What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Screen protector- necessary?

foodie123

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I'm a newbie, and I just purchased my ipad over the weekend. I love it!
I already got a case for it, and I'm looking for a screen protector for it. Is this something that is recommended? If so, where can I find a good one?

I couldn't find one at the Apple Store...

tom1252

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi

First off i am a fan of the screen protector but some people don't like them.

I think that they are great and if applied well you wont even notice its there.

Look at Zagg Invisible shield

Hope this helps

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Health insurance - necessary???

Add another vote for the Zagg Invisible Shield, but get it from Amazon. It is half of what it cost to buy one directly from Zagg or Best Buy.

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Its a personal decision. The iPad screen is very hard and scratch-resistant, but I wouldnt say "scratch-proof". I have a Zagg and it changes the feel of the screen a bit (not much). It has a bit of a rubber-ish feel. I have the shield on front and back. I've been happy with mine and I like not having to think about scratches or being careful with the screen. I can also see how some people may be bothered by them.

You can also look around and get discount codes from Zagg. I got mine with a 50% off code they had on the internet over Memorial Day (I think that was the holiday).

Last edited:

CMFox

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can't imagine not having a screen protector. I've been traveling with my iPad and it gets covered with dust, crumbs, sticky spots, and finger prints. People want to use it & I can hand it over (even to well mannered kids) for them to take it for a test drive without worry.

I have a ZAGG and its been on it since the day it arrived. You can always remove it later. You can't fix a scratch later.

hth
CM

gregh2000

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had a zagg and did not like it at all. It is so rubbery that you can't slide your finger on the screen. I now have some cheap iluv one and it is great. One of my friends took the no screen protector approach and now has a scratch in his screen and is very pissed about it, lol.

nushieldguy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
NuShield recently posted the results of a test they conducted on the iPad for readability indoors and outdoors. The photos show that a DayVue antireflective glare protector provides better visibility outside. The photos of the screen were not retouched. Nushield

CaptKirk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't believe in screen protectors.. These screens are made very durable, you don't need a shield. My iPad has been through many young childrens hands, if anyone is going to scratch these screens it will be these kids. My screen looks as new when it came out of the box.

Furgy667

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Trust me all it takes is on speck of sand on a finger or cleaning cloth and you will scratch the screen. It is very hard to scratch with say keys , but sand is the enemy of any type of glass. I carried a phone with gorilla glass for almost two months before i tried to answer a call while sanding a driveway. Major scratch. That said i really hate screen protectors. I usually just accept that my device is not going to stay pristine and just deal with it. Small scratches rarely interfere with actually using the device . Most of the time the only way to see them is to turn off the screen. Most people will probably upgrade in a year or two . I don't see anyone getting that many scratches in that time.

Brandon

OP
F

foodie123

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for their suggestions and input. I purchased the Invisi-Shield and applied it today.
There are a TON of tiny microbubbles on my screen, and the instructions say they will eventually "move" out, but I'm nervous... is this indeed accurate?

tdmsu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The bubbles should be gone in a couple days. If they are still there after four days, and they bother you, then reapply.

Good luck!

KILLERkpd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't believe in screen protectors.. These screens are made very durable, you don't need a shield. My iPad has been through many young childrens hands, if anyone is going to scratch these screens it will be these kids. My screen looks as new when it came out of the box.

Capt, I would have to disagree, while my ipod does not have a screen protector. I got my iPad and in less thana week, it had 3 light scratches on the surface, never dropped or handle rough, just normal use. I have no idea how they got there but they look like they came from a swipe gesture.

Anywho, I got a Zagg shield (front only) and it actually looks alot better than other Zagg shields I have had on phones.

And like many others, I let my children use it at night so having a shield just gives me less stress....

DarkLordEnron

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for their suggestions and input. I purchased the Invisi-Shield and applied it today.
There are a TON of tiny microbubbles on my screen, and the instructions say they will eventually "move" out, but I'm nervous... is this indeed accurate?

There should be a couple, not a ton. You really need to wet the shield really really well, then apply it in a top to bottom or bottom to top fashion, working out major bubbles along the way. That's what I've found to be the most "bubble free". Mine has no bubbles at ALL, did have some strange streaks on the rear part but those disappeared in under 36 hours.

DarkLordEnron

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Large glass screen+living= screen protector. Unless the thing doesn't leave your home. That would be weird, though and I would have to ask you why you got one in the first place:)

I have the Zagg on all my devices, love it.

Those reviews on amazon are a bit biased IMHO. I could easily say, "hey, stay away from that pizza, I don't like the way it tastes" and it would be the same thing. Try it out and see what YOU like.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts