What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Want to use my IPAD in Italy

Kappi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am having trouble in italy I haven't been able to activate the tre sim it shows I am on the network. The store clerk told me it would be ready next morning. It is past 48 hours. Any ideas?

Go there again or any other tre spot , with your passport and let him check
again.

Where are you now?

xochipillitzin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am having trouble in italy I haven't been able to activate the tre sim it shows I am on the network. The store clerk told me it would be ready next morning. It is past 48 hours. Any ideas?

I would first make sure the MicroSIM is active in the Tre system, going to the store and checking.
Second, try resetting the Network by going: Settings>General>Reset>Reset Network Settings.
Make sure the carrier provider's APN settings read 'tre.it'
If this doesn't work, shut down the iPad and do a soft reset by holding both the Home button and the top right Power button at the same time for a few seconds until the iPad restarts from the Apple.

A cautionary note: Tre, as many other Internet providers, is capable of stealing your balance by allowing you to go 'under' for a few cents and if you try topping with let's say 5€, it will eat up your balance and not provide you with their promised 3GB a month, but instead charge you retail for kilobyte, careful.

Finally, remember that roaming in Italy can get expensive very fast.

Carlos

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry to hear you are having difficulty setting up Tre wireless with your iPad. Hopefully the suggestions here will help you.

I'd like to report that I just returned from two weeks in Italy and found that using Tre was flawless.

Although some people suggested that there is a Tre store at Rome airport, I did not attempt to go there because it is actually in a secure area in a different terminal from where I landed. I didn't think it would be possible to exit my terminal and then re-enter a different one since I had no boarding pass for a flight there.

Instead, I mapped out the nearest Tre store to where I was staying in Rome: located at Via del Corso, 417, 00186 Roma. This is in the general area of the Spanish Steps. I requested a SIM with one month data (3 GB) and paid cash in Euro (cost was 8 Euro, not 5 Euro as some others have reported here). I showed my passport, and asked the Tre store clerk to install the SIM and set it up. I was concerned that since I didn't have a laptop with iTunes, there may be trouble if I try to set it up. The clerk did not connect my iPad to any computer at all -- it took only a few minutes to complete the transaction and the SIM was activated and working immediately.

I had zero network problems anywhere in Italy. I traveled to Rome, Florence, Venice, and some pretty remote areas near where we stayed in Tuscany. Tre worked perfectly. In fact, having the iPad with Google Maps was a real life-saver as we had rented a car and used it to track us as we drove. After two wonderful weeks in Italy, we took 3 days to hang out in London. Used our same Tre SIM card to access the network there via roaming. No additional charges, again worked perfectly.

I couldn't have been happier with with performance and the price.

bcwolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the help. I went back to the store on th 3rd. The 2nd was a holiday. They did something and activated it immediately. When I had it finally it was amazing I can't get that kind of service in Vancouver. I am back in London for the day and using 3 here as well. It works well. That is why I went tre in Italy. I think it's great for short trips. 3 gb fo iPad is huge. I have 500mb a month at home for my iPhone and pay $25 cad. I'm impressed I will do this again. Can't wait till north America gets with the program

chason

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry to hear you are having difficulty setting up Tre wireless with your iPad. Hopefully the suggestions here will help you.

I'd like to report that I just returned from two weeks in Italy and found that using Tre was flawless.

Although some people suggested that there is a Tre store at Rome airport, I did not attempt to go there because it is actually in a secure area in a different terminal from where I landed. I didn't think it would be possible to exit my terminal and then re-enter a different one since I had no boarding pass for a flight there.

Instead, I mapped out the nearest Tre store to where I was staying in Rome: located at Via del Corso, 417, 00186 Roma. This is in the general area of the Spanish Steps. I requested a SIM with one month data (3 GB) and paid cash in Euro (cost was 8 Euro, not 5 Euro as some others have reported here). I showed my passport, and asked the Tre store clerk to install the SIM and set it up. I was concerned that since I didn't have a laptop with iTunes, there may be trouble if I try to set it up. The clerk did not connect my iPad to any computer at all -- it took only a few minutes to complete the transaction and the SIM was activated and working immediately.

I had zero network problems anywhere in Italy. I traveled to Rome, Florence, Venice, and some pretty remote areas near where we stayed in Tuscany. Tre worked perfectly. In fact, having the iPad with Google Maps was a real life-saver as we had rented a car and used it to track us as we drove. After two wonderful weeks in Italy, we took 3 days to hang out in London. Used our same Tre SIM card to access the network there via roaming. No additional charges, again worked perfectly.

I couldn't have been happier with with performance and the price.

We're heading to Italy the end of this month. Getting ready to purchase an Ipad. With all the checking it sounds like the Tre SIM is the way to go. How did you find out where the nearest store was located to you?

Carlos

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Chason - I found a nearby Tre location by going to this page: iPad. Since I was looking in Rome, I entered "Lazio" in the first drop down, then "Roma" in the second and third drop downs. It was a bit of work after that, but I cut and pasted addresses into google maps to see where they were in relation to the location I was staying. Enjoy your trip!

bcwolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Carlos thanks for the help. How long are you in Italy for. 5 days was too short. I miss it already. For me Tre was great and i recommend it to any traveler to Italy. I just recommend if it doesn't work by the next morning go back to the store. The important thing and how you know it works is when there is a G next to 3 italy. Otherwise you are not connected to the network. I printed off the codice fiscale off the website but I think it was just a little extra thing not necessary because the store seemed ready to do it without it. I went to the on via Caterina right outside SMN train station in Florence.

Jeremy

TedSunny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
IPAD 3G in Italy

I have just returned from 3 weeks in Italy. The day we arrive (in Rome), I went to Termini Station which was easy to get to as it is not only a train station but the main Bus hub as well. I bought a TIM (Telecom Italia) Sim Card for 10 Euros and 5 GB of service for 19 Euros!!!! The Sim was installed by the rep and activated in about 60 Seconds. After that I had continuous service from Southern Italy to the Swiss border with no lost service except for tunnels and very narrow remote valleys. Coverage was strong and better than either Verizon or ATT. TIM is the largest (by far) provider in Italy.

patenlaw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apologies for the dumb question, but does anyone know if there is a Tre store or a vendor who sells the Tre micro sim card for an IPad in any of the major airports in Rome? Namely the Fiumicino and Ciampino airports? I was told by a fellow in an AT&T store here in Boston that you can just go to a "kiosk" in an airport in Europe, or at least in Heathrow in London, and buy a microsim card that will fit in and work in an IPad.
Thanks in advance.
Larry

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apologies for the dumb question, but does anyone know if there is a Tre store or a vendor who sells the Tre micro sim card for an IPad in any of the major airports in Rome? Namely the Fiumicino and Ciampino airports? I was told by a fellow in an AT&T store here in Boston that you can just go to a "kiosk" in an airport in Europe, or at least in Heathrow in London, and buy a microsim card that will fit in and work in an IPad.
Thanks in advance.
Larry

For sure you can in Heathrow - but don't forget that, if you use it outside the UK, you'll get roaming charges.

Tim

dcmim

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tre card at airport

We went last fall and heard there was a tre store at Fiumicino -- apparently it is in the area with departing passengers, so you can't get there when you arrive. We looked at a number of places and ended up getting one at the tre store in the train station. 3 euros for more than enough for two weeks.

patenlaw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses regarding Tre (3).
Regarding the Telecom Italia card mentioned above, same question regarding the airports in Italy, Fiumicino and Ciampino. Is there a store or a kiosk there where one can get a TIM (Telecom Italia) micro sim card for an IPad2?
Thanks again in advance.

Most reactions

Latest posts