What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Screen protector- necessary?

Drag Bunt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Putting a protector on that sleek piece of equipment would be like wearing your socks in the shower. I prefer to go bareback...'cause that's how I roll.

Carlloch90

iPF Noob
Reaction score

krytron

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does screen protectors help reducing fingerprints and grease? I noticed my iPad screen looks much dirtier than my friend's iPod touch where he has applied the film. I don't care about small scratches but if it helps keeping the screen cleaner, I would buy one.

Loccy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well I've just put a Speck anti glare screen on my iPad. I actually managed to ruin the first batch of two I bought and one of the second batch as well. It is a real mission to get the thing on without ending up with a bazillion bubbles caused by dust and air, and no matter what you do you'll get some in there. The thing to do is to accept the fact that it's not going to be perfection no matter how careful you are, and that an acceptable outcome is if there are no bubbles in the main screen area. There will inevitably be a few around the edges of the screen, but if you manage to get the thing on without bubbles obscuring the screen itself, go with it. So yes, it does adversely affect the look of the device. What you get in return, though, is a device that you can use outdoors without constantly having to adjust the viewing angle to compensate for the glare, and a device that is no longer a fingerprint magnet. A worthwhile tradeoff in my book - I can see real died in the wool Apple heads who think form is as important as function having varying opinions, though.

If glare isn't something that bothers you, and you're just interested in preventing scratches, then I reckon there's no point in a screen protector. The iPad screen is scratch resistant.

Digikid

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you were smart and want to protect the investment that you have made by buying an iPad and you want to keep its resale value then yes it is ESSENTIAL that you purchase a screen protector.

I use nothing but the best.....so that would be ZAGG.

Bacstar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been putting Zagg screen protectors on all my gadgets and have been very happy with them.

About reinstalling, I think you are allowed to try again within a day or two. Also, if you do mess up, you can ask Zagg for a replacement. Just got to remember, you'll need to send them back your bad one or they will bill you.

I can offer you a suggestion which I've tried with another device I had Zagg on. I went to a zagg kiosk at a mall, and he had no problem swapping out the screen protector for me. He only charged me for the installation, and he did a much quicker and better job than i did.

built

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been putting Power Support Crystal films on all of my iPhones and iPod Touches since I was an iPhone early adopter in 2007.

Just went to the Power Support Store in Burbank and had them apply my Power Support Crystal Film to my new iPad. Peace of mind.

Diane's iPad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Me, too, wanting to protect this little beauty. I just finished applying the Speck ShieldView Anti-Glare Matte -- I watched a you-tube how-to video first and read lots of reviews and this seemed to be the best for the money. I bought my from Amazon as it was 16 (for two) rather than 24 from Speck. It comes with a cleaning cloth and was pretty easy to put on and take any bubbles out -- guess the bubbles that don't scrape off are because you have dust particles and then need to re apply. I also used the Speck silicone cover -- it is transparent so it doesn't hide or detract the natural beauty and feels good in the hand -- the 'Naked' ipad seemed a little too slippery to be using Everywhere as I intend to use it. The cover does the trick for me.

wingnut1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wouldn't be without a screen protector. When I bought two ipads for my son and myself in the USA, I took them straight to the stand in the mall that covers the screen and back with invisible film for I think $39 each. I learned my lesson with my first iPhone that got scratches on the screen from fingernails and jacket pocket zips.

tosh.jc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As I don't often spend $600+tax on items in my usual routine, I thought it best to make the extra investment to keep my device in the best possible condition. I had the Ghost Armor kiosk apply the front/back/side protective layer for me, since I don't trust my ability to not screw up massively when trying to install it myself. And for portability, I bought the Sena black leather folio case. I've been carrying it around in the same ammo bag (see: man purse) that I've been carrying books in for years, but I'll have to invest in a slightly bigger bag to house my bluetooth keyboard. After I buy a new bag, I'M DONE SPENDING MONEY ON THIS THING! It's sending me straight to the bread line.

nushieldguy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Overpaid at the Mall

I wouldn't be without a screen protector. When I bought two ipads for my son and myself in the USA, I took them straight to the stand in the mall that covers the screen and back with invisible film for I think $39 each. I learned my lesson with my first iPhone that got scratches on the screen from fingernails and jacket pocket zips.

Congratulations that you are so careful with your iPad. However, you could have purchased the NuShield DayVue film for $22 each and installed it yourself in five minutes at home. With the NuShield film you also would be able to take your iPad outdoors and use it without fighting off the excessive glare that the invisible film creates on the iPad.

KILLERkpd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Large glass screen+living= screen protector. Unless the thing doesn't leave your home. That would be weird, though and I would have to ask you why you got one in the first place:)

I have the Zagg on all my devices, love it.

Those reviews on amazon are a bit biased IMHO. I could easily say, "hey, stay away from that pizza, I don't like the way it tastes" and it would be the same thing. Try it out and see what YOU like.

Agreed, I have the Zagg on mine and I love it, no bubbles at all, I had almost none when I applied it. Went alot smoother on the larger screen than trying to put it on a cell phone.

Reviews are like *holes, you know the rest.....;)

facky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
it's great to have a screen protector, I bought one on buy.com, and nice! Love it !

Last edited:

DavidNM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've always tended to swear off screen covers. But I did install the Zagg full body cover yesterday afternoon. So far about 85% of the bubbles are gone and the areas without bubbles now look great. I'm assuming that, over 2 or 3 days the rest of them will disappear. If this is true I'm going to be very happy.

It's not the protection that I'm really after - but rather I'm very pleased with the feel and grip as the raw iPad is quite slippery. I'm also impressed in how fewer fingerprints I'm putting on the screen.

We'll see.

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I debated whether or not to use a screen protector as well, but decided to go with one on my new Ipad. If anyone is looking for the absolute easiest screen protector to install, try the Moshi iVisor. I'm not kidding, it took about 10 seconds to apply. No solution, no sticky adhesive, no bubbles (guaranteed). I went with the anti-glare version and it does a great job at reducing finger smudges and the screen still looks great to me. I'm not in any way affiliated with the company but I sure am happy with the product.

Most reactions

Latest posts