What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad2 6.1.2 w Evasion to iOS 7.1.2 gotchas?

snowbound

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I currently have an iPad2 64 GB w 6.1.2 w Evasion jailbreak on it. Since iOS 8 may be release in the upcoming months at which time Apple will probably stop signing iOS 7.1.2 I am thinking of going to iOS 7.1.2 and possibly jailbreaking it with Pangu. Since there is no way of returning to 6.1.2 and more and more apps are requiring 7.x are there any gotchas first running 7.1.2 on the iPad2?

I will back up the iPad via iTunes along with the Cydia apps via OpenBackup

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I currently have an iPad2 64 GB w 6.1.2 w Evasion jailbreak on it. Since iOS 8 may be release in the upcoming months at which time Apple will probably stop signing iOS 7.1.2 I am thinking of going to iOS 7.1.2 and possibly jailbreaking it with Pangu. Since there is no way of returning to 6.1.2 and more and more apps are requiring 7.x are there any gotchas first running 7.1.2 on the iPad2?

I will back up the iPad via iTunes along with the Cydia apps via OpenBackup

I don't really know of any gotchas - except to maybe ensure the tweaks you want actually work on iOS 7.1.1. Not all do, which is why I'm still on iOS 7.0.6 (would miss my 1Password ProWidget too much).

In addition, I read that more tweaks work on iOS 7.1.1 than 7.1.2. And, Apple is still signing that iOS. So, maybe look into that version instead?

But, if all the tweaks you want work on the newer iOS, I see no reason not to upgrade.

Marilyn

OP
S

snowbound

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh so Apple is still signing 7.1.1 so maybe go that route then. With me being so far back at 6.1.2 I don't want to wait too long to go to 7.x since that upgrade path will be shut down once iOS 8 is released and they stop signing 7.x. The main reason I want to upgrade is the frustration with some Apps requiring iOS 7 to run on and not having an older version for 6.x

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Oh so Apple is still signing 7.1.1 so maybe go that route then. With me being so far back at 6.1.2 I don't want to wait too long to go to 7.x since that upgrade path will be shut down once iOS 8 is released and they stop signing 7.x. The main reason I want to upgrade is the frustration with some Apps requiring iOS 7 to run on and not having an older version for 6.x

The maturity of the 7.1.X jailbreak is at the point where it's feasible to upgrade to. If you were to ask when Pangu first came out, then no it wouldn't have been worth the upgrade because of lack of tweak compatibility (if that matters). As Marilyn stated 2 posts up, since 7.1.1 is still being signed, you can upgrade to it 7.1.1 rather than 7.1.2 to have greater tweak compatibility. If you want the email encryption that came with 7.1.2, you can install an independent tweak by Ryan Petrich to cover that base.

Most reactions

Latest posts