What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AppleTV jailbreak?

Kenilik

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all, I have some questions about streaming video, jailbreaking and AppleTV. My setup is as follows:
- iPad2 3G 64gb (jbme.30)
- Win7 high end PC
- ReadyNAS duo 2Tb NAS device (built in DLNA server)
- 46inch sharp lcd tv - only has hdmi input - no usb or wifi or cat5

I have been steadily ripping my home DVD collection of movies and tv series to avi files and storing them on my NAS. I am now able to stream my movies directly to my iPad using Air Player. It all works pretty well with above average video quality. I'm no audio/video-phile so I can make do with some degradation from the original DVD's.

I do have a few problems with this setup:
1) the ipad is tethered to the tv for the duration of watching my movies. grrrr
2) there is no remote for the ipad.
3) Air Player is not very stable and i have quite a few problems getting the video to display on the tv through hdmi. It also occasionally drops out for no apparent reason.

I have also trialled AirVideo which has it's own server app on the PC. It has much better video quality and functionality i.e. Resume playback from last position than

I am considering another solution but I'm not really sure what to do. So can someone either confirm the assumptions or answer my questions below:
1) AppleTV can only stream from movies from iTunes? If true and there is no way around this it'll be a show stopper for me - i hate iTunes with passion.
2) Can AppleTV be jailbroken?
3) What are benefits of jb AppleTV?
4) Is there software available that would allow me to stream from dlna to AppleTV.
5) Can you control AppleTV from iPad?

Off the wall, should I just avoid AppleTV and go for some other hardware solution that will stream from DLNA natively AND allow control from my IPad? Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Kenilik - New Zealand - Sent from my iPad2 using iPF

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all, I have some questions about streaming video, jailbreaking and AppleTV. My setup is as follows:
- iPad2 3G 64gb (jbme.30)
- Win7 high end PC
- ReadyNAS duo 2Tb NAS device (built in DLNA server)
- 46inch sharp lcd tv - only has hdmi input - no usb or wifi or cat5

I have been steadily ripping my home DVD collection of movies and tv series to avi files and storing them on my NAS. I am now able to stream my movies directly to my iPad using Air Player. It all works pretty well with above average video quality. I'm no audio/video-phile so I can make do with some degradation from the original DVD's.

I do have a few problems with this setup:
1) the ipad is tethered to the tv for the duration of watching my movies. grrrr
2) there is no remote for the ipad.
3) Air Player is not very stable and i have quite a few problems getting the video to display on the tv through hdmi. It also occasionally drops out for no apparent reason.

I have also trialled AirVideo which has it's own server app on the PC. It has much better video quality and functionality i.e. Resume playback from last position than

I am considering another solution but I'm not really sure what to do. So can someone either confirm the assumptions or answer my questions below:
1) AppleTV can only stream from movies from iTunes?False If true and there is no way around this it'll be a show stopper for me - i hate iTunes with passion.
2) Can AppleTV be jailbroken? Yes
3) What are benefits of jb AppleTV?
4) Is there software available that would allow me to stream from dlna to AppleTV.
5) Can you control AppleTV from iPad? Yes

Off the wall, should I just avoid AppleTV and go for some other hardware solution that will stream from DLNA natively AND allow control from my IPad? Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Kenilik - New Zealand - Sent from my iPad2 using iPF

cool, checkout airserver

DefBref

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mobro.co
The major benefit of jail breaking atv2 is that you can then install xbmc or plex and no longer have to rely on iTunes for your media, which is what you want.

Snakez69

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Buy Apple TV 2 , JailBreak it. Install XBMC on it. Get your IPad , install XBMC Commander on it and then you can do everything you want and more....

Sent from my iPad 2 3G using iPF

Snakez69

iPF Noob
Reaction score
GenerationX said:
Whats xbmc commander. Is that the original xbmc app?

It 's à GREAT app to use as à remote for XBMC on IPad. Just check it out in AppStore .

cesctheman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a brand new Apple TV and can't use it because I don't have an HDTV. :/

Did you not research apple tv before, I don't know if there is a way around this.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Kenilik

Kenilik

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Jailbreak the Apple TV, it takes a few tries to get it right, but If I can do it anyone can!! Install XBMC and watch videos and listen to music to your hearts content, wirelessly from your PC!! Perfick!!

Ok went and bought atv2 tonight. I'm having real trouble with jbing it. Getting error 21 or 600x! Tuts are not fantastic for newbie like me... :(

rsava

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok went and bought atv2 tonight. I'm having real trouble with jbing it. Getting error 21 or 600x! Tuts are not fantastic for newbie like me... :(
You just need to keep trying. Google some sites on JBing it.
I know I had to try about 10 times before it "stuck".
There are lots of sites out there with tips and tricks on doing it.
Trust me it is worth it. It is good for more than just XBMC, although that in itself is great.

Silent Assassin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
cesctheman said:
I have a brand new Apple TV and can't use it because I don't have an HDTV. :/

Did you not research apple tv before, I don't know if there is a way around this.

There are converters that will work for your problem..

Here's one that I've read about others having success with.. It's available via Amazon..

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/HDMI-RCA-Component-AV-Converter/dp/B002WBOQPU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1295942245&sr=8-1[/ame]

Sent from Jailbroken my iPad Deux (32gb WiFi iOS4.3.3).. d(-_-)b

Silent Assassin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kenilik said:

I had this issue on my home laptop when trying to jailbreak my ATV2.. I had to end up taking it to work and jailbreaking it on my work pc..

Sent from Jailbroken my iPad Deux (32gb WiFi iOS4.3.3).. d(-_-)b

Snakez69

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kenilik said:

I had the same problems, specially to get it in dfu mode. Most tutorials tell you to keep the powercord of and only use microusb. But then i could not get it in dfu mode. With me it worked when i kept the powercord in till it was in dfu mode, after that i pulled the powercord out of the Apple tv, and then it worked in ITunes without errors.

Most reactions

Latest posts