Screen protector- necessary?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories for iPAD 1, 2 and 3' started by foodie123, Jul 27, 2010.

1. nushieldguy

nushieldguy
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Overpaid at the Mall

Congratulations that you are so careful with your iPad. However, you could have purchased the NuShield DayVue film for $22 each and installed it yourself in five minutes at home. With the NuShield film you also would be able to take your iPad outdoors and use it without fighting off the excessive glare that the invisible film creates on the iPad.

2. KILLERkpd

KILLERkpd
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:

Agreed, I have the Zagg on mine and I love it, no bubbles at all, I had almost none when I applied it. Went alot smoother on the larger screen than trying to put it on a cell phone.

Reviews are like *holes, you know the rest.....;)

3. facky

facky
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    it's great to have a screen protector, I bought one on buy.com, and nice! Love it !

#43 facky, Sep 3, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2010
  4. DavidNM

DavidNM
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    I've always tended to swear off screen covers. But I did install the Zagg full body cover yesterday afternoon. So far about 85% of the bubbles are gone and the areas without bubbles now look great. I'm assuming that, over 2 or 3 days the rest of them will disappear. If this is true I'm going to be very happy.

It's not the protection that I'm really after - but rather I'm very pleased with the feel and grip as the raw iPad is quite slippery. I'm also impressed in how fewer fingerprints I'm putting on the screen.

We'll see.

5. DaveSt

DaveSt
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    I debated whether or not to use a screen protector as well, but decided to go with one on my new Ipad. If anyone is looking for the absolute easiest screen protector to install, try the Moshi iVisor. I'm not kidding, it took about 10 seconds to apply. No solution, no sticky adhesive, no bubbles (guaranteed). I went with the anti-glare version and it does a great job at reducing finger smudges and the screen still looks great to me. I'm not in any way affiliated with the company but I sure am happy with the product.

6. DavidNM

DavidNM
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    It's been 2 weeks now - since I installed the Zag. All but one tiny bubble disappeared - and I was able to rub that out. I also received my Colcasac - and I'm very comfortable with using the iPad alone and then putting it in the Colcasac when I leave the house - seems, at least to me, as the most comfortable blend.

7. Gazelle2

Gazelle2
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I have had just the opposite result as that of KILLERkpd. I have installed the Zagg screen protector on my two best Sony digital cameras and the installation went without a hitch. For that reason, I spent the $29.99 that Best Buy was asking for the Zagg front cover at the same time that I bought the iPad 64/WiFi/3G for my wife. This time, however, even though I was being as careful as possible, I wound up with a ton of bubbles even after using the squeegee as much as I thought was safe. I am very sure these bubbles will not work themselves out in my lifetime much less in two or three days. I am contemplating pulling the Zagg off and just forgetting about the whole thing. Any suggestions?

8. iPadCharlie

iPadCharlie
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    Give the Zagg a couple of days and you might be surprised! The biggest issue I had when putting it on my iPad is that there is a speck of dust trapped under the shield. Its not very big, but I know its there!

9. deckyon

deckyon
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    I have the ZAGG one on my iPod Touch, and may end up with one on my iPad, however, having just ordered the Otterbox Commuter, I will be giving that one a try first.

With the ZAGG (or any other decently made protector) you can really go worry free in regards to the screen. It is driving me nuts I have had my iPad for just short of a week with no screen protector.

It is really personal preference.

10. Wakawaka

Wakawaka
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    My take: I bought my iPhone 3G used with a lot of small scratches. It also had two big scratches you could notice with the phone on. I work outside in the dust (middle of nowhere) and with that plus my pocket I knew I would need one so to best buy I went an bought two on sale for $30. After 6 months I have small scratches on my screen protector! However the screen protector "filled in" the two large scratches.

For my iPad I got the 16gb 3G. I'm not going to put a screen protector on it until I get a scratch I can see with the screen on. I want to test it out. When the next iPad comes out I'll get the most memory an 3G (4G maybe??) with an otterbox an screen protector.

I would like to get a zagg leather back sheild though