What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3d tv

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So in a moment of madness late last year I bought myself a 3D TV but apart from a very few films I haven't actually found much that's worth watching in 3D. Surely that can't be right! If any of you know of any, at least half decent, 3D movies worth buying or renting please let me know......or else my TV may forget that it has the ability to play 3D movies.

The Archangel

OP
Gabriel1

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'd love to see that as I missed it at the cinema but can't find it on blu ray.

Most of the 3D movies I have seen are rubbish but a few gems amongst them......TT3D, A Christmas Carol and one that I can't remember!

The Archangel

AnonymousNoOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Look at www.bestbuy.com, 3D movies. See what you like. The Last Harry Potter was ok maybe cool in 3D.?
Also have seen the Nintendo 3DS their cool no 3D glass need.  

tazz3

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Avatar is the best 3d moive. i picked up a panasonic plamsa 3d tv last year the st30 its a nice tv,

OP
Gabriel1

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
tazz3 said:
Avatar is the best 3d moive. i picked up a panasonic plamsa 3d tv last year the st30 its a nice tv,

I went for a Toshiba passive LCD/LED 3D set as I didn't like the cost of the glasses in the active version......I tried both the passive and active in the shop and couldn't tell the difference. It is a great TV but so many 3D films are just plain rubbish......hopefully that will change soon. I also have a Panasonic 3D blu ray player which can make non 3D films become 3D and surprisingly it does quite a good job.

When is avatar going to be released on a 3D blu ray......everyone raves about it yet I can't seem to get it over here in the UK?

The Archangel

OP
Gabriel1

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well in my search for decent 3D movies I watched the latest version of The Three Musketeers last night and I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised. The film is a light hearted romp but a good light hearted romp and the 3D was there but neither overpowering or too little. There is a scene in a vault with lots of bullets/missiles flying around and this is excellent as well as the sword fighting (I am concerned that 3D may only really work in sword fighting films).

Still, my list of, well, just good and no more 3D films is countable on one hand.......somebody needs to pick the pace up if 3D is to really take off.

So my quest moves on (maybe I'll try Hugo next) but all is not lost for my 3D TV just yet.

The Archangel

OP
Gabriel1

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I watched Hugo, this has to be the best 3D film I have seen yet......not reliant on gimmicks like many other films, such as swords swooshing at the camera, everything seemed to be there for the purpose of the story. More films like this will convince me that 3D is alive and well.

The Archangel

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hugo!
That movie looks great-haven't watched it yet, but it's certainly on my list! I bet your 3-d tv was wonderful for viewing!

OP
Gabriel1

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is a lovely film, done with a French style but with a bit of comedy, which was really well done, Scorsese has surpassed himself!

The Archangel

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
They cleaned up at the Oscars for all the design work, etc.

My mom saw it and thought it was fabulous! I can't wait to see it, but will have to see it plain when it comes out on DVD! I'll have to throw things (popcorn or something) at my husband to get the 3d effect! :)

OP
Gabriel1

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can throw the popcorn for the snowy scenes! I think you will enjoy it in 2D, it's just a great film. I love French films and this reminds of one called A Very Long Engagement in style if not story.

The Archangel

OP
Gabriel1

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
MikesTooLz said:
depending on the tv you should be able to watch 2d movies in 3D.

My blu ray player converts 2D to 3D but it's obviously not as the director intended......so it's never going to be the best representation. I must read up on how that works as determining what is in the foreground and background on the fly from a flat image must be some process. I did try it on one film, can't remember which, and it wasn't bad. I may try it on Band Of Brothers, that would just be too good if it works well on that!

The Archangel

OP
Gabriel1

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Interesting info from the BBC, here in the UK they will be showing the two main Wimbledon finals, Olympic opening & closing ceremonies, men's 100m final and potentially the nightly highlights show all in 3D across all HD platforms......so it'll be a good test for sport in 3D on TV for those in the UK without subscription channels. I for one can't wait to see how good or bad it is, I'd better clean off those glasses and get the snacks in!

The Archangel

Most reactions