What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TUTORIAL - Failsafe method to restore the current version of IOS

Vrishabh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello again,
What version of Windows do you have? (XP, Vista, 7)
Also, if you look in Computer (XP calls it My Computer), and then double click on the C: drive. At the top of the window there should be a set of choices File, Edit, View, etc. one of these is Tools. Click Tools and then click Folder Options. When the little window pops up select the middle tab called View. Now in the center section scroll down until you see and can choose Show Hidden a files And Folders. Then choose apply and OK.
Now back in the directory listing of the C: drive double click on the windows folder. Next double click on the system32 folder. Double click on the drivers folder. Lastly double click on the etc folder. You should now see a file called hosts.
Right click on the hosts file and choose Open With. In the Open With window choose Notepad. If you don't see notepad as a choice you may have to click the browse button.
After you edit the hosts file with Notepad make sure you save the file. In the options of the Save window make sure the Files of Type is set to use All Files. The hosts file does not have a file extension. It should be just hosts, not hosts.exe or hosts.txt.
You should not have to restart your computer for the edited hosts file to take effect. Now when you do the iPad restore it will point to the real apple site.
Good luck,
Fid

Sent from my iPad using iPF - Peace

Ok fid i am using windows 7
i just searched c drive and i found hosts in a folder which had xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx gs.apple.com(i forgot the numbers) i deleted it and saved it and this was what was left in the host file :
# Copyright (c) 1993-2009 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host
is this right
can i restore my ipad now
if so thanks
btw it was a .txt

Last edited:

manipulator

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Vrishabh,

You are half way right only. When you say you have saved it after deleted the gs.apple.com, and it is .txt, that's means you are editing the hosts file using notepad or what so ever text file editor with no Administrator Right.
If you are using Notepad to edit, then right click on the program Notepad and select 'run as administrator'.
Next choose File, then Open, and locate the "hosts" file that you found just now. the hosts file should without any extension.
Delete the gs.apple.com and save it, if your Notepad is run as administrator, the notepad won't ask you to save as .txt

Vrishabh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Vrishabh,

You are half way right only. When you say you have saved it after deleted the gs.apple.com, and it is .txt, that's means you are editing the hosts file using notepad or what so ever text file editor with no Administrator Right.
If you are using Notepad to edit, then right click on the program Notepad and select 'run as administrator'.
Next choose File, then Open, and locate the "hosts" file that you found just now. the hosts file should without any extension.
Delete the gs.apple.com and save it, if your Notepad is run as administrator, the notepad won't ask you to save as .txt

Hello manipulator,
yes i did run it as administrator and did the following . does this give a green signal for restoring? i will try it out and tell you.Thank you for your advice. I have 1 more question though is there a jailbreak for ios 6 .

Thank you,
Vrishabh

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Vrishabh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SUCCESS .Finally. I did it.Thanks to all of you i finally restored my iPad and downloaded iOS 6.Thank you fid and manipulator very much i couldn't do it without your help Thank you very much.

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
SUCCESS .Finally. I did it.Thanks to all of you i finally restored my iPad and downloaded iOS 6.Thank you fid and manipulator very much i couldn't do it without your help Thank you very much.

Congratulations! Glad to hear it finally got sorted out, and well done to everyone who contributed! :D

Fid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Vrishabh said:

I'm glad to hear it! Thank you for persevering and not getting too frustrated with this. Everything after this project should be easy. Also, thank you for coming back and telling of your success. Stop in from from time to time to say hi and see what is going on in the iPad community. - Fid

Vrishabh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm glad to hear it! Thank you for persevering and not getting too frustrated with this. Everything after this project should be easy. Also, thank you for coming back and telling of your success. Stop in from from time to time to say hi and see what is going on in the iPad community. - Fid

No problem .Thank you again.I will stop by and say hi :)

balmoral93

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i updated my Ipad 1 3g/wifi 16 gb to ios 5.1 , after i done restrore it, it said unauthorirzed device and need to call appcare, but appcare asked for original recipe, which i dont have it anymore....can any body help me please.

Arun1979

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi I have an ipad 3, I jailbroke it using a absinthe untethered 5.1.1, I followed all the steps as directed. I am still getting error 3194. I tried running tiny umbrella, but it keeps saying that the tss service cannot be started. I even tried to edit the hosts file but could not find any reference of the lines gs.apple.. etc mentioned in my hosts file. I dowloaded 51.1.1 restore tried a restore but came up with the 3194 error. Please do let me know what I can do

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi I have an ipad 3, I jailbroke it using a absinthe untethered 5.1.1, I followed all the steps as directed. I am still getting error 3194. I tried running tiny umbrella, but it keeps saying that the tss service cannot be started. I even tried to edit the hosts file but could not find any reference of the lines gs.apple.. etc mentioned in my hosts file. I dowloaded 51.1.1 restore tried a restore but came up with the 3194 error. Please do let me know what I can do

5.1.1 is NOT the current version of iOS on the ipad3 so you can't use this tutorial for that, as laid out in the first post. The current version is 6.0, and that is all that will work with this tutorial.

Try here is you have 5.1.1 blobs saved - http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...5-x-ipad2-ipad3-using-redsn0w-shsh-blobs.html

Good Luck!

vejle_elskeren

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello people with knowledge to iPad 3. generation!
I tried my best to follow the procedure, but I think I have made a big mistake. When I used TinyUmbrella I unmarked the "cydia box" and then I pressed something like "enter recovery" . Then it showed the picture with a USB and itunes logo. I continued with your procedure (and make the screen black etc.) but in the end it says "error 14". Any chance for getting back to what -iOS 5.0.1 or even better upgrade to iOS 6.0.1?!
Plz help!

Last edited:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Try going back to this link (http://www.ipadforums.net/showthread.php?t=24939) and downloading the most current firmware (iOS 6.0.1) for your iPad3. Don't use Internet Explorer to do the download, use Firefox, Chrome or Safari (IE messes up the files).

With the new firmware at hand, try going through this tutorial again from the beginning.

Hopefully, that'll get you an iPad3 running a stock version of iOS 6.0.1. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Marilyn

vejle_elskeren

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I tried again. It didn't work. Not even on a Macbook pro. I bought the iPad 3 months ago so I should still have a warranty!? If I ask Apple to restore my iPad for me, should I say I have JB'ed it or just say something like a friend installed a program on it and then it looked like this :D?
Thanks for your quick answer! :)
Peter

griskath

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK, mine is iPad 2 wifi/gsm. It was brought to me for screen repair (DIY gone bad). The power/volume ribbon was sliced, the wifi flex cable also. Replaced these and the new screen but before I apply adhesive I want to make sure the durn thing works. The first time I powered it up the connect to iTunes/USB picture came up so I did. The restore failed so I came here and followed the instructions to the letter over a dozen times now. First on a win7 pc, then winxp laptop, then iMac OSx latest version as of Oct 20 and now I just got my new MacBook Pro and have tried it three times. All attempts stall at the Restoring iPad Firmware process at about 2/3 completed on the status bar of the iPad. Once stalled for a period of 10 to 45 minutes the error code -1 pops up.

I have no idea what iOS it was running whenI got it, nor do I know if its ever been jailbroke. I have looked and looked but cannot find anything more definitive on this error other than 'the device may need service'. Does anyone know what this means? What kind of service? I've been working on this iPad for over a month and am at a complete loss now. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Most reactions

Latest posts