What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AppleTV?

Digikid

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think many folks are missing the point of the new Apple TV. The idea is not to have storage at all, but to stream everything from the web. Netflix, Apple's web content, etc.

Apple figures the average consumer just wants to rent movies and TV shows, not bother with having storage for all of it. Content in the cloud, that's the plan.

BINGO! I myself will grab one when they come out. It is the perfect companion to the iPad IMHO. Just press a button and your stuff is on the TV. Apple told me that it uses iPad/iPod DIRECT communication which means that it can choose to not use a router at all and just grab it from your iDevice.

What did they tell you? I can't scroll down. My head hurts.:(

The underlined part.

arshield

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mrshields.com
I like the idea of the apple TV but with no storage it will not have any Tivo functionality. So it will not replace anything that I already have. I will have to keep my Tivo. My Wii already streams netflix and I don't really want to start paying apple for video. If it had a little storage and would work like a basic Tivo, I would buy it. But without storage, I can't justify it.

Prasius

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I like the idea of the apple TV but with no storage it will not have any Tivo functionality. So it will not replace anything that I already have. I will have to keep my Tivo. My Wii already streams netflix and I don't really want to start paying apple for video. If it had a little storage and would work like a basic Tivo, I would buy it. But without storage, I can't justify it.

So you're happy to buy a device which will do exactly the same thing as a device you have already got, but not buy a device that does something completely different? :confused:

Does your Tivo or Wii stream your entire iTunes library & contents of iPads, iPhones & iPod Touches to your TV? I think not ;). This is the entire point of AppleTV to me... (and probably to apple...). This is what Microsoft was trying to do with Windows Media Centre, but Apple are going to nail it by going the reverse route. You already have tones of media in you itunes Library... Why not view it on your TV? ;)

arshield

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mrshields.com

So you're happy to buy a device which will do exactly the same thing as a device you have already got, but not buy a device that does something completely different? :confused:

Does your Tivo or Wii stream your entire iTunes library & contents of iPads, iPhones & iPod Touches to your TV? I think not ;). This is the entire point of AppleTV to me... (and probably to apple...). This is what Microsoft was trying to do with Windows Media Centre, but Apple are going to nail it by going the reverse route. You already have tones of media in you itunes Library... Why not view it on your TV? ;)

Actually my Tivo will sync with my computer. But I don't really want that. My computer is already in my livingroom. I would be happy to move away from a $12 a month tivo fee if the apple tv would do the Tivo thing. But right now Apple TV doesn't do anything that another device that I already have doesn't do as well or better. If I could get rid of a monthly fee or consolidate devices, I would think about it.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Strictly streaming, I believe. No storage. Therefore you'll have to have a laptop to provide the source for streaming.

No you won't...it is cloud based. You want to watch a movie or show you pay for it then it just adds it to your account...you want to watch it you watch it...it should have a small amount of flash memory to be able to rewind/load and also FF/load. All it needs is about 8GB of memory in order to be able to accommodate one movie at a time (which is all you could possibly watch anyway. You watch your movie, then when your done it deletes the residual data.....much like how netflix works.

If you want to buy anything tho you will need a computer to stream from.

I do all this on my PS3, so they will have to come up with a little bit more to get me to buy an apple tv...but if you don't have a media streamer yet...for $99....in HD...you can't beat that!!

Bluesjam

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ok, I have a couple of questions. If I buy 2 Apple TV's and install them on two different TV's in my house, now since my iTunes will be streaming the feed would it be able to be shown on both TV's at the same time? If it's on the Wifi it looks like it would work.

Ross101

iPF Noob
Reaction score
apple tv and i pad problems

Hello All

i have recently purchased and ipad 2 ,air port express, and apple TV hoping to use the remote app for the pad but having problems syncing remote app to Apple TV.

I noticed the icon on itunes next to the genius icon which allows you to select apple TV computer or air port express i would assume that you would choose airport express icon?

I have also found that the onetime it worked it was very slow the airport express was no more than 20 feet away in a different bedroom, my thoughts are to run a LAN cable plug the airport express right next to the apple TV unit hoping to improve performance.

any thoughts guys would be much appreciated

Cheers Ross

DefBref

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mobro.co
If you want to control the atv and there's a atv option why would you assume the airport express is the correct option? Those options are destinations for when you use AirPlay, so if you want to listen/watch something on your atv then select it, want to listen on your airport express select that.

As to actually using the remote to control your atv, are you signed in to homesharing on the atv, iTunes and the remote app using the same account. Also is your iPad connected to the same network as your atv?

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Guys this is a old thread I think I will setup new forum for apple tv after consultation with owners as it is part of the iPad, iPhone solution what do you think

DefBref

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mobro.co
Do you mean a new subforum here, or a totally separate forum like the iPhone one?

I don't think you would get the traffic to warrant a separate forum and as a subforum, I would suggest it includes apple tv airport express and other airplay hardware.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Do you mean a new subforum here, or a totally separate forum like the iPhone one?

I don't think you would get the traffic to warrant a separate forum and as a subforum, I would suggest it includes apple tv airport express and other airplay hardware.

That is exactly what I mean. Apple tv is main then sub forums for each other Give me time guys ok I am still sorting. Out the new sub forums in international

Most reactions

Latest posts