What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can I use an "ATT Go No Contract" sim in my iPad?

rjolin01

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
My lovely wife bought me a used iPad 4 for Fathers Day. The listing said "WiFi" version so we assumed it was just that a WiFi iPad. Upon receiving it and playing around I discovered it's an ATT version. I don't have ATT as a cellular carrier and Cellcom (my carrier) said they can not activate it with their SIM cards. I was wondering if anyone knows if I purchase an ATT Go SIM card will it work? I don't want to enter so ridiculous contract so would prefer it to be a pay as you go.

Thanks for any input,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My understanding is that yes, you can activate an AT&T SIM in the iPad.

You can get an AT&T SIM from AT&T store (in person or online). Then, you sign up for a month-to-month plan. I am unsure whether you can do this on the iPad itself or if you have to contact AT&T. I think they have various plan sizes (various dollar amounts for various data size plans).

While I was looking this up, I see that AT&T is waiving the activation fee through the end of this month. So, maybe contact them directly?

Regardless, hope this helps and good luck.

Marilyn

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Most of the pay-as-you-go phone plans don't offer data, just voice and text. You're best bet is to contact AT&T directly to make sure that the plan will include data, and how much at what price.

I'd also contact T-Mobile. They have some innovative data plans and will 'probably' work with the iPad 4, AT&T model.

Mobilearts

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got an iPad 1 with cellular when they first came out. You sign up for the ATT service on the tablet. You do not have to have a phone cellular account. This is separate from any other account you may have with AT&T. If your iPad 4 is a cellular tablet you go to settings, if it says "Cellular data" turn that on and you can create an account there. You will be charged for the period you choose for a certain amount of data. You will be notified by email when either your data amount is up or you time is up. You may renew at that time or not. If you choose not to renew, you can renew at any time later. Their is no contract. When I recently purchased a 4g cellular iPad Air I inquired at the store if this option was still available they said no, I needed to apply for a data plan at the AT&T kiosk in front of the store. The AT&T people insisted that such a plan did not exist and I needed a data plan through them and a phone as well. I ignored these suggestions went home turned on the cellular and signed for the no contract on the iPad Air. AT&T is many companies and they don't all know about each other. I get a land line bill from one AT&T, an AT&T internet Uverse bill from another, and the IPad is billed separate from those two.

Most reactions

Latest posts