What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Using iPad with mobile data outside the UK

davethekeys

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi there. I'm in the UK and have iPad with Wi-Fi and 3G (mobile data). For 3G I use a micro-Sim, Pay As You Go, from the 3 network. I want to know how to use the 3G facility outside the UK. I am travelling to the US on vacation in a couple of weeks.
I asked customer service at 3 and they were little help, just sending me a data sheet on using a mobile phone outside the UK!
Do I need to buy a PAYG micro-SIM from a store whilst I'm the US?
Or do I just turn on roaming on my iPad and it'll use my 3 micro-SIM?.
Hope someone can help me.
Cheers. Dave.:confused:

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi there. I'm in the UK and have iPad with Wi-Fi and 3G (mobile data). For 3G I use a micro-Sim, Pay As You Go, from the 3 network. I want to know how to use the 3G facility outside the UK. I am travelling to the US on vacation in a couple of weeks.
I asked customer service at 3 and they were little help, just sending me a data sheet on using a mobile phone outside the UK!
Do I need to buy a PAYG micro-SIM from a store whilst I'm the US?
Or do I just turn on roaming on my iPad and it'll use my 3 micro-SIM?.
Hope someone can help me.
Cheers. Dave.:confused:

I have a '3' SIM on my iPad too. If you want to roam, then you need to call '3' to have this enabled - by default you don't have roaming enabled on a '3' SIM. However, having said that, it's almost always going to be cheaper to purchase a PAYG SIM in the US or use a WiFi hotspot. You can obtain AT&T SIMs very widely in the US - microSIMs are a little more difficult, so you might want to invest in a SIM-cutter (see Amazon) that can trim the excess plastic off a 'regular' SIM. AT&T offer several data plans (see their web site) specifically for the iPad too.

However, I visit the US very frequently and I typically rely on free WiFi hotspots for 90% of the time and use my '3' SIM for the few times that I can't get WiFi coverage. But remember (a) to get it enabled by '3' and (b) turn on cellular roaming in your iPad's 'Settings' menu.

Have a great trip.

Tim

OP
D

davethekeys

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Tim, that's great. When I call '3' to have roaming enabled, is there some reference on the micro-SIM I should be quoting them? Once again, thanks, Dave:)

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Tim, that's great. When I call '3' to have roaming enabled, is there some reference on the micro-SIM I should be quoting them? Once again, thanks, Dave:)

'Settings', 'General', 'About', 'Cellular Data Number' is what they'll want - it's the 'mobile number' of your SIM.

Tim

Most reactions

Latest posts