AppleTV?

Discussion in 'Apple TV' started by RAC, Sep 7, 2010.

1. AVService

AVService
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    "The design changes are significant. The new Apple TV is a quarter of the size of its predecessor and is all black—which will help it blend in with HDTVs and various other entertainment center devices. The device now only sports HDMI, power, optical audio, and ethernet ports (along with a diagnostic USB port). It also keeps the built-in 802.11n wireless networking of the previous generation. Unfortunately, the Apple TV still has a maximum video output of 720p, meaning no 1080p streams from iTunes (or Netflix)."

Quote from ARS blurb about the ATV.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2...eliminates-storage-and-integrates-netflix.ars

Most newer sets have an HDMI connection.
    If not you don't need an Apple TV evidently?

If my Internet connection dies with an old Apple TV I can still watch what I have on it already.

New Apple TV Out of luck,I can only stream from a computer then.

Only time will tell but I do not think it even enters Apples mind what we want or need.
    99 cent shows and $4.99 movies we rent is what it is after.
    Steve even said it would be cheaper to rent the same ones over and over than buying them.

Go Figure?

Ed

#41 AVService, Sep 9, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2010
  2. Bluesjam

Bluesjam
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I think Apple needs to send us the first bunch of them so us good ole iPad users can try it out with the iPad.:D

3. Guypad

Guypad
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Sounds like a great idea!

4. Digikid

Digikid
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Sign me up! I think that what the Apple rep told me was incorrect then. Sorry guys. :(

5. SweetPoison

SweetPoison
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    What did they tell you? I can't scroll down. My head hurts.:(

6. Digikid

Digikid
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    The underlined part.

7. arshield

arshield
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I like the idea of the apple TV but with no storage it will not have any Tivo functionality. So it will not replace anything that I already have. I will have to keep my Tivo. My Wii already streams netflix and I don't really want to start paying apple for video. If it had a little storage and would work like a basic Tivo, I would buy it. But without storage, I can't justify it.

8. Prasius

Prasius
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    So you're happy to buy a device which will do exactly the same thing as a device you have already got, but not buy a device that does something completely different? :confused:

Does your Tivo or Wii stream your entire iTunes library & contents of iPads, iPhones & iPod Touches to your TV? I think not ;). This is the entire point of AppleTV to me... (and probably to apple...). This is what Microsoft was trying to do with Windows Media Centre, but Apple are going to nail it by going the reverse route. You already have tones of media in you itunes Library... Why not view it on your TV? ;)

9. SweetPoison

SweetPoison
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Oh! That's a good thing! Thanks!

10. arshield

arshield
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Actually my Tivo will sync with my computer. But I don't really want that. My computer is already in my livingroom. I would be happy to move away from a $12 a month tivo fee if the apple tv would do the Tivo thing. But right now Apple TV doesn't do anything that another device that I already have doesn't do as well or better. If I could get rid of a monthly fee or consolidate devices, I would think about it.