What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AppleTV?

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I would be interested to hear what opinions are of the new AppleTV especially when used with the iPad.

I also have a few questions.

Does the iPad connect direct to AppleTV or do both connect to your WiFi network?

If the latter, is there a way to discover the AppleTV MAC address (I use MAC address filtering for increased security).

I might have to upgrade my network to Wireless N to stream movies, right?

Can AppleTV work with a Windows :rolleyes: computer?

Thanks

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The MAC address can be found in the Settings | About menu or right there on the box --

appletv-upc.jpg

Apple TV can use WiFi or a hardwired connection to your router. 802.11n would give you the best results.

Yes, it will work with Windows or MAC.

chisaki

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would be interested to hear what opinions are of the new AppleTV especially when used with the iPad.

I also have a few questions.

Does the iPad connect direct to AppleTV or do both connect to your WiFi network?

If the latter, is there a way to discover the AppleTV MAC address (I use MAC address filtering for increased security).

I might have to upgrade my network to Wireless N to stream movies, right?

Can AppleTV work with a Windows :rolleyes: computer?

Thanks

I don't think much of Apple TV. I have a PC with a nvidia 9800 video card and it gives a much better picture than Apple TV. Actually, there is no comparison with a HD media source on an HDTV, the nvidea wins hands down.

The only advantage of Apple TV is it works wireless over my wireless-n network, no advantage for me since my TV is near my computer and is connected to the nvidea card with a HDMI cable. Going wireless is not worth a greatly degraded picture, IMHO.

Apple TV was a waste of money.

Last edited:

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The new AppleTV will not be available for another month. I like the fact that it's only 99$. Is there any memory on the new one? The old had a hard disk...

Purpleorchid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Strictly streaming, I believe. No storage. Therefore you'll have to have a laptop to provide the source for streaming.

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Strictly streaming, I believe. No storage. Therefore you'll have to have a laptop to provide the source for streaming.
I'm afraid you're right. I wonder then if it will work with an NAS?

Why is it that we always need to have a computer on with Apple products? In those days of energy saving it makes no sense, we turn out the lights to leave a computer on?

Prasius

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No reason it shouldn't work with a NAS if you're running an itunes server. Personally, I'll be using one with the wake on LAN power saving option. I see it not having storage as a bonus personally - I see the ability to have all my media in one location to be an advantage, not a disadvantage - if there was a way of recording direct to my itunes library from my Virgin+HD cable box instead of the internal HD I'd think it was peerfect!

The rental issue is a bit of a non-starter in the UK IMO, but I'm getting one for the ease of streaming my iTunes library to my AV system. I don't see the 720p as being a real issue, as the things I want to watch in "full" HD I will alway watch on bluray.

Last edited:

AVService

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The current AppleTV links an iTunes library you already have so it can be streamed through another AV System.
In addition media can be downloaded directly to it and stored there for off-line viewing at anytime.

The new model will only allow streaming from either local machines iTunes or from the new Rental Store as there is no storage in it at all.

Great for Apple not so great for the rest of us IMHO.

N wifi is not required but will be an advantage.
I have several working with G wifi and it works OK in general.

In my house I use Mac Mini's to do the same thing much better in all ways.
Many though prefer the ATV for the simplified (limited) interface and I install a lot of them.

They have their place for sure.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have an apple tv and love it main difference with new model will be streaming from iPad, iphone3gs or iphone4 and iPod touch later models and any computer with latest version of iTunes loaded.
One can rent movies direct from iTunes streaming via wifi. Total control using remote provided or using app remote on iPad, iphone and iPod touch. Output is HD or standard

One will require the latest os loaded on to I devices to allow streaming

Col

jkhonea

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
Man, I'm so glad I have the old AppleTV in this case. The streaming necessity really reduces the reason to have the AppleTV. I bought mine specifically so I could turn the computer off and work straight off of the device.

What a backwards move.

Prasius

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Basically you can access your whole iTunes library. Video, music and photos.

Personally, I prefer it to be streaming only - I only have to look after one place for all my media.

jkhonea

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
Basically you can access your whole iTunes library. Video, music and photos.

Personally, I prefer it to be streaming only - I only have to look after one place for all my media.

On that aspect it is good, but the turnabout on that is you ALWAYS have to have the computer on to pull your files from. That kinda sucks. ;)

Most reactions

Latest posts