What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Want to use my IPAD in Italy

godcape

iPF Noob
Reaction score
P&P recommend Tre(3) and I am going to try 3 in Italy this month.
P&P is very helpful for me too. Thanks.

P&P says, About the settings you can plug your iPad to iTunes and it makes everything automatically or you could type "tre.it" in the APN settings.

Also.....to fab138, I thought mobile shops everywhere in Roma, but not!!!
I thought easy to find in Roma but not. I had to go to web site and find the shop.
So best way is try to find the shop and print the map before you go.

fab138

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks godcape. You're heading to Italy this month? I'll be heading there in Aug. If you don't mind posting back here with any problems you run into getting and using your SIM or if you have any advice based on your experience get a uSIM from tre that would be helpful.

Thanks again for the help.

godcape

iPF Noob
Reaction score
fab138
I am going to Sicily from 24th July to August 6th 2010.

Last month I went Roma.
I bought Vodafone Micro SIM for my iPad for €2 per Day include credit.
Vodafone, you have to buy €30 as credit. And have to tell them which Plan you want to take.
I took €2 per Day plan. So that next time when I am in Italy, I can use it again.

iPad Vodafone: piani per navigare sul tuo iPad con le tariffe Vodafone

You have to do the Settings in Settings/Cellular Data/ I have to type Vodafone APN manually input APN in setting web.omnitel.it. Otherwise not able to surf in internet.
If you connect to your iTune, it will setup automatically, but if you are traveling, you have to type manually.
Also when put SIM in, you will be asked PIN number and PUK number.
Pin number is for lock the SIM. You can go to setting and take SIM lock off. Then you do not need to type tis number all the time before use.
Assistenza iPad-VodafoneCertified - vodafone lab

APP application for Vodafone Italy in iTune store. My 190 per iPad. Download and install this “My 190 per iPad†if you use vodafone. This app you can see how much you spend etc. Also where is the shop.
iPad Vodafone: con My 190 accedi ai servizi Vodafone direttamente dal tuo iPad

Also there is video for help.
Inserimento Micro-SIM iPad-VodafoneCertified - vodafone lab

I am goint to try buy Tre (3) SIM this time.
If you are just one off traveling in Italy, then Tre is better.
€5/ month I think.

Carlos

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow - am I ever glad I found this forum and this discussion topic! I'm planning a trip to Italy in October. Will likely fly into Venice Marco Polo airport. Does anyone know if there is a Tre (3) shop in the airport or nearby? I tried looking on their website but my Italian is non-existent. Thanks for any help.

p&p

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow - am I ever glad I found this forum and this discussion topic! I'm planning a trip to Italy in October. Will likely fly into Venice Marco Polo airport. Does anyone know if there is a Tre (3) shop in the airport or nearby? I tried looking on their website but my Italian is non-existent. Thanks for any help.

Hi,

I don't remember to have seen a 3 shop in Marco Polo.

I had a look on 3 website and there isn't any indication about that.

Sorry.:(

p&p

gowick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok to change this a little.

My friend wants to buy an ipad here in the states, and send it home with his relative for her to use permanently in italy.

Does Voda, or 3, have a recurring plan that they can use, similar to the $30.00 postpaid plan here in the states?

fab138

iPF Noob
Reaction score
P&P not sure how your experience has been going with 3 but I just saw that Vodafone just came out with a new plan. I can't read Italian so I'm not sure if it's great or requires a contract. And I'm not sure if there coverage is as good as 3 in Italy. Anyone able to comment?

p&p

iPF Noob
Reaction score
P&P not sure how your experience has been going with 3 but I just saw that Vodafone just came out with a new plan. I can't read Italian so I'm not sure if it's great or requires a contract. And I'm not sure if there coverage is as good as 3 in Italy. Anyone able to comment?

Hi fab138.

It looks like the previous plan: rechargeable and subscription.

Vodafone has normally a better coverage than 3.

The problem is how much you want to pay and how many bytes you need.

Bye.

p&p

p&p

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Hi fab138,

if you need more information about Vodafone web and its internet plan for iPad, I could try to help you.

Bye

p&p

fab138

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks P&P
In your opinion do you think 3 is better for a short trip of two weeks?

p&p

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks P&P
In your opinion do you think 3 is better for a short trip of two weeks?

Hi fab138,
I think it's ok: you could buy it, use the 5 euro included traffic (3GB/month), without subscription, and at the end of your trip "throw away" anything...

Bye.

Check the coverage where you will be.

p&p

dcmim

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ipad and Sim card in Italy

silly question... maybe.. but to buy a sim card to use with an IPAD when traveling to ITaly from the US... do I need to have an IPAD with 3g?

godcape

iPF Noob
Reaction score
silly question... maybe.. but to buy a sim card to use with an IPAD when traveling to ITaly from the US... do I need to have an IPAD with 3g?

But if you buy only SIM in US, Data roaming (internet and e-mail..) charges are very expensive to use in Italy (Europe)
I bought mobilitypass multi-country SIM to take to Europe before, it was very very very expensive. €50 in 20 mins maybe...

Just like P&P says, buy the WiFi dongles for Mac&PC, or Buy a SIM only for iPad, or buy a SIM only for your WiFi Key router for Pay as you Go.

In Rome, there are vodafone and 3 shop in the Airport.
They can speak English too. ( I found out these shops when I was going back to UK) But I found shop in Italy OK.

If you have iPad, just buy pay as you go SIM in Italy at 3 or vodafone is best.
or
You buy USB dongle for your Laptop with SIM card. (Pay as you go)

Other wise hardware, even dongles and WiFi routers are maybe locked and cannot take other company SIM card.

Also a lot of hardwares are start using Micro-SIM card too, you better to check that too.

I have a iPad in UK and use in UK, when I go to Italy, I change my SIM to Italian vodafone SIM in my iPad. Work OK and very cheap!!!
€2/day.

fab138

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi godcape. You back from Sicily? Was curious if you had any problems getting your SIM from 3 and how well it worked for you during your trip?

Most reactions

Latest posts