What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TUTORIAL - Failsafe method to restore the current version of IOS

projekt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm using the method described in the tutorial to restore from jailbreak. I'm selling my ipad and wanted to remove all my stuff plus remove jailbreak. I did all steps and I'm trying to restore with ios6. During the restore process, itunes lands on 'restore ipad firmware' and the bar below the apple on my ipad goes to about 3/4 of the way or so and just stalls out. I've waited for 20 minutes with nothing happening. Is this typical or is something wrong? It's very strange, I figured something would be happening by now.

Thanks for the help!

Vrishabh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
PLEASE HELP ME NO ONE IS ANSWERING ME my post was :
Thank you I got it out of DFU mode , but I have 1 more problem .when I open tiny umbrella and go to advanced the box which I should
uncheck is like transparent I can't touch it (click it) my iPad was connected but the box was still
transparent .what should I do .when I tried to restore it anyway the error3194 came.so that means the host files are still
there please help me.
Please help me I need to remove my jailbreak to get ios 6 please help me .
Thanks in advanced.

manipulator

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Solved.

3194 means you are not following step 2 in this tutorial properly before trying to restore iOS 6.

You cannot under any circumstances restore anything but 6.0 on your device now, sorry.

Hi, you are right, I missed the hosts file part, I notice it but have no idea that "gs.apple.com" is actually pointing to Cydia.
Now I cleaned the hosts file and restored my iPad IOS 6 successfully.
Thank you very much.

manipulator

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Vrishabh, just forget about the tinyUmbrella.
1.) run your notepad with administrator right, the load the hosts file, just delete xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx gs.apple.com, then save.
2.) Put your iPad into DFU mode, and load iTunes...every should be smooth from there onward.

Vrishabh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm sorry manipulator i didn't understand you.What does notepad have to do with this .I have a windows comp.How do i load my host files .How do you run a notepad with administrator and what does xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx gs.apple.com mean.please help me.I don't understand anything so please can you make it more simple.
Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

Fid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Vrishabh said:
I'm sorry manipulator i didn't understand you.What does notepad have to do with this .I have a windows comp.How do i load my host files .How do you run a notepad with administrator and what does xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx gs.apple.com mean.please help me.I don't understand anything so please can you make it more simple.
Thank you in advance.

Greets Vrishabh,
You are going to have to use the notepad program to edit the file named hosts. You must be an administrator on the windows machine to do this.
What Manipulator means is right click on the program notepad and select 'run as administrator'. You may have to enter an administrator password Next choose File, then Open. In the screen to choose a file to open go to the C: drive, then Windows, System32, Drivers, etc., hosts. You may have to select 'all files' from the 'file type' area to be able to see this file.
In this hosts file there may be a line that has a group of numbers followed by gs.apple.com. The xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx represent the numbers. It could be something like 111.222.333.444. I have no idea what the numbers in your machine might be.
Manipulator said to delete the line with the numbers and gs.apple.com and then save the file. After that you should be able to fix the error you were having in the first place.
Please come back and let us know if you have success.
Fid

Sent from my iPad using iPF - Peace

aoadebayo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
"You can always make an appointment at any Apple Store and they will restore it there for you. If they cannot do it, they you will know for sure it is a hardware fault."

Finally, I was able to restore my IPad using the jail break software as directed in one of your other thread. Thank you for the assistance but I like to ask if there is any major implication for using the jail break on my IPad.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
"You can always make an appointment at any Apple Store and they will restore it there for you. If they cannot do it, they you will know for sure it is a hardware fault."

Finally, I was able to restore my IPad using the jail break software as directed in one of your other thread. Thank you for the assistance but I like to ask if there is any major implication for using the jail break on my IPad.

If you mean that you have restored to stock iOS - then no, there is no trace of the jailbreak. You have a stock iPad and there are no traces.

If your iPad is still jail broken, the I'm afraid that you'll have to give more details. As in, what specifically are you concerned about?

Marilyn

aoadebayo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I now have cydia on my iPad and I don't know if it has any implication. I was able to restore my backup but i have to download all the applications again without extra charges. If I delete the cydia, is there any implication for it?

Wale

manipulator

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Vrishabh, I hope Fid explanation have make the steps clearer for you. We assume you are using Win Vista/ 7.

Thanks Fid. =)

Vrishabh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you both Fid and manipulator very much I could finally restore my iPad thanks a lot you really helped.
I'll come here if I have anymore problems :) .

Fid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi Vrishabh, I am glad that you had success. Thank you for coming back and letting us know.
Come back any time, even if your iPad is running just fine. Drop in and say hi.
Fid

Vrishabh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Greets Vrishabh,
You are going to have to use the notepad program to edit the file named hosts. You must be an administrator on the windows machine to do this.
What Manipulator means is right click on the program notepad and select 'run as administrator'. You may have to enter an administrator password Next choose File, then Open. In the screen to choose a file to open go to the C: drive, then Windows, System32, Drivers, etc., hosts. You may have to select 'all files' from the 'file type' area to be able to see this file.
In this hosts file there may be a line that has a group of numbers followed by gs.apple.com. The xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx represent the numbers. It could be something like 111.222.333.444. I have no idea what the numbers in your machine might be.
Manipulator said to delete the line with the numbers and gs.apple.com and then save the file. After that you should be able to fix the error you were having in the first place.
Please come back and let us know if you have success.
Fid

Fid i'm really sorry but then i can't find host files on my computer .I mean i go to C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc but then there is no host files there there is only :"networks ","protocols" and "services" i'm sorry i told i restored my ipad cause my bro told me he did .but then when i saw it wasn't restored and tried it myself the host files were'nt there please help me .
thanks in advance

Fid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Vrishabh said:
Fid i'm really sorry but then i can't find host files on my computer .I mean i go to C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc but then there is no host files there there is only :"networks ","protocols" and "services" i'm sorry i told i restored my ipad cause my bro told me he did .but then when i saw it wasn't restored and tried it myself the host files were'nt there please help me .
thanks in advance

Hello again,
What version of Windows do you have? (XP, Vista, 7)
Also, if you look in Computer (XP calls it My Computer), and then double click on the C: drive. At the top of the window there should be a set of choices File, Edit, View, etc. one of these is Tools. Click Tools and then click Folder Options. When the little window pops up select the middle tab called View. Now in the center section scroll down until you see and can choose Show Hidden a files And Folders. Then choose apply and OK.
Now back in the directory listing of the C: drive double click on the windows folder. Next double click on the system32 folder. Double click on the drivers folder. Lastly double click on the etc folder. You should now see a file called hosts.
Right click on the hosts file and choose Open With. In the Open With window choose Notepad. If you don't see notepad as a choice you may have to click the browse button.
After you edit the hosts file with Notepad make sure you save the file. In the options of the Save window make sure the Files of Type is set to use All Files. The hosts file does not have a file extension. It should be just hosts, not hosts.exe or hosts.txt.
You should not have to restart your computer for the edited hosts file to take effect. Now when you do the iPad restore it will point to the real apple site.
Good luck,
Fid

Most reactions

Latest posts