What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Want to use my IPAD in Italy

CMFox

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We are too fortunate enough to be going to Italy this September.

We also want to use our ipad (#1, 3g-wifi) as a navigation device, browser, web access, etc. (Do the map apps work in Italy? Ie do they have Italian maps?) We will be driving some & taking the train some. Pardon my American ignorance this is my first trip to Europe....actually my first trip abroad!

And I barely understand sim cards. So more info then less will be helpful. I know....sigh. What I think I know...is that an Italian sim card will hook my iPad up to Italian 3G (and wifi?) so I can use my map apps, safari, google etc. just like I do here. Right?

We are flying into Pisa....and will be mostly in Northern Italy....Is there a good place in Pisa to acquire a sim card. And which card?

What I am see in this thread, is I should find a Termini Station and get a TIM sim card....which a rep will install in my iPad and activate.

Or do you all recommend a TRE sim card?

I will leave my ATT sim card at home.

Any advice would be so very useful.... Thank you. We're all so excited, Italy has been on our "must do list" for years.

Grazie. :)

CM

DM51

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's useful to have offline maps installed on your iPad in case you can't get a 3G signal. There's an app called CityMaps2Go which is good - it costs $1.99, but that is a one-time payment and you then have free access to their entire database of 1,000s of cities worldwide - you can download as many as you need.

As with all apps, keep an eye on the price as they go up and down the whole time.

sas8888

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just got back from Italy last week. I was able to use the navigation program TomTom western Europe with no problem. I also wanted to get 3G service and walked into a Tim store and they said that I needed to give them a copy of my passport. I didn't have my passport so they would not help me. I walked into another Tim store and they were very helpful only requiring my drivers license. The price was something like 20 euros to sign up and 2 euros per week for 250 mb or something like that. The system worked very well. Not sure how but when I traveled to Spain for two days it also worked there. I also used triposo travel guides so get some info in the cities that they offer the guides for. They are free for downloading. Another nice program that I use is trip-it for keeping track of the airline travel, hotels, and car rentals. Don't forget to download a few books to read on the airline. Enjoy your trip.
Scott

johnh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Still figuring out the process for posting properly, so please be patient. Traveling to Italy in a few weeks so very interested in posts re gps and micro sims - much thanks to p&p and others. Has anyone experience with the Navmii Italy GPS HD app?

weavinator

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I ám arriving in Bologna Italy Sion. Just realized i Fordot my ipad2 charger. Where can i buy one, near The trainstation?

Flemming

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi there,i am in Italy now, just bought the 3 micro sim 3 GB / 5€ month, start fee 8€ incuded the first 3 GB. Sim works perfectly, Skype, email etc. Need pass port to buy, Will work on 3 network in other countries, ie UK, Denmark, Sweden, Austria and more, check HomePage 3 it and use translate, easy.

patenlaw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Question about 3 (Tre) Microsim

Hi and thanks for the information. Where did you go to buy the Tre card? Can you get one at the airport?

Flemming

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I Got it from a 3 shop in a shopping center, i think you can get it at any tre (3) shop in italy, they are situated on most
high Streets and in shopping centres, maybe even in some airport.

dcmim

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi and thanks for the information. Where did you go to buy the Tre card? Can you get one at the airport?
I couldn't find one at the airport and I looked everywhere. I got mine at the train station

bskuared

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I notice that folks are now leaning toward the Tre micro sim as opposed to Vodafone. Wondering if this is a cost issue? Which gets better service in Florence and Tuscany? I have a 5 hour layover in Rome and will most likely try to take care of this at the airport.

Temabey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Saro' in campagna vicino a Firenze per 4 mesi. Dove posso trovare il micro sim della Tre? Da euronics o qualcosa del genere?
Tante grazie

Most reactions

Latest posts