What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Opinions on 4.2.1

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@Thphilli why do you need to convert your videos? Just keep a couple of old favorites on the iPad for travelling and all the rest just stream.

I don't want to convert ANYTHING. That is the point. There is no reason the iPad shouldn't be able to play at least 720P mkv files. The only reason is that Apple didn't develop the drivers necessary for hardware acceleration while doing so. Converting is a gigantic PITA. I use Air Video all of the time, but its not always a viable option.

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm amazed how many people here still print things. Whenever I go to print something at home, step 1 is always "Find New Ink Cartridge" since the last one dried up over a year or so of non-use.

Accounting, business, drawings for the furniture I build and photos. I print large scale mostly so it's no use on the iPad but I wish it could...

I know it doesn't matter to everyone but if our digital pictures are not printed they die off with us. Of course there are services for that...(yes, pun noticed)

Kingsmuse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm amazed how many people here still print things. Whenever I go to print something at home, step 1 is always "Find New Ink Cartridge" since the last one dried up over a year or so of non-use.

Lol, if it were just me I`d probably be in the situation you describe above.

However I seem to be printing all kinds of documents for my 10 year olds schoolwork constantly nowadays.

20 page science report just ate the last of my ink cartridge.

newfmp3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Overall, it is not worth the hype people made of it, but I expected that.

1. I want my screen rotation lock button back. I do not care if they did this to be like the iPhone and touches. I do not own of those, I will not own one, and I'd imagine on a 3.5 inch screen there is very little need to rotate lock the screen anyways.

2. Multitasking is a improvement but a mess. Apps should close when I hit the button, now they all stay open...or in sleep state. Most users are only going to be confused by this and have a zillion apps left open.

3. Air play is pointless...to me. Does't everyone keep their pics, songs, and vids on a pc? Should we not be trying to find ways to stream TO the device, not from it? The iPad has a non expandable 64 gig at best. My music alone is 120 gig

4. Air print is useless to me as well, not buying a printer just for the 10 pages I need to print each year, but hey its there for those that need it...just have more $$$ to buy that compatible hardware for it....lame.

Safari is no better, I still have issues connecting to cisco aironet devices, I still have issues taking 12 hours to backup, that darn swipe to unlock feature is still annoying me, there are still no arrow keys, and the list goes on.

I do love the folders

Last edited:

foof

iPF Noob
Reaction score

1. I want my screen rotation lock button back. I do not care if they did this to be like the iPhone and touches. I do not own of those, I will not own one, and I'd imagine on a 3.5 inch screen there is very little need to rotate lock the screen anyways.

2. Multitasking is a improvement but a mess. Apps should close when I hit the button, now they all stay open...or in sleep state. Most users are only going to be confused by this and have a zillion apps left open.

3. Air play is pointless...to me. Does't everyone keep their pics, songs, and vids on a pc? Should we not be trying to find ways to stream TO the device, not from it? The iPad has a non expandable 64 gig at best. My music alone is 120 gig

4. Air print is useless to me as well, not buying a printer just for the 10 pages I need to print each year, but hey its there for those that need it...just have more $$$ to buy that compatible hardware for it....lame.

I do love the folders
Same here. Definitely a 'meh' upgrade. I've already gone back to jb3.2.

1. The main reason I went back. I use that button every time I need to look at a pdf. I leave the iPad in landscape most of the time but when I need to see something in portrait I can't have the damned thing spinning around whenever I put it down. The software switch doesn't cut it.

2. Reminds me of WinCE. Very few times have I needed anything more than what was in 3.2

3. Yep. I'd like better access to what I have already. Being able to stream from a limited capacity device to an HDMI only zero capacity device is pointless. I have years worth of tv shows and movies already stored on my old Apple TV. What does running down the battery of my iPad serve. I might as well use a cable, then I wouldn't be limited to HDMI.

4. It will be a cold day in hell before I buy any HP product. Even though I print quite a bit, I'm not going to buy a new printer either.

On the plus side, unified mailbox and folders. Whoopie. Downside, the iWork updates won't install on 3.2.

At least it wasn't as bad as the iPhone 3G update. No new features, not even find in safari. Either the same or slower than 4.1. It broke the sorting of tv shows in the iPod app. All shows now get grouped under 'unknown'.

mslammers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
I really agree on the cluttered view. I like the folders too even though they are limited.

The so called "multitasking" is not really multitasking but nearly so. The restart of a "closed" app is much faster in general.

I can understand why some are still wishing for Airplay and AirPrint, but I can get along without them.

Now a Central File Management System is another matter. I would imagine that the iPad will need more reserved RAM memory for that to be possible though. Probably will show up in iPad 3 or 4. By then we will be more comfortable with getting a new iPad since different hardware will be required.

Steve Jobs will probably have to get over his view that the iPad is "not a computer"
-I like the folders (The iPad is looking much less cluttered now).
-I don't see a lot of difference between the new multi tasking and simply switching between apps as before.
-I wish Airplay would stream to my Mac Mini instead of just Apple TV (Some third party will probably fix this soon)
-AirPrint is useless if it won't print through an Airport Express or computer (Third party apps are superior in this sense)
-iPad still really,really, REALLY needs a central file system.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is a nice upgrade....however there are a few things that still need looking at.

1.) Mute Switch does NOT work.....
2.) Streaming to a AppleTV 2 is slow as a turtle on a oiled floor. ( Video and Photos )

I just got an Apple TV2 thinking I'd use it to stream family video from the iPad. Does video freeze and hiccup?

Lets put it this way. I told it to go and stream an episode of the new Knight Rider to the Appletv2. Five minutes later a STILL showed up on the screen. Put it down and went to Subway to get a sub.....it will still at the EXACT same spot....no buffering at all.

Thought maybe the video was too large so tried a youtbe rip of MysteryGuitarMan......same result.

Maybe it just realized that Knight Rider is a steaming turd that you shouldn't be watching...it was looking out for your best interest!

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I do love the folders
Same here. Definitely a 'meh' upgrade. I've already gone back to jb3.2.

1. The main reason I went back. I use that button every time I need to look at a pdf. I leave the iPad in landscape most of the time but when I need to see something in portrait I can't have the damned thing spinning around whenever I put it down. The software switch doesn't cut it.

2. Reminds me of WinCE. Very few times have I needed anything more than what was in 3.2

3. Yep. I'd like better access to what I have already. Being able to stream from a limited capacity device to an HDMI only zero capacity device is pointless. I have years worth of tv shows and movies already stored on my old Apple TV. What does running down the battery of my iPad serve. I might as well use a cable, then I wouldn't be limited to HDMI.

4. It will be a cold day in hell before I buy any HP product. Even though I print quite a bit, I'm not going to buy a new printer either.

On the plus side, unified mailbox and folders. Whoopie. Downside, the iWork updates won't install on 3.2.

At least it wasn't as bad as the iPhone 3G update. No new features, not even find in safari. Either the same or slower than 4.1. It broke the sorting of tv shows in the iPod app. All shows now get grouped under 'unknown'.

Until all your apps stop working. Eventually you have to move on. I know there are still people using Windows 2000 (insane) but eventually you realize you are doing 10x the work to get at the same result by just having your software up to date.

hookbill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i like it as a whole. i am miffed that air play and print are not what they said it was going to be. Was under the impression that as long as you had a wireless printer you can print. and air play could stream music from itunes to the ipad... hell my android phone can do it easily.

With the app ZumoCast you can stream iTunes to your iPad. I didn't see anybody mention that to you.

hookbill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I like the upgrade. I really didn't like not being able to multitask. Those of you who say it isn't "real" multitasking I don't know what you're looking for. It took me a bit to understand how exactly it works but after watching a video on it I got it. Then again I've never had an upgrade on anything that I didn't like. Maybe I'm just too easy to please.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
With the app ZumoCast you can stream iTunes to your iPad. I didn't see anybody mention that to you.
And more than just what is in iTunes... you can stream just about anything on your computer. And it transcodes media on-the-fly so it will play about anything. I routinely stream video that would never play on the iPad natively.

Some of the stuff I have streamed I couldn't even play on the computer it was stored on... in that case it was a real media file (never liked real media).

Andy Loba

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just installed 4.2 yesterday. There are some improvements but since that installed, I can no longer transfer photos from my SD card using the camera connection kit adapter ... also I get no more warning when the battery gets to 20% as before, when it was down to 14% I decided to recharge. Consequently from now on, I will have to watch myself the battery % to recharge the battery.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score

It is very useful to lock orientation on an iPhone or Touch for the same reason as the iPad. But like it or not the switch ain't coming back. Apple is firm on this. Jobs said it himself. He even said it won't be user configurable.

Be happy on the iPad the soft switch locks it in either orientation. On the iPhone it only does vertical, not landscape--at least on 4.1. Talk about insulting. And heck, before 4.x we didn't even have any way to lock orientation even though it was asked about all the time. Fortunately a jailbreak app can do it--and in both orientations.

No doubt an app will come out to change the mute switch on iPad to orientation lock.

I mostly agree on AirPlay. However, if you have a camera kit and have new photos on your iPad that you downloaded it is nice to throw them to a TV without wires.

And as far as streaming from the iPad to ATV I don't have much use for it, with a caveat. My iPad is only a subset of what is on my iTunes PC and my ATV can ALREADY play anything in my iTunes on that PC. That said the pics and video I did test streamed fine... no delays or anything.

However, what I would LIKE to use it for are with apps. Let's say you have a board game for iPad. Would be nice to throw that on the ATV for easier viewing. Or for apps where there is nothing on ATV that is equivalent. Alas about the only things I found I could stream video to the ATV were redundant: I already have YouTube on ATV yet I can stream it from the iPad now? Uh, yay. Why not, say, the PBS app? I do hope that this is only a matter of time. I hate cables.

Michael

Irish Rose

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The only thing that I really dislike about the new iOS so far, is changing the orientation lock switch to a mute switch, which doesn't work at all anyway. Everything else is fine, and I'm loving the folders.

Most reactions

Latest posts