What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Opinions on 4.2.1

OP
D

Digikid

iPF Noob
Reaction score
4.2.1 was worth the price for the upgrade. Honestly, I have nothing bad to say about it.

Err....it was FREE. :confused:

I just got an Apple TV2 thinking I'd use it to stream family video from the iPad. Does video freeze and hiccup?

Lets put it this way. I told it to go and stream an episode of the new Knight Rider to the Appletv2. Five minutes later a STILL showed up on the screen. Put it down and went to Subway to get a sub.....it will still at the EXACT same spot....no buffering at all.

Thought maybe the video was too large so tried a youtbe rip of MysteryGuitarMan......same result.

Maybe it just realized that Knight Rider is a steaming turd that you shouldn't be watching...it was looking out for your best interest!

Noted that you have no common sense when it comes to good TV Series.

Go away.

Last edited:

foof

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Until all your apps stop working. Eventually you have to move on. I know there are still people using Windows 2000 (insane) but eventually you realize you are doing 10x the work to get at the same result by just having your software up to date.
Hmmm, I didn't know the apps you buy are time bombed. :rolleyes: Usually you can keep using old apps on an old OS. Upgrading (I hate that term because it's seldom true) isn't always necessary. Using your Windows example, yes, I have an old laptop with Win2K on it. It runs a lot better than XP. With Office 97 or 2000 on such an old system, I'm 10x more productive than on pos win7 and the even bigger pos office 07 or 11. Neither the OS or Office have any compelling new features.

A computer, iPad, whatever, is just a tool. Tools make your life easier. Adding a bunch of eye candy and bloat just to sell 'upgrades' is stupid. iOS 4.2 had a couple of worthwhile features but most of the new stuff was useless, including a print system that doesn't work with 99.9% of existing printers. It killed the rotation switch, which meant more to me than being able to upgrade or buy new apps.

Consumers are told to upgrade. 'Recommended', says Apple. Upgrading keeps you safe! Upgrading gives you the latest features! All it did for my 3G was take a productive tool and make it useless (4.0), barely usable (4.1) and then buggy (4.2). Now they are trying to do it to my iPad and slow me down there too. I'll upgrade again when a) 4.2 is properly jailbroken and b) a rotation switch hack comes out. Until then I'll be getting things done on my more productive configuration.

DarioPhantom

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Multitasking is working like a charm for me. I love listening to music from YouTube without having to quit out the application to search for something else. Also, switching between apps so swiftly makes it more enjoyable to use my iPad, which I didn't think I could since I was fine with it before.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
@foof read the forums. Airprint works well if you make the effort.

and Yeah w2k works well on old laptops but I'd hate to do serious work in Lightroom on it.

Remember the sharper the tool the less effort needed.

Jnclem

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just got home after being gone all week for Thanksgiving. I finally got to load 4.2 tonight. I am used to 4.1 on the iPhone, so I have missed both folders and app switching/ multitasking. I was a little nervous after reading about the problems all week, but that seems to be the way it is with every update.

4.2 loaded perfectly on both iPad and iPhone. It runs very quickly on the iPad. I really like it. Web pages are loading significantly faster. Sorry to those who are having wifi problems. All is well here.

sharpey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wifi reception is pants on 4.2.1 a few times ive been surfing with a max signal and it just stops and loses the connection altogether so i have to go back into settings to connect again!
just finished it off for me one ipad going on ebay soon

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Multitasking is working like a charm for me. I love listening to music from YouTube without having to quit out the application to search for something else. Also, switching between apps so swiftly makes it more enjoyable to use my iPad, which I didn't think I could since I was fine with it before.

You are in Sacramento too? Might not be Cali, though! This is very true for me too!

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I, too, am quite pleased with the upgrade. I was enjoying my iPad very much before iOS 4.2 and, with multi-tasking and folders(!), I am enjoying it even more. I like being able to select a link in my e-mail, open Safai, read the website and then doublclick the home button to select my open e-mail. All this while listening to my favorite radio station in the background. Way too cool! And, having my apps organizes into folders I make? Bonus! :D

Marilyn

priceless29

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am not what I would consider a tech savvy person. I attempted to upgrade last Tuesday but for some reason once it was supposedly done I still was showing the 3 version. I tried it again last night once I got home from work and voila success. BTW I used my three year old laptop with Vista for the upgrade.

Rev mike

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I can see that this upgrade is more harmful than good. So I'm holding off. Anything that messes with the wifi is bad juju.

I don't need a central file system with readdle docs. That does it all. I haven't noticed the lack of real multi tasking yet. Or maybe I prefer single tasking monogamy.

Can't see anything I need that outweighs the new problems.

-mike

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I understand the rotation issue however. The statement made above "You realize the people complaining are in the VAST minority". This is exactly the situation unfortunatley forums tend to bring those whom have problems and if you really research it that is the case with this upgrade I have to laugh that when I ask some one whom upgraded not associated with forums what do you think of os4.2 the answer is great improvement, much better and so on I have yet to hear someone say it is useless cant understand the upgrade and so on.

Most reactions