What is the perfect stand to use with the iPad in bed?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories for iPAD 1, 2 and 3' started by Surboy, Apr 23, 2011.

1. Surboy

Surboy iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am looking for a stand that will allow me to hold my iPad comfortably whilst using it in bed to read, watch movies, etc. Does anyone know what is the best choice of accessory stand available? Many thanks!
  2. JJK

JJK iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    I remeber seeing a picture of someone using his cat as a stand. I am trying to train mine, but she is a Forest cat and as soon as she hears a Gekko, she is gone hunting.

Sent from my iPad using iPF
    • Like Like x 1
  3. ipad 7

ipad 7 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Stand

I persuade my wife (married for 35 yrs.-seems like forever) to hold the ipad and turn the pages. It leaves my hands free to eat popcorn or pet my dog. It's wonderful, cheap and includes my wife in my hobby. :p
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Hayles66

Hayles66 iPad Expert

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +325 / 0
    You naughty boy! My hubby would kill me if I tried that one. I'm trying to get him to buy me a 64gb 3G so he can have mine but no luck so far. I just use my legs, cushion/ pillow or just the original apple cover to read in bed. Oh, yes, one of those lap trays with polystyrene balls in.
  5. JJK

JJK iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    I am sure your hubby won't do anythinng if you hold the Ipad and turn the pages. I am sure he will be very happy..........

Sent from my iPad using iPF
  6. Hayles66

Hayles66 iPad Expert

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +325 / 0
    Ha ha very funny. Unfortunately he gets me to do it on my own all the time.
  7. jasmynsway

jasmynsway iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Zaggmate all the way! My BF uses the switcheasy canvas. His works well too.
  8. madhatter61

madhatter61 iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Before we got our case, I fashioned a DYI support stand for bed using a standard clipboard. I had a piece of closed cell foam. Captured half of it with the big clip. Then the other half is a support for the iPad. Turn the clip board upside down with the clip down. Now the iPad is raised up from your body by a few inches and it is a lot easier to use. Cost is good. FWIW
  9. MikeVB

MikeVB iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    If I might chime in with an actual helpful answer... I don't know if either of these are the "best," but there are two I've been looking at, easily Google-able:

Spinpad - Ostensibly a desk-stand, but with the heavy base, reviews state it can also be used in bed. You can purchase this on Amazon for $29. It came out before the Ipad2 and I've read that they are "retooling" it for the Ipad2, but I see no reason why it wouldn't work with an Ipad2.

Iprop - This is a very intriguing floor-standing device with a goose-neck end for flexibility. I believe this goes for around $65 and will be available for purchase next month.

Others - I read some very informative thread a week or two ago that listed a large number of interesting, uh, pillow-talk options that sit on your lap. Do a forum search for "pillow" and you'll probably find it. If you can't find what you're looking for there, you're waaaaaay too picky. :p

Both products I mention also allow you to spin the Ipad to portrait or landscape positioning. Here are photos of the Spinpad, and Iprop, respectively:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    • Like Like x 1
  10. jasmynsway

jasmynsway iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    ouch! I thought my suggestion was helpful. I use my zaggmate in bed to watch video hands free with no problem.
  11. Gabriel1

Gabriel1 Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +749 / 0
    Now those are just sooooo cool and really nice website to boot!

The Archangel
  12. Diane B

Diane B iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +37 / 0
    I love my Propup for reading in bed. Works great for other uses too--reading without holding it, typing, etc but I bought this originally for reading in bed. http://propupstore.com/
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2011
  13. Nancybout

Nancybout iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm looking for a great one and two have my eye...Oberon.com and google best iPad cases five n one and wow I loved that one too!!!Usually I pick prrettttttty stuff but this five n one was just amazing lol
  14. Mountainbikermark

Mountainbikermark iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    +1 mine is usable in bed, sitting on the floor , on a sofa or chair, lawn chair, etc. It's very flexible because it's so well balanced

Support Our Troops!
    This post was Tapatalk approved
    Sent from my iPad
  15. MikeVB

MikeVB iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Sendbeer -- It DOES look awesome but maybe you missed the IProp I mention above. It seems to be exactly the same thing yet costs half the price of the Padholder. So why go with the latter? I'm on IProp's email list and was informed there will be an announcement this month of a shipping date next month (i.e., May, hope they didn't lie to me). So maybe you DO have the money for one of those two....

All in all there appears to be at least four of this flexible type stand for sofas and beds, etc. at least in this thread As far as I can tell the Iprop offers the best in functionality and value for price, but you gotta love that there are so many competing products -- we consumers win!!

iProp? -Hands-Free accessory for the Apple iPad ®
  16. Sendbeer

Sendbeer iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm on the iprops mailing list too. It also seems pretty cool. $80 is still a little expensive though. :) I'd have to know the top part is "upgradable" for future ipad3,4,5's before I made an actual investment.
  17. MikeVB

MikeVB iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    I appreciate you're thoughts. Personally I'd rather pay 10 bucks for it, but compared to the other stand at twice the price, and even proportionately to many desk stands, the IProp is an excellent value especially in form and unique function. Also, I really don't think the IPad is going to change so much that later versions wouldn't fit it -- in fact, it would be a colossal business mistake for Iprop to provide a product with built-in obsolescence when the world knows other Ipads are certain to follow.

The IProp certainly isn't for everybody, so ultimately one has to ask himself if this is what they are looking for and would really enjoy owning. If so and beyond that, denying it from yourself just might be a matter of cutting off one's nose to spite one's face. As for me, I already paid a first-class price for my Ipad that gives me first-class happiness; so I gotta figure why would I settle for a second class accessory? ;)
  18. Sendbeer

Sendbeer iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Out of my budget is probably a more apt answer actually. Having just spent $600 on the iPad and another $100 on a zaggmate I really need to cut my spending down. At least for the next month. I'll be keeping an eye on the iprop though. It's an interesting concept.
  19. MikeVB

MikeVB iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    I'd have to respectfully disagree. The email I received from IProp claims they sent out some units earlier this year but discovered a glitch that needed re-tooling, adding they had a choice of continuing to ship them or making the modification for a better stand to be shipped later ("May"). Any prudent person would have to consider that a reasonable situation for a newly introduced and obviously authentic product. But what do I know, only time will tell. If they lied to me, more than likely they won't get my business.

On the flip side, with folks hesitant to pay even the $80 for the Iprop, I'd have to wonder how many orders you seriously feel you'd get at the whopping price of $150, an amount almost 1/3rd the price of an actual Ipad.... Any way you slice it that's pretty exorbitant for the average Joe who isn't a doctor or lawyer. Both your and Iprop's stands seem to be wonderfully unique products and honestly, I'd LOVE either. I do wish you the best of luck but certainly you must recognize there are plenty of other desirable and less pocketbook-painful options out there. Tell ya what, make it $99.99 and we can talk. ;)
  20. MikeVB

MikeVB iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Here's Iprop's actual email of April 9th in its entirety if you or anybody else is interested. I see you were correct and I was incorrect in saying it had shipped previously. Otherwise they've made some definitive statements about availability (which I've bolded). Either what they say (update email by Saturday and ability to purchase next month) occurs and they get my business, or it doesn't and I back-track, cave, and probably buy yours. Hell, I gotta give it to you -- at least you came on board to promote and defend your worthy product. Brandon.....?

"Some of you have been waiting for the iPropâ„¢ to begin shipping for a few months now. First of all, we are very sorry that that has not happened in the time we first forecasted. I could go into great detail about the reason why, but the reality is, you just want to know when it will be available for order. Many of you are aware we featured the iPropâ„¢ at the International CES 2011 show in January. We were fully prepared to return from that show and begin accepting orders immediately. However, while at the show a design flaw was exposed. We were faced with the decision of shipping our first orders as they were, or taking the time to analyze the problem and correct it. We chose to improve the iPropâ„¢. This obviously came with a delay in getting the product into your hands and your iPad out of your hands. We have received emails expressing sincere emotions about the status of the iPropâ„¢. Some have even asked if this product is vaporware. I assure you this is not vaporware. Like I said, you probably only really care about when you can go to www.iProp.com and find that you can actually click "Buy Now". That answer is May. We will be sending another email before the end of April with an exact date. Thank you for your patience as we have been working to ensure that we can provide you the most versatile, highest quality accessory for your iPad.

Sincerely,
    Brandon Barnard, President
    Aspire Innovation, LLC"