Opinions on 4.2.1

Discussion in 'iPad OS' started by Digikid, Nov 22, 2010.

1. foof

foof
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Same here. Definitely a 'meh' upgrade. I've already gone back to jb3.2.

1. The main reason I went back. I use that button every time I need to look at a pdf. I leave the iPad in landscape most of the time but when I need to see something in portrait I can't have the damned thing spinning around whenever I put it down. The software switch doesn't cut it.

2. Reminds me of WinCE. Very few times have I needed anything more than what was in 3.2

3. Yep. I'd like better access to what I have already. Being able to stream from a limited capacity device to an HDMI only zero capacity device is pointless. I have years worth of tv shows and movies already stored on my old Apple TV. What does running down the battery of my iPad serve. I might as well use a cable, then I wouldn't be limited to HDMI.

4. It will be a cold day in hell before I buy any HP product. Even though I print quite a bit, I'm not going to buy a new printer either.

On the plus side, unified mailbox and folders. Whoopie. Downside, the iWork updates won't install on 3.2.

At least it wasn't as bad as the iPhone 3G update. No new features, not even find in safari. Either the same or slower than 4.1. It broke the sorting of tv shows in the iPod app. All shows now get grouped under 'unknown'.

2. mslammers

mslammers
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I really agree on the cluttered view. I like the folders too even though they are limited.

The so called "multitasking" is not really multitasking but nearly so. The restart of a "closed" app is much faster in general.

I can understand why some are still wishing for Airplay and AirPrint, but I can get along without them.

Now a Central File Management System is another matter. I would imagine that the iPad will need more reserved RAM memory for that to be possible though. Probably will show up in iPad 3 or 4. By then we will be more comfortable with getting a new iPad since different hardware will be required.

Steve Jobs will probably have to get over his view that the iPad is "not a computer"

3. gentlefury

gentlefury
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Maybe it just realized that Knight Rider is a steaming turd that you shouldn't be watching...it was looking out for your best interest!

4. gentlefury

gentlefury
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Until all your apps stop working. Eventually you have to move on. I know there are still people using Windows 2000 (insane) but eventually you realize you are doing 10x the work to get at the same result by just having your software up to date.

5. hookbill

hookbill
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    With the app ZumoCast you can stream iTunes to your iPad. I didn't see anybody mention that to you.

6. hookbill

hookbill
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    I like the upgrade. I really didn't like not being able to multitask. Those of you who say it isn't "real" multitasking I don't know what you're looking for. It took me a bit to understand how exactly it works but after watching a video on it I got it. Then again I've never had an upgrade on anything that I didn't like. Maybe I'm just too easy to please.

7. Tinman

Tinman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    And more than just what is in iTunes... you can stream just about anything on your computer. And it transcodes media on-the-fly so it will play about anything. I routinely stream video that would never play on the iPad natively.

Some of the stuff I have streamed I couldn't even play on the computer it was stored on... in that case it was a real media file (never liked real media).

8. Andy Loba

Andy Loba
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Just installed 4.2 yesterday. There are some improvements but since that installed, I can no longer transfer photos from my SD card using the camera connection kit adapter ... also I get no more warning when the battery gets to 20% as before, when it was down to 14% I decided to recharge. Consequently from now on, I will have to watch myself the battery % to recharge the battery.

9. Tinman

Tinman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    It is very useful to lock orientation on an iPhone or Touch for the same reason as the iPad. But like it or not the switch ain't coming back. Apple is firm on this. Jobs said it himself. He even said it won't be user configurable.

Be happy on the iPad the soft switch locks it in either orientation. On the iPhone it only does vertical, not landscape--at least on 4.1. Talk about insulting. And heck, before 4.x we didn't even have any way to lock orientation even though it was asked about all the time. Fortunately a jailbreak app can do it--and in both orientations.

No doubt an app will come out to change the mute switch on iPad to orientation lock.

I mostly agree on AirPlay. However, if you have a camera kit and have new photos on your iPad that you downloaded it is nice to throw them to a TV without wires.

And as far as streaming from the iPad to ATV I don't have much use for it, with a caveat. My iPad is only a subset of what is on my iTunes PC and my ATV can ALREADY play anything in my iTunes on that PC. That said the pics and video I did test streamed fine... no delays or anything.

However, what I would LIKE to use it for are with apps. Let's say you have a board game for iPad. Would be nice to throw that on the ATV for easier viewing. Or for apps where there is nothing on ATV that is equivalent. Alas about the only things I found I could stream video to the ATV were redundant: I already have YouTube on ATV yet I can stream it from the iPad now? Uh, yay. Why not, say, the PBS app? I do hope that this is only a matter of time. I hate cables.

Michael

10. Irish Rose

Irish Rose
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    The only thing that I really dislike about the new iOS so far, is changing the orientation lock switch to a mute switch, which doesn't work at all anyway. Everything else is fine, and I'm loving the folders.