What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Restoring to 7.1.2 (3194 error)

WisherBG

iPF Noob
Reaction score
HI Guys,

I am trying to restore my iPad 2 to iOS 7.1.2
It is currently running iOS 5.1.1
I have downloaded the IPSW.
I have updated iTunes to the latest version 12.0.1.28 on Windows 7.
When I try to restore (Click restore+Shift), select the IPSW which I want (the 7.1.2 one) it goes into restoring and then brings up an error 3194.
I have made sure Windows Firewall is off, also made sure my hosts file is not tampered (i.e. no aliases exist for any apple domains).
Also made sure there is not other software which uses the 80, 1080, 8080 or 443 ports on the machine.
I have also tried the method where I save all shsh blobs with TinyUmbrella and try the update while the TU TSS Server is running, which has lead to error iTunes showing error 11 (seems pretty much the same as error 3194).

I understand there may be a case that Apple are no longer signing 7.1.2 even if the ipsw is legitimate, so what are my options here?
I don't want to go to 8.x since as far as I know the iPad2 suffers a lot from that update in terms of speed.

If you need more information to help me troubleshoot, I will gladly provide.

Thank you,
Wisher

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, you can only install iOS 8.1.2 onto that iPad. Apple has closed the signing window for iOS 7 long ago and you can no longer install it.

So, your only recourse is to stay where you are (not recommend cause that iOS 5.1.1 is old) or upgrade to iOS 8.1.2.

Yes, the iPad 2 slows a bit on iOS 8. But, to me, the bennies of being on a more current iOS (with it's access to newer app version and more Apple features) outweigh falling behind by staying on a 2-generation old iOS version.

Just my $.02 (USD).

Marilyn

cruiser111

iPF Novice
Reaction score
"Just my $.02 (USD)."
Nah, that was at least worth $.04 (USD), Marilyn.

Most reactions