I don't think this should matter, my network is secured only by mac address filtering (no password, but devices whose mac addresses are not in my filter cannot gain access). So to the extent part of the process is to re-setup my network password, there isn't one....

Thanks for the help, I'll post the results later tonight.

Al Rogers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My GPS program has stopped working,Im locked on to the map showing Vera Cruz which is the Headquarters for Motion X GPS. The grid co-ordinates are locked in on the building and I cant seem to change it no matter what I do. I contacted the developer and they told me it could be a chip falure in my iPad,thats strange because it was working fine prior to the update. Any GPS Motion X experts out there that can help me out. The GPS button is also stuck on manual. Thanks for any help.

Al.

Al Rogers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Maybe this post will help others with the same problem I HAD.After reading step by step the new Owners Guide I found out there is a setting called LOCATION SERVICE,you must put a check mark in the box and all mapping programs will work.

Al.

OP
M

msimpsonnj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
While I appreciate the information, Al, this post should really be posted as a new thread, as your issue has nothing to do with the WiFi issue I am having. I mention this only because in order for forums such as this to function properly, the posts in a thread should focus on the issue identified in the initial post and not go off onto tangents.

Thanks

Al Rogers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well I am using a Wi-Fi connection to acquire the satellites so I assumed it was a Wi-Fi problem I was having just like others were having with the Beta version. But I will pick up my marbles and stand in the corner.

Al.

chisaki

iPF Noob
Reaction score
While I appreciate the information, Al, this post should really be posted as a new thread, as your issue has nothing to do with the WiFi issue I am having. I mention this only because in order for forums such as this to function properly, the posts in a thread should focus on the issue identified in the initial post and not go off onto tangents.

Thanks

Looks like msimpsonni wants to control the forum. Well I was going to tell him how to fix his problem, it is a simple fix, but with his ego he should be able to find the answer himself.

OP
M

msimpsonnj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No, no desire to control the forum, just a polite request to keep threads on topic so that we all can find our answers without veering off course. If that's ego, so be it - I consider it being helpful to the forum as a whole. Frankly, if someone else has the GPS problem that Al experienced and solved, it will be much harder to find in this thread.

If anyone has experienced the intermittent WiFi problem and can help with the solution, please share, and I'll do the same. Thanks

hookbill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Before this thing goes any farther just keep in mind, be respectful to each other.

OP if you feel your thread is getting hijacked just report it and let one of us step in.

Al Rogers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was thinking about what msimpsonn said in his post regarding me not sticking to the thread and he being new to the iPad maybe he doesnt know that the ipad has the GPS function installed and it feeds off of Wi-Fi and 3G,if so there is no problem.

Al.

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can't say for sure that I have the same issue, but I have noticed that the wireless performance has changed a little bit for me as well since updating. In my house I have my main router in the basement, and it is a 802.11n router. To increase wireless coverage I also have an older 802.11g router running as a repeater upstairs. Before the update, I got much better performance connecting to the closer g router. Since the update I actually get better performance connecting to the n router despite the fact that the signal strength is much weaker. I ran periodic speed tests before and after the update, and my overall throughput is better connecting to a n based router after the update while it was better before the update connecting to the g based router. Perhaps the Apple tech was correct, although I can't understand why. I know Apple has been working quite a bit on wireless performance in the past few weeks, so perhaps things have been tweaked for newer router technology.

Sorry I don't have an actual solution, just my observations in the two days since the upgrade.

Do you have a 3G+wireless Ipad or just a wireless model?

Smilesbypayet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not sure if I should post this here or if there is another that would be more appropriate, but what if my WiFi has quit working completley? It took forever to get the update installed and working, and even though I now have most of the backup reinstalled, the WiFi simply will not go anywhere.

Yes, it sees the WiFi network, and I've entered the password, and the iPad shows that it is connected, but if I press Safari or the AppStore, nothing happens except that little circling progress thingy.

Suggestions?

mipress

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wi-Fi more than intermittent after 4.2 upgrade

Since I upgraded my iPad the other day to 4.2, now when I join a new wi-fi network, it shows I'm connected but never actually connects. Safari goes nowhere, just says "you are not connected to the internet" and the apps that require internet connectivity don't connect either. I do have to say that the few wi-fi connectons I've made have been at local restaurants but still why does it say and show a strong wifi connection but then simply not connect. How can this not be the very wifi problem that was supposed to be fixed but I think really isn't. Didn't have any problem like this before the 4.2 upgrade. P.S. What ABOUT location services?

Mitchgo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not sure if I should post this here or if there is another that would be more appropriate, but what if my WiFi has quit working completley? It took forever to get the update installed and working, and even though I now have most of the backup reinstalled, the WiFi simply will not go anywhere.

Yes, it sees the WiFi network, and I've entered the password, and the iPad shows that it is connected, but if I press Safari or the AppStore, nothing happens except that little circling progress thingy.

Suggestions?

Dunno if this will work but i once had the issue you are describing. I tried two things....

1. A reboot of the ipad (hold down the home and sleep buttons till you get the "Power off" option, slide the power off, hold down both buttons again till the apple logo appears)...

2. actually try this first. go to Settings, WiFi and hit the little arrow button next to your wifi router/network. there's a big button towards the bottom that says "RENEW LEASE"...try this. it resets the ip address (or something, someone here i'm sure knows exactly what it does). this did fix it for me.

there may also be authentication issues with your router. when i first got the pad it said i was "on" the router but the router wouldn't let me through to the 'net until i authorized the device (my router sucks and is wonky so i often have issues like this).

anyway i'd try RENEW LEASE and then REBOOT and see if those work. GOOD LUCK...i feel your pain....

Most reactions

Latest posts