What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Screen Protector--Necessary or Not?

Gayle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is a screen protector necessary or not? Asked two of my sons this question--one said yes, the other said no--therefore I need an outside opinion. If yes, what do you consider the best and if no, why not? :confused:

Kitty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For me, It is a must to have items, I prefer to spent extra money to protect a such high cost iPad so, why don't get one? no regret in the future

wot_fan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I will not be using a screen protector on my iPad. The optical glass used is extremely scratch resistant. I have had an iPhone since they came out. I haven't had even a tiny scratch on the glass. The case and bezel are another story ;). IMHO, most people don't need a screen protector.

Here is a vid of PC World testing the durability of the original iPhone.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUR70xhmqv4]YouTube - iPhone Torture Tests -- Will it Survive?[/ame]

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple has removed screen protectors from their site, and are saying they are not needed. My thought is that I would rather have a cover for the whole iPad with a flip open lid.

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is a touch operating system not a stylus one.

It also depends of what one does with the iPad. If it stays home most of the time like mine will, there will be minimal chances of scratching.

I would be more afraid of dropping it to the ground. I'm pretty sure this would be the biggest source of damages.

wot_fan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is a touch operating system not a stylus one.

It also depends of what one does with the iPad. If it stays home most of the time like mine will, there will be minimal chances of scratching.

I would be more afraid of dropping it to the ground. I'm pretty sure this would be the biggest source of damages.
I agree. That's why I got a SquareTrade warranty for mine. I think I will use my iPad a lot so drops are inevitable. It is nice to know that if one of those drops breaks the device, I am covered.

cimousa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.cimousa.com
The only reason I would possibly get a screen protector for the iPad would be to decrease the amount of smudges the screen accumulates. The oleophobic coating of the 3GS wore out which led to some issues but I haven't heard or read anything about the iPad having a similar feature.

wot_fan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
From the tech specs for the iPad

Display
9.7-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit glossy widescreen Multi-Touch display with IPS technology
1024-by-768-pixel resolution at 132 pixels per inch (ppi)
Fingerprint-resistant oleophobic coating
Support for display of multiple languages and characters simultaneously
Did your coating really wear off? I use my iPhone a lot and I can't tell the difference from when I bought it.

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The only reason I would possibly get a screen protector for the iPad would be to decrease the amount of smudges the screen accumulates. The oleophobic coating of the 3GS wore out which led to some issues but I haven't heard or read anything about the iPad having a similar feature.
I remember seeing that the iPad has an oleophobic coating on the Apple site. It's in the screen description.
Display

• 9.7-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit glossy widescreen Multi-Touch display with IPS technology
  • 1024-by-768-pixel resolution at 132 pixels per inch (ppi)
  • Fingerprint-resistant oleophobic coating
  • Support for display of multiple languages and characters simultaneously

Last edited:

rob the elder

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I dropped my IPHONE one time too many. Like toast it fell buttered side down. Broke the glass screen. The only thing that kept it from falling out on the ground and probably destroying the phone is the plastic screen protector I put over the face of the screen. You could see the cracks running all over the screen and the impact point but the phone still worked though it was hard to read. Cost me pretty to get the screen replaced.

Personally I will not go barefoot ever with my IPHONE. And I do not particularly want to test the IPAD either so will be putting on a screen protector. Just because.

iDaryl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I put a 'quality' screen protector on my 3GS when I first got it. I have never taken it off and you can hardly tell it's on there ('0' bubbles). It's been on for a year. When I do take it off, the screen will look brand new...

The way I look at it, if it doesn't bother you to have a protector on there, why chance it? Just put one on! I'll be putting protectors on my iPads as soon as the come out of the box.

Edlex

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I will probably try the boxwave screen protector and see how it feels. I have one on my pre and it works great. I have a 3 and 1 1/2 yr olds at home so you can't be too careful. And like wot fan I got the squaretrade insurance just in case.

nushieldguy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you want to take your iPad outside and read in sunlight I recommend that you try the NuShield DayVue antireflective protector film. It cancels out glare and lets you read the screen without having to do gymnastics to shade the screen from sunlight. It is also very easy to install.

codyhinson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
here is one reason why you shouldnt get a screen protector if your a careful person here are the official apple specs copied from apple .comDisplay
9.7-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit glossy widescreen Multi-Touch display with IPS technology
1024-by-768-pixel resolution at 132 pixels per inch (ppi)
Fingerprint-resistant oleophobic coating
Support for display of multiple languages and characters simultaneously

Most reactions

Latest posts