What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SHSH Blobs FAQ

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
thanks for your patience and clarification.
i guess from what you state, i am OK for now, and have all the blobs i am eligible to have

thanks again,
-m

You are very welcome, and yes, you are correct, you have everything you would expect to have given your history & timing, including 5.1.1 blobs.

spez

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello Guys,

n00b alert here :)

Ive been a lurker and reading a lot of Tutorials and How-tos on this forum for some time now, just signed up today. :)

Ive tried to search for my particular problem and cant find just quite the solution (it doesnt help that with ipads 1- 3 and various IOS versions, jailbroken or unjailbroken, with SSHS or not etc etc there are hundreds of possible permutations possible)

This thread is the closest one i can find so far so i hope the experts here can help me as well as address some of my concerns. :)

My Info:
* iPad 1, IOS 4.3.3. - Jailbroken
* want to upgrade to IOS 5.1.1 then Jailbreak it again.
* I have Cydia with SSHS blobs saved 4.3.3. , 5.1.1 (but i dont think I need it? iTunes has been offering me to upgrade to 5.1.1. but not sure how this will affect my Jailbroken device)
* I already downloaded the iPad1,1_5.1.1_9B206_Restore.ipsw file on my PC
* Itunes 10
* I dont use iTunes to sync bec it might mess with my JB. I havent backed it up yet either. I dont mind a complete wipe since i can reinstall everything, but if easy and possible its more convenient to have all my old apps still there after upgrade. Is it ok to backup?

Some questions/comments on old posts in this thread:

Although, with an iPad1, I would be very surprised if Apple released any more versions. Which would make it so that Apple will continue to sign iOS 5.1.1 for iPad1s. Regardless, you can always save the SHSH blobs for the iOS being supported by Apple (which is 5.1.1 today). Basically, with iOS 5.1.1, your iPad1 is going to be as up-to-date as it will ever get.

Hope this clarifies.

Marilyn

is 5.1.1. the best OS for iPad1 now? The reason i didnt upgrade earlier is because i read a lot of negative this about IOS5 and i was happy with 4.3.3.. but now more and more apps are requiring iOS 5 so im forced to upgrade.

And since IOS 6 is not supported for iPad 1 I guess i dont have to worry about the SSHS Apple signing thing.

Now that ios 6 has been released can I choose to upgrade my ipad2 with 4.3.3 to ios 5.1.1? Cydia shows I have the blobs.

This is what i want, but for my ipad 1. Do i need the blobs from cydia? (im guessing no?)

Not yet. You will need to use the facilities of the new version of redsn0w which has been announced by the dev-team, but not yet released. Stay tuned. We will post details (and likely a tutorial) once the full process is known.

So how do i proceed from here?

Manually update to 5.1.1. using the saved ipsw file? Will it do that with a JAILBROKEN ipad1 (4.3.3)?

IF yes, then it will be an UNJAILBROKEN 5.1.1?

Then should i use Redsnow or Absynthe to JB 5.1.1.?

Sorry for the series of questions.. I tried to find the answer but as i said with so many variations as well as some outdated info, my est bet would be to ask the experts.

Hope someone can help...

Thanks in Advance to everyone :)

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
spez said:
Hello Guys,

n00b alert here :)

Ive been a lurker and reading a lot of Tutorials and How-tos on this forum for some time now, just signed up today. :)

Ive tried to search for my particular problem and cant find just quite the solution (it doesnt help that with ipads 1- 3 and various IOS versions, jailbroken or unjailbroken, with SSHS or not etc etc there are hundreds of possible permutations possible)

This thread is the closest one i can find so far so i hope the experts here can help me as well as address some of my concerns. :)

My Info:
* iPad 1, IOS 4.3.3. - Jailbroken
* want to upgrade to IOS 5.1.1 then Jailbreak it again.
* I have Cydia with SSHS blobs saved 4.3.3. , 5.1.1 (but i dont think I need it? iTunes has been offering me to upgrade to 5.1.1. but not sure how this will affect my Jailbroken device)
* I already downloaded the iPad1,1_5.1.1_9B206_Restore.ipsw file on my PC
* Itunes 10
* I dont use iTunes to sync bec it might mess with my JB. I havent backed it up yet either. I dont mind a complete wipe since i can reinstall everything, but if easy and possible its more convenient to have all my old apps still there after upgrade. Is it ok to backup?

Some questions/comments on old posts in this thread:

is 5.1.1. the best OS for iPad1 now? The reason i didnt upgrade earlier is because i read a lot of negative this about IOS5 and i was happy with 4.3.3.. but now more and more apps are requiring iOS 5 so im forced to upgrade.

And since IOS 6 is not supported for iPad 1 I guess i dont have to worry about the SSHS Apple signing thing.

This is what i want, but for my ipad 1. Do i need the blobs from cydia? (im guessing no?)

Manually update to 5.1.1. using the saved ipsw file? Will it do that with a JAILBROKEN ipad1 (4.3.3)?

Sorry for the series of questions.. I tried to find the answer but as i said with so many variations as well as some outdated info, my est bet would be to ask the experts.

Hope someone can help...

See if this thread helps you http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...orial-jailbreak-ipad1-ios5-using-redsn0w.html

And welcome to the forums!

The Archangel

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Hope someone can help...

Gabe pointed you to the correct tutorial above( it is a little out of date now, but still works), but just to confirm on the various things you were asking...

My advice would be to update to 5.1.1 now. It is still signed for iPad1, so using blobs is not a concern at this time. 5.1.1 is probably the best of the 5.x bunch on the iPad1, and has the most optimisations for that device of any of the 5.x line.
You need to restore in iTunes and start with a fresh install. You could choose to restore your 4.3.3 backup when you are finished, but I would not recommend it. Doing a major IOS update from such an old version can be problematic. You are best advised to bite the bullet and "start again". It's nice to have a fresh start once in a while ;)
Once 5.1.1 is restored, you need to jailbreak it. The latest redsn0w makes it easy. Just download it and press "jailbreak", then follow the instructions.

Good luck!

spez

iPF Noob
Reaction score
See if this thread helps you
And welcome to the forums!

The Archangel

Gabe pointed you to the correct tutorial above( it is a little out of date now, but still works), but just to confirm on the various things you were asking...

My advice would be to update to 5.1.1 now. It is still signed for iPad1, so using blobs is not a concern at this time. 5.1.1 is probably the best of the 5.x bunch on the iPad1, and has the most optimisations for that device of any of the 5.x line.
You need to restore in iTunes and start with a fresh install. You could choose to restore your 4.3.3 backup when you are finished, but I would not recommend it. Doing a major IOS update from such an old version can be problematic. You are best advised to bite the bullet and "start again". It's nice to have a fresh start once in a while ;)
Once 5.1.1 is restored, you need to jailbreak it. The latest redsn0w makes it easy. Just download it and press "jailbreak", then follow the instructions.

Good luck!

Gabriel and f4780y,

Thanks for the reply and the warm welcome! :)

That was one of the threads I read before posting... it got me confused because of the ff line:

| In order to use the redsn0w jailbreak for IOS5, you need to make sure you are starting with an iPad which is already upgraded to IOS 5.0.1 (untethered) or 5.1 (tethered). "

But could it be i am overthinking things (because of all the different stuff ive been reading about)?

To Simplify things, I think I just need a 2 Step process? But its Step 1 i have concerns about because when i try to google for the answer i get lost in the various results talking about other stuff

Step 1: Update my JAILBROKEN iPad 1 (4.3.3) to 5.1.1

1.1 Run iTunes (it always Asks me if I want to update to 5.1.1., I click CANCEL)
1.2 Press SHIFT and "UPDATE" (UPDATE and not "RESTORE" ?)
1.3. Select the iPad1,1_5.1.1_9B206_Restore.ipsw file i saved on my pc

Will this effectively turn my Jailroken ipad 4.3.3 to an UNJAILBROKEN 5.1.1? Will my old apps still be there and if so should I

1.4 RESTORE the ipad so it will be a "clean install" 5.1.1 with all apps wiped out? then proceed to

Step 2: Download Redsnow and JB the like-new 5.1.1. device..

My main concern is i dont know if its ok to upgrade a JB device.. if it was not JB'd i would have updated already...

Sorry for overcomplicating things, as i said, all these info can be intimidating.

btw, i kinda feel old and embarrassed with my ipad 4.3.3... its like asking how my Pentium III Windows 98 PC can run the latest PC games .. Hard to believe i just got this thing Dec 2010.. not even 2 years old and Apple is making it sound like its a 10 year old machine :)

Thanks again guys

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Gabriel and f4780y,

Thanks for the reply and the warm welcome! :)

That was one of the threads I read before posting... it got me confused because of the ff line:

| In order to use the redsn0w jailbreak for IOS5, you need to make sure you are starting with an iPad which is already upgraded to IOS 5.0.1 (untethered) or 5.1 (tethered). "

But could it be i am overthinking things (because of all the different stuff ive been reading about)?

To Simplify things, I think I just need a 2 Step process? But its Step 1 i have concerns about because when i try to google for the answer i get lost in the various results talking about other stuff

Step 1: Update my JAILBROKEN iPad 1 (4.3.3) to 5.1.1

1.1 Run iTunes (it always Asks me if I want to update to 5.1.1., I click CANCEL)
1.2 Press SHIFT and "UPDATE" (UPDATE and not "RESTORE" ?)
1.3. Select the iPad1,1_5.1.1_9B206_Restore.ipsw file i saved on my pc

Will this effectively turn my Jailroken ipad 4.3.3 to an UNJAILBROKEN 5.1.1? Will my old apps still be there and if so should I

1.4 RESTORE the ipad so it will be a "clean install" 5.1.1 with all apps wiped out? then proceed to

Step 2: Download Redsnow and JB the like-new 5.1.1. device..

My main concern is i dont know if its ok to upgrade a JB device.. if it was not JB'd i would have updated already...

Sorry for overcomplicating things, as i said, all these info can be intimidating.

btw, i kinda feel old and embarrassed with my ipad 4.3.3... its like asking how my Pentium III Windows 98 PC can run the latest PC games .. Hard to believe i just got this thing Dec 2010.. not even 2 years old and Apple is making it sound like its a 10 year old machine :)

Thanks again guys

No, that is old information, written when 5.x was just released, so it's always worth looking at the dates of threads.

You cannot EVER UPGRADE a jailbroken device. You must restore. So no shift-update. YOU MUST Shift-Restore. And you only need to shift-restore IF you have already downloaded the 5.1.1 firmware and it is waiting on your PC. If you haven't, then just press plain old restore and iTunes will put it on there since it is the latest firmware.
Because of this, you will NOT have any of your old apps still on there. There is absolutely no way to do that since you are updating the IOS of an already jalbroken device, unless you want to use a backup and restore. I would NOT recommend you do this. It is not a good approach when you going from such an old setup.

Follow what I said before...

Restore the device in iTunes (which will put 5.1.1 on there)
Run through the setup wizard on the device
Download redsn0w, run it, and press the jailbreak button.

It really is quite simple ;) Don't over think it by looking to far into old posts in the past.

spez

iPF Noob
Reaction score
f4780y,

Success! managed to install 5.1.1. and jaibreak using latest redsnow.

I kinda feel sheepish..
As you said, it really is quite simple. :) but i got overwhelmed with the different info available.

In the end, all i needed was this:

You cannot EVER UPGRADE a jailbroken device. You must restore. So no shift-update. YOU MUST Shift-Restore.

this simple advice is harder to find than you might think. But all inall im glad i read thru all those info, now i know stuff i didnt know before like SSHS blobs and things like that (for future reference when i get a newer iPad :) )

Anyway, thanks again for all the help!

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
f4780y,

Success! managed to install 5.1.1. and jaibreak using latest redsnow.

Anyway, thanks again for all the help!

Congratulations. Glad to hear you got it done!

cesaaraugusto

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi guys, you were this close to have the answer to my question but I still need help! :/ I know that the forum is related to ipad, but this one is the only one I found that has a situation similar to mine. My iPad has 5.1.1 jailbreak with Absinthe but this time I'm updating a friend iphone and need help on it. My friend's phone has for your surprise ios 3.1.3 on a 3GS! The situation is that I want to go 5.1.1 but Cydia doesn't show blobs saved for it, it has from 3.1.3 to the 4x but nothing higher. after that 6.01 is showing. Since I need to keep his baseband to use ultrasn0w later (he needs unlock as well) the process I'm trying to follow is:
1 - Upgrade it using redsn0w (...even more, restore, 3GS 5.1.1 ipsw, keep baseband) - to move from 3.1.3 to 5.1.1 maintaining the baseband
2 - Jailbreak using redsn0w or Absinthe
3 - Install ultrasn0w
Questions are:

1a - Can I upgrade his iphone to 5.1.1 even though blobs are not there? I tried snowbreeze but I get 3194 error, because SHSH for 5.1.1 is not there in apple server anymore (thanks for the post on the first page I can understand how this works). Cydia doesn't show 5.1.1 either so it is not in Saurik server. That is why changing hosts file to use with snowbreeze/iTunes doesn't work for me I suppose. Am I corret?
1b - Then I tried using redsn0w because it doesn't use iTunes - so I can skip the verification of the blobs in any server (apple or Saurik) - but now I'm not sure because I read here that blobs are used to allow you to install a given firmware, in this case 5.1.1. Can I install 5.1.1 to his iphone even though shsh blobs are not available neither apple or saurik's server?
2 - I have tried redsn0w even though I don't have the blobs but it crashes, is that due to the fact I don't have the blobs?
3 - Do you have any better suggestions? If you tell me I can't go 5.1.1 maybe I should go 6.0.1 but that is not yet 100% for his device, tethered etc, so I would prefer go 5.1.1 if possible.
Regards,
Cesar

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
SHSH Blobs FAQ - New & Improved for 2012!

No matter what you try to do for your friend - the fact of the matter is that you do not have SHSH blobs for iOS 5.1.1. Therefore, there is no way to install that iOS on your friend's phone. None.

Sorry.

Marilyn

cesaaraugusto

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

Thank you for your answer Marilyn (Mickey330). That is now clear to me. For my surprise whenever people are mentioning these upgrades to their devices it is not clear that there is no way to update to a given firmware if you don't have the SHSH blobs for it. I spoke to my friend and he is waiting on the untethered jailbreak for 6.01 then.

Too bad that his phone is not unlocked, he only needs the jailbreak because he must use the ultrasn0w to unlock his device to other SIM card companies.

Again thanks for your cooperation.

Regards,
Cesar

teleman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi I am new to this just bought iPad 2 with iOS 6 installed is it possible to downgrade this to 5.1.1 so it can be jailbroke or will I have to wait till a jailbreak for the iOS 6 comes out.

Teleman

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
SHSH Blobs FAQ - New & Improved for 2012!

Hi I am new to this just bought iPad 2 with iOS 6 installed is it possible to downgrade this to 5.1.1 so it can be jailbroke or will I have to wait till a jailbreak for the iOS 6 comes out.

Teleman

No, you cannot downgrade that iPad2 unless you bought it used - and the previous owner saved the SHSH blobs for both iOS 4 and iOS 5.

Unless the above is you (bought used...), then yes, you will have to wait for a jail break for iOS 6. Keep an eye on this thread for the latest on that jailbreak: http://www.ipadforums.net/showthread.php?t=89458

Marilyn

nikola987

iPF Noob
Reaction score
6. So, what do I do now?
Well, the short answer is start saving your blobs today!

I can't save any blobs on my new ipad 4 :(

TU says for device model: MD511HC/A - INVALID, and in logs it says:
01/13/2013 12:15:32.566 Started saving SHSHs for [Nikola's iPad]
01/13/2013 12:15:32.571 There are no SHSHs for [Nikola's iPad]

Any solution? :(

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I can't save any blobs on my new ipad 4 :(

TU says for device model: MD511HC/A - INVALID, and in logs it says:
01/13/2013 12:15:32.566 Started saving SHSHs for [Nikola's iPad]
01/13/2013 12:15:32.571 There are no SHSHs for [Nikola's iPad]

Any solution? :(

Unfortunately, notcom - the developer responsible for TinyUmbrella has had a lot going on in his personal life and updates to the TU application have not kept pace with the release of new Apple devices and firmwares.

However, the iPhoneDevTeam updated redsn0w some time ago to allow it to dynamically save blobs for any new firmware.

1. Download the latest redsn0w from here - Dev-Team Blog - Grab version 0.9.15b3 or newer from the bottom of the first blog post.

2. You will also need a copy of the version of IOS which is installed on your device. You can download the right firmware from our thread here - http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/24939-official-apple-ios-firmware-download-links-ipad.html

3. Connect your device to your PC via the cable.

4. Launch redsn0w and go to Extras > SHSH Blobs > New, and select the firmware IPSW file you just downloaded.

5. Follow the instructions on screen and redsn0w should grab your blobs from Apple and save them on your PC and also allow you to upload them to Cydia servers for safe keeping.

I've used this process for my iPhone5 since release and can confirm it works fine. Just remember, you can only save the blobs currently being provided by Apple using this method. It cannot magic up old blobs regardless of what version of IOS you may have installed on the device.

Hope that helps! :D

Most reactions

Latest posts