What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SHSH Blobs FAQ

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
gregwalz said:
So, the $600 question is: can I or can I not downgrade from 5.1 to 5.0.1? I have the 5.0.1 SSH blob, and this is only a WiFi iPad 2, which I think means no baseband. But that APTicket worries me.

No, you can't restore 501 on an ipad2 as things stand today. Sorry.

Greenback

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an iPad2 3G which came with 5.0.1 as the base firmware version and I have been waiting for the opportunity to play with jail breaking. I guess the jailbreak process creates a custom 'spoof-signed' version of 5.0.1. using the currently installed blobs as a base.

The question I have is, if I subsequently perform a full DFU restore to a virgin state, will iTunes force the resigning of blobs and restore to Apple's current 'latest' version (5.1) rather than the currently unjailbroken version of 5.0.1?

Last edited:
OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have an iPad2 3G which came with 5.0.1 as the base firmware version and I have been waiting for the opportunity to play with jail breaking. I guess the jailbreak process creates a custom 'spoof-signed' version of 5.0.1. using the currently installed blobs as a base.

Eh, no, you've misunderstood something. There is nothing in the jailbreak process related to spoofing SHSH Blobs. The security cannot be circumvented and they cannot be spoofed under any circumstances. Blobs control what firmware you can install on your device. If you don't have blobs you can't install that version.

The question I have is, if I subsequently perform a full DFU restore to a virgin state, will iTunes force the resigning of blobs and restore to Apple's current 'latest' version (5.1) rather than the currently unjailbroken version of 5.0.1?

That part is correct. You cannot currently restore anything but the current version of IOS on your device, which is 5.1 today. You won't have saved 5.0.1 blobs either. Whist those are of no use at the moment, we expect them to be useful in the very near future. Whilst that is great news for others, it isn't of any use to you since you don't already have them saved and there is no way to get them now :(

Since you have 5.0.1 at the moment, you can at least jailbreak. You just need to take care once you are jailbroken. If you need to restore you will need to live without the jailbreak for a while until a 5.1 JB is released for iPad2 :)
Hope that clarifies.

Greenback

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks f4780y, I think It's sinking in now. It's a shame I hadn't double-checked the availability of a 5.0.1 jailbreak earlier, I would have been able to have saved some 5.0.1 blobs. I'll do some more reading and make sure I'm fully up to speed before I dip my toe in the jailbreak water!

Last edited:

YesHoney

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi... I have an iPad2 Wi-Fi only, 5.0.1, jailbroken. On Cydia I can see SHSH for iOS 5.0.1 which I saved a couple months ago. I read somewhere that SHSH for 5.1 can be saved even if still on 5.0.1, so I tried with TU. It looks like my 5.1 SHSH is certainly saved locally after running TU but on Cydia can only see the previously saved one for 5.0.1.
What am I doing wrong?

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi... I have an iPad2 Wi-Fi only, 5.0.1, jailbroken. On Cydia I can see SHSH for iOS 5.0.1 which I saved a couple months ago. I read somewhere that SHSH for 5.1 can be saved even if still on 5.0.1, so I tried with TU. It looks like my 5.1 SHSH is certainly saved locally after running TU but on Cydia can only see the previously saved one for 5.0.1.
What am I doing wrong?

Yes, that's right. Cydia is separate from TinyUmbrella. You blobs saved with TU are on your PC. The blobs in Cydia are stored away in the cloud somewhere. Cydia works on a queueing system so as not to overload Apples signing servers, as well as a website cache which can take some time to refresh. Your device will eventually get to the top of the queue and when the cache refreshes, you will see 5.1 in the list. However, you do currently have them saved on your PC, so don't worry.

kakaouskia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello people,

First, this FAQ is really handy; many thanks to the author!

Second, I only started seriously using an iPad last night, so bear with me :eek:

Story goes like this:

Wife visited her sister and she got an iPad 1, 16GB, Wifi. Returned home last weekend, and complained that she could install skype etc. I set up her laptop with iTunes as this is the first apple device at home and after some looking around found that the IOS installed is 3.2.1 I have no idea if it is stock or jailbreak, my guess is it is stock

Now, here is the problem: I want to "update" to 4.3.3 but have no blobs whatsoever as the device was not in my possession all this time and I seriously doubt that my wife's sister even knows what a SHSH blob is :) I do not want to update to IOS 5 but alas iTunes insists on this

Is this possible? I will settle with a "maybe" ;)

If it is not possible, how can I reset the device to a "new" state? Right now there are at least 7 apps installed, each demanding a different iTunes account to update. So I want to perform what in the pc world is called a "format".

Regards,

Kakaouskia

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
the IOS installed is 3.2.1 I have no idea if it is stock or jailbreak, my guess is it is stock

Now, here is the problem: I want to "update" to 4.3.3 but have no blobs whatsoever as the device was not in my possession all this time and I seriously doubt that my wife's sister even knows what a SHSH blob is :) I do not want to update to IOS 5 but alas iTunes insists on this

Is this possible? I will settle with a "maybe" ;)

The iPad may have been jail broken in the past or it may be jailbroken now. To see if it is, look for a brown box icon titled Cydia (or do a spotlight search for Cydia). If you find it, the iPad is jail broken.

You cannot put iOS 4.3.3 on that iPad unless you have the SHSH blobs for it. See the first post in the thread for the steps on downloading and using Tiny Umbrella to see if you have saved SHSH blobs.

If you do not have SHSH blobs, the only thing you can do is upgrade the iOS to 5.1. Again, no SHSH blobs = iOS 5.1.

If it is not possible, how can I reset the device to a "new" state? Right now there are at least 7 apps installed, each demanding a different iTunes account to update. So I want to perform what in the pc world is called a "format".

The easiest way to upgrade to the newest iOS is to connect the iPad to iTunes and select restore. That way, you can let iTunes do all the work while you click a few confirmation buttons. This will put the latest firmware on the iPad and it will be as if you just bought it fresh from the store. Then, you can start putting apps on it (I would recommend using only one Apple ID so as to keep things simple going forward).

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Marilyn

kakaouskia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Marilyn,

I was afraid that "no blobs" answer would come up :(

Thanks for the advice though, I will fiddle around once I get home tonight. TU has been added to the "download list" and I will post any news, hopefully good ones

Again, thanks for the help

Regards,

Kakaouskia

Mr_medo90

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry for this noobie question but as I understand from u the only option for my device on Ipad 2. IOS 4.3.3 with no saved blobs is to update it.( to 5.0. Since apple still signing it or i must go to 5.1)
Thanx in advance. :)

RagiingRedneck

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there any chance of tiny umbrella failing when trying to restore to an earlier iOS if you have the blobs saved? Cause I only have 5.1 blob for my iPad 2, I want to upgrade to save the 5.1.1 blob and downgrade back to 5.1 so I can jailbreak it when pod2g releases the 5.1 untethered jailbreak

RagiingRedneck

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry for this noobie question but as I understand from u the only option for my device on Ipad 2. IOS 4.3.3 with no saved blobs is to update it.( to 5.0. Since apple still signing it or i must go to 5.1)
Thanx in advance. :)

To answer your question, you must update to the newest iOS (if you don't have blobs) or whatever Apple is still signing. The newest iOS came out yesterday, 5.1.1.. Also Apple quit signing 5.0 a while ago

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Is there any chance of tiny umbrella failing when trying to restore to an earlier iOS if you have the blobs saved? Cause I only have 5.1 blob for my iPad 2, I want to upgrade to save the 5.1.1 blob and downgrade back to 5.1 so I can jailbreak it when pod2g releases the 5.1 untethered jailbreak

Okay, first, you don't need to be on a particular firmware in order to save blobs for it. Tiny Umbrella will save blobs for whichever firmware Apple is currently signing. Doesn't matter AT ALL which iOS your iPad is on.

Which is good news for you, because you do NOT want to upgrade to iOS 5.1.1. If you upgrade to iOS 5.1.1, you will not be able to downgrade back to iOS 5.0.1 - as it stands today. While we still encourage people to save blobs "just in case," they don't work for the iPad2 and once you've upgraded, you're stuck there.

In addition, it's not Tiny Umbrella that you use to restore a firmware. All Tiny Umbrella does is save the SHSH blob and then act as a server for the actual jail breaking program to do the work. And, so far, Tiny Umbrella has never not properly saved a blob, that I am aware of.

So, run Tiny Umbrella now, while the window is still open for iOS 5.0.1 blobs. Then, in a short while, I am sure the developer of Tiny Umbrella will update it so it can save the blobs for 5.1.1. Then, save those. But, there is nothing to do right now except wait for a jail break, whether it's for 5.0.1 or 5.1.1.

Again, all I can tell you today is: Until further notice, save 5.0.1 blobs and do NOT move off of iOS 5.0.1 if you want to jail break.

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts