What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Opinions on 4.2.1

Digikid

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is a nice upgrade....however there are a few things that still need looking at.

1.) Mute Switch does NOT work.....
2.) Streaming to a AppleTV 2 is slow as a turtle on a oiled floor. ( Video and Photos )

Kingsmuse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
-I like the folders (The iPad is looking much less cluttered now).
-I don't see a lot of difference between the new multi tasking and simply switching between apps as before.
-I wish Airplay would stream to my Mac Mini instead of just Apple TV (Some third party will probably fix this soon)
-AirPrint is useless if it won't print through an Airport Express or computer (Third party apps are superior in this sense)
-iPad still really,really, REALLY needs a central file system.

Gary_P

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have had The new OS up for about 2 hours now and no issues.

As far as the Apple TV is concerned I have no intention of going that way. Between HD, 3D, plasma, LCD and all of the other option I think I may just start to impress al my friend and go back to tube black and white. Now THAT will get some attention.

If i have any issues I will be sure to post them.

slim gravy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i like it as a whole. i am miffed that air play and print are not what they said it was going to be. Was under the impression that as long as you had a wireless printer you can print. and air play could stream music from itunes to the ipad... hell my android phone can do it easily.

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i like it as a whole. i am miffed that air play and print are not what they said it was going to be. Was under the impression that as long as you had a wireless printer you can print. and air play could stream music from itunes to the ipad... hell my android phone can do it easily.

It is curious to wonder what Apple is thinking with regards to Android. Do they not see them as competition since Apple has a majority of developers? Is it that they aren't concerned about keeping feature parody because their devices have the "cool" factor and are generally very well made? It almost seems like they are pulling another Mac vs Windows, being so focused on offering their vision of a closed ecosystem that they lose marketshare to a platform that is so far less well developed but far more open and customizable.

Seriously Apple, do you expect me to convert 4 TB of video to mp4 so that it can play with your devices? Get with the times and stop limiting yourself to boost sales of iTunes.

wrecklass

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So far I like it quite a bit. Once I locked the screen to landscape it has been fine. I probably will never use the mute switch anyway.

Apps that are designed for 4.2 switch very fast. Not quite as easy as the back button on Android, but it is worlds better than we had. True multitasking will have to wait for iPads with 1GB of RAM or more.

Folders are really helpful and a welcome addition for my iPad. I had over a half a dozen home screens full of apps and getting it back down to a couple of screens with folders is great.

So far the upgrade is working extremely well for me and I suspect we'll have updates with lots of bug fixes by the end of the year.

Hedonist222

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is a nice upgrade....however there are a few things that still need looking at.

Actually I think the mute button is used to mute system sounds (like incoming emails, sms and calls (for iPhone)) while the the volume button is for user designated sounds (like a movie/song).

This way you can mute the system sounds (with the button) but continue watching a movie in full volume.

Makes me wonder, what used to happen in the past? ding dong sounds while watching a movie? Huh?

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score

2.) Streaming to a AppleTV 2 is slow as a turtle on a oiled floor. ( Video and Photos )

I just got an Apple TV2 thinking I'd use it to stream family video from the iPad. Does video freeze and hiccup?

ChefDude

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i upgraded my iphone 4 and ipad last night - the ipad feels more responsive :)

Reaction score
Also confused with MUTE Slider function. It silences my keyboard (System sounds), but not my music or video (user sounds). What's the point? I don't type when I watch YouTube, so that's useless. And, you can turn the keyboard off. I want my old Orientation LOCK back.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Like it lots. Folders reduced my pages from 11 to 4.

Plus I can listen to BBC radio while reading the NYTimes........need never get out of bed in the mornings now.

@Thphilli why do you need to convert your videos? Just keep a couple of old favorites on the iPad for travelling and all the rest just stream.

OP
D

Digikid

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I just got an Apple TV2 thinking I'd use it to stream family video from the iPad. Does video freeze and hiccup?

Lets put it this way. I told it to go and stream an episode of the new Knight Rider to the Appletv2. Five minutes later a STILL showed up on the screen. Put it down and went to Subway to get a sub.....it will still at the EXACT same spot....no buffering at all.

Thought maybe the video was too large so tried a youtbe rip of MysteryGuitarMan......same result.

Kingsmuse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
-I don't see a lot of difference between the new multi tasking and simply switching between apps as before.

-AirPrint is useless if it won't print through an Airport Express or computer (Third party apps are superior in this sense)

I`d like to change my opinion on these two comments.

The "multitasking" is much easier now that I`ve had time to play with it.
It`s a definate improvement.

The printing problem goes away as soon as you install Printopia on any Mac computer and plug your printer into the fore mentioned Mac computer or an Airport Express.
This combination does what Apple initially said it would do with Air Print.

I also use Print Bureau, it works well too and has the advantage of not needing to stream print jobs through a computer but runs them directly through my Airport Express.

Last edited:

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm amazed how many people here still print things. Whenever I go to print something at home, step 1 is always "Find New Ink Cartridge" since the last one dried up over a year or so of non-use.

Dannyboy85

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm amazed how many people here still print things. Whenever I go to print something at home, step 1 is always "Find New Ink Cartridge" since the last one dried up over a year or so of non-use.

LOL I agree! I bought a $20 printer to print a few things the other day. I'm pretty sure "printing" is almost done... .well ok some need to print....

Most reactions

Latest posts