What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SHSH Blobs FAQ

jimmyping

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Splendid expination F4780y,

I am in a spot of trouble with my Ipad.... here goes, I will keep it short.

I was originally on 5.0.1 - I then used Absinthe to jailbreak which was fine. I have used for around a year. I wanted to upgrade to 6.1 (non-jailbreak). Stupidly I upgraged OTA via wifi! Needless to say it just started looping.

After playing with it I have managed to save Blobs for 5.1, 5.11 and 6.1 somehow (I used tinyUmbrella and linked with the correct USB ID), whether these are valid but that's what it says on TU

I do not have blobs for 5.0.1 which is what I think I need to go back to that version via itunes itself (Stitch Blobs into IPSW).

Is there anything I can do, or have I screwed it up big time???

Thanks for reading...

Regards,

jimmyping

Last edited:
OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Splendid expination F4780y,

I am in a spot of trouble with my Ipad.... here goes, I will keep it short.

I was originally on 5.0.1 - I then used Absinthe to jailbreak which was fine. I have used for around a year. I wanted to upgrade to 6.1 (non-jailbreak). Stupidly I upgraged OTA via wifi! Needless to say it just started looping.

After playing with it I have managed to save Blobs for 5.1, 5.11 and 6.1 somehow (I used tinyUmbrella and linked with the correct USB ID), whether these are valid but that's what it says on TU

I do not have blobs for 5.0.1 which is what I think I need to go back to that version via itunes itself (Stitch Blobs into IPSW).

Is there anything I can do, or have I screwed it up big time???

Thanks for reading...

Regards,

jimmyping

Thanks ;)

A valuable lesson for all. You should NEVER update a jailbroken device OTA.

Unfortunately, if you have 5.0.1, but don't have blobs for it (which your details seem to indicate) then you are stuck. You cannot reinstall 5.0.1 in that scenario. It relies on blobs. You can't do any stitching or anything like that :(

The silver lining is that we expect the new 6.1 jailbreak to be released this weekend, or very soon thereafter, so now would be the time for you to bite the bullet and restore stock 6.1. Hopefully, by Sunday, you should be able to jailbreak that and start your JB journey again ;)

Use iTunes to restore the device to 6.1. If you run into problems, use DFU mode - http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/27489-dfu-mode-dummies.html

If you get other error messages, such as 3194, follow all the steps in this guide - http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...lsafe-method-restore-current-version-ios.html

Good Luck.

jimmyping

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can I still update to stock 6.1 via itunes (correct host file set) when the current version of my looping Ipad is 5.0.1?

I am still getting the 3194 error when I let itunes download the IOS and alternatively I find a local IOS

Do you think the new jailbreak 6.1 will help me?

Thanks,

jimmyping

iPF Noob
Reaction score
just to add... when the Ipad is in recovery mode and I let Itunes download the file it says it's corupt. I read that this may be an Apple thing so I may be in luck. I am currently trying to download another IPSW 6.1 for Ipad2 (older version) and see how that goes....

jimmyping

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you so much for your explanation and help on this one. I eventually got it working again as I had been using the incorrect 6.1 (Newer Ipad) IPSW.

I owe you a beer!!!!

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you so much for your explanation and help on this one. I eventually got it working again as I had been using the incorrect 6.1 (Newer Ipad) IPSW.

I owe you a beer!!!!

Glad you got it fixed. The failsafe guide never fails if you follow all the instructions ;)

bifftaz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Unfortunately, notcom - the developer responsible for TinyUmbrella has had a lot going on in his personal life and updates to the TU application have not kept pace with the release of new Apple devices and firmwares.

However, the iPhoneDevTeam updated redsn0w some time ago to allow it to dynamically save blobs for any new firmware.

1. Download the latest redsn0w from here - Dev-Team Blog - Grab version 0.9.15b3 or newer from the bottom of the first blog post.

2. You will also need a copy of the version of IOS which is installed on your device. You can download the right firmware from our thread here - http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/24939-official-apple-ios-firmware-download-links-ipad.html

3. Connect your device to your PC via the cable.

4. Launch redsn0w and go to Extras > SHSH Blobs > New, and select the firmware IPSW file you just downloaded.

5. Follow the instructions on screen and redsn0w should grab your blobs from Apple and save them on your PC and also allow you to upload them to Cydia servers for safe keeping.

I've used this process for my iPhone5 since release and can confirm it works fine. Just remember, you can only save the blobs currently being provided by Apple using this method. It cannot magic up old blobs regardless of what version of IOS you may have installed on the device.

Hope that helps! :D

Thanks for the step by step guide on how to use redsn0w to save our SHSH Blobs. Just wondering though, I followed your step by step guide & everything went fine, But, Is my SHSH Blobs file that redsn0w saves supposed to be 20kb in size ? Like I said, Everything went fine & redsn0w even verified my Blobs.

Just wanted to make sure that its correct that's all. First time I have ever saved SHSH Blobs (Learned the hard way by "accidentally" updating from a jailbroken 5.1.1 to 6.0 awhile ago >.< )

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the step by step guide on how to use redsn0w to save our SHSH Blobs. Just wondering though, I followed your step by step guide & everything went fine, But, Is my SHSH Blobs file that redsn0w saves supposed to be 20kb in size ? Like I said, Everything went fine & redsn0w even verified my Blobs.

Just wanted to make sure that its correct that's all. First time I have ever saved SHSH Blobs (Learned the hard way by "accidentally" updating from a jailbroken 5.1.1 to 6.0 awhile ago >.< )

Sounds fine to me.

bifftaz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sounds fine to me.

Ok, Thanks again f4789y. Now Im going to burn my SHSH Blobs to disc (Make around 2-3 disc's lol just in case... PMSL), Copy it to a USB & Upload it to a file hosting site. Not taking any chances of losing my JB again.... Need/love my tweaks & apps from Cydia that bad lol.

Guy1717

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK, i still have one question

Do I need to save these SHSH blobs on jailbreak 6.1.1 ? If yes, then how

Because I tried to save them with TinyUmbrella and the Rednsow win_0.9.15b3 which didn't work.

I have the Ipad 4 (latest model) and the only thing I would eventually do is restore my Ipad and then jailbreak again on the same 6.1.1, that's all

I saw on Cydia 6.1 and 6.1.2 SHSH

Is that enough for me ?

I really wouldn't want to loose my jailbreak if something should happen, it's so much more fun to use my device now :)

Just the 5-row keyboard layout (with the numbers included) is worth to jailbreak

Guy

Last edited:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Saving blobs is a separate event from jail breaking. You don't have to do one to do the other. The only thing saving blobs is dependent on is whether Apple is still signing the firmware.

Having those two blobs show in Cydia means you've saved all available blobs, so you're good.

Marilyn

Oh, and iOS 6.1.1 was ONLY for the iPhone 4S - so you'll never be able to save it for the iPad (it doesn't exist for the iPad).

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
So, I better re-jailbreak into 6.1.2 ?

Thanks for the help
Guy

That's entirely up to you. You, essentially, will have to start all over again to update to iOS 6.1.2. This helpful tutorial just released by my fellow moderator, f4780y, will give you an idea of what's involved: http://www.ipadforums.net/showthread.php?t=104355

I usually go ahead and upgrade as high as I can (as long as there is a jail break available on that iOS). Cause You never know when a jail break will become available again on newer iOSs (iOS 6.1.3, in beta now, is expected to not be jail breakable).

So, I just like to be as current as I can be. Of course and as always, YMMV.

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts