Contemplating the iProp for my iPad2

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories for iPAD 1, 2 and 3' started by Videographer, Jun 5, 2011.

1. Videographer

Videographer iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Has anyone used the iProp, especially in bed for watching movies? The video and picture gallery make it look very versatile, but when you read the features it points out that the ridgid stand height is only 12" which is the height of my mattress, and the flexible stand height is only 24 ". It seems a bit short in stand length to be usable. I have also mounted the CoverBuddy by SwitchEasy and was wondering if I might have to remove it in order to fit the iPad on the stand. Any thoughts folks? Thanks.
  2. jthrall

jthrall iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    i bought a adjustable stand for the ipad2 from 5 and below for 5$, i put it on a TV tray next to the bed for us to watch... alot cheaper LOL
  3. Videographer

Videographer iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Never thought of a TV tray. Perhaps it's time for me to get creative :). I think my wife will agree that I've spent enough money on iPad accessories already. I'll see if I can jimmy-rig something.
  4. Sonicrobby

Sonicrobby iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    I was highly considering getting this, and I would if it weren't so expensive... There is an estand (I think it's called) which is a Chinese product (I'm a bit skeptical of the site though...) which might be bait taller and for about half the price.

But here is a question for you all, what is the flexible part of the stand called? Ive been wanting to make my own stand, but I've looked around home depot and couldn't find that material. Anyone know?

Edit: here is where I found that estand http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/455630953/flexible_stand_for_ipad.html
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
  5. Videographer

Videographer iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have thought about building something like it. The flexible tubing I'm not sure of. There is something called "flexible conduit" used, in part, to connect to lighting fixtures from an electrical junction box, but I think it's too flexible in that it won't hold much weight without bending. One can place a flexible rod of somekind inside to offer more rigidity. Biggest problem I foresee is coming up with some kind of holder for the iPad. If anybody has some ideas on constructing one, it would be much appreciated.

Just a thought. I'm wondering if an old "goose neck" type lighting fixture might work if you can jerry-rig a holding device to it.
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
  6. Patch adams

Patch adams iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I received my iprop a couple of days ago and I think it is great. A little pricey to import to the UK but I'm loving using the iPad hands free!
    Watching movies and iplayer etc is cool and I also have my Sonos controller on it most of the time. Check out the photos, sorry they were taken in an excited rush and probably don't show it off as best as possible.

Build quality is good, size and reach is good. Enjoy!

Attached Files:

7. ipadlover29

ipadlover29 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Irest by rain design

Ive been using this stand for the last week. My only complaint is that it was pricey. You can use it on a desk, sofa, bed or any level and unlevel surface. It works with my switch easy cover buddy on and smart cover. Its very light and adjustable.

iRest Lap Stand for iPad - intro
  8. Harley man

Harley man iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Do you think it would work with a thin back cover on it or would I have to take out of cover

from USA bucks county pa Sent from my iPad using iPF
  9. edwardlotz

edwardlotz iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    IProp great so far

So far it's great for everything in bed.
  10. jsh1120

jsh1120 iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0
    That's quite a recommendation.
  11. Videographer

Videographer iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Do you think it would work with a thin back cover on it or would I have to take out of cover

I emailed them about that and they mentioned that it will not work with a back cover.
  12. wvernon

wvernon iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    iPad 1 no way, fits very precice. iPad 2 had stick on foam shims to take up space. Might be able to jam it in there with a cover if you don't use the shims. Wouldn't count on it though. Love mine btw, shoved the base between the futon cushion and frame and the iPad is oriented along the backrest. Just lay here like a lox.
  13. darthluke12694

darthluke12694 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    How high does the iprop stand? I know its good for bed, but is it also good for someone sitting on the couch and being able to look at the iPad about eye level?
  14. Padeasel

Padeasel iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    iPad in Bed

a Bweasel iPad stand will offer everything you need. Now priced at 24.95, with free shipping to US customers, you will find no other stand offering so many handy uses as the 3 oz. Bweasel. Check out our web site and see the video and click the "laying in bed" link to see actual photos of a person using the Bweasel iPad stand in bed.
  15. wvernon

wvernon iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    iProp Features
  16. David79

David79 iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Wow ya I also spent only $5 at five below and I am very happy, have spent too much already why keep spending money on things you can find elswhere for a lot less money!

Sent from my iPad using iPF
  17. Mickey330

Mickey330 Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,832 / 0
    Yep, I had to send mine back. I have an iPad1 with a Zagg leatherskin on the back. Would not fit into the iProp. Very exact specs, that.

So, have to have a completely "naked" iPad to use the iProp.

Marilyn

P.S. I have no complaints about the iProp - it seemed a very good product. The company gave me zero hassles with return. I just didn't want to give up my Zaggskin for the iProp...
  18. Videographer

Videographer iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    That's what I thought. It's not a bother for me to remove the back cover each time I want to use this device, but you know what happens after awhile when you keep taking something off and putting it back on. After a number of times doing that, somethings going to break . . .
  19. darthluke12694

darthluke12694 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Ok I just got mine today and here is my review. All you have to assemble is the base and the stand that holds the iPad. It's very simple. It has a good design. I'm not worried about it tipping backwards. It may tip forward, but only if you push it. It holds the iPad 1 very snug. I don't know about the iPad 2, but it does come with supplies to make it work. Overall, it is a great product, and well built.
  20. mraif

mraif iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Seriously???