What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do you see Apple killing Android forever ?

NoNoBadDog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not a chance! Android is in many respects superior to iOS. I am on my third Android phone, and will never look back. Much faster than my iPhone, much better screen, and a better selection of apps. Add to that the fact that I can tailor it to my liking, and a better interface, and I actually consider Android the better choice. One exception: the new iPad. It is better than any current Android tablet on the market.

Sent from my iPad 3rd Gen using ipf

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You are daydreaming if you think android has better apps than iOS. And frankly, nothing I do on my iPhone could be any faster other than having 4g rather than 3G, but that is net speed, not phone. Finally, the droid have grown too fat, that why I chose not to get one even if I had to give up unlimited 4g.

NoNoBadDog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You are daydreaming if you think android has better apps than iOS. And frankly, nothing I do on my iPhone could be any faster other than having 4g rather than 3G, but that is net speed, not phone. Finally, the droid have grown too fat, that why I chose not to get one even if I had to give up unlimited 4g.

Not dreaming at all...all based on personal experience. There are better apps on the Android market because they do not have to meet the approval of an authority like apple apps do. They update more regularly, and mre functional, and more robust. (swype, handcent, tohers come to mind, but there are truly many).

And yes, I meant the processor and the phoe is faster (not comparing 3G, 4G, etc, but just opening apps, etc.

While I was once like you and thought iOS was superior, that ship has sailed.

I have no concept of what you mean by "the droid has grown too fat". I have the Bionic, and it is thinner than the iPhone (although not now that I have the extended battery).

That brings up another point...I can add storage via 32GB micro-sd on my phone, as well as replace or upgrade the battery. Try that with your iPhone.

My iPhone days are over. I have seen myself that there is better hardware and better apps in the android world.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Not dreaming at all...all based on personal experience. There are better apps on the Android market because they do not have to meet the approval of an authority like apple apps do. They update more regularly, and mre functional, and more robust. (swype, handcent, tohers come to mind, but there are truly many).

And yes, I meant the processor and the phoe is faster (not comparing 3G, 4G, etc, but just opening apps, etc.

While I was once like you and thought iOS was superior, that ship has sailed.

I have no concept of what you mean by "the droid has grown too fat". I have the Bionic, and it is thinner than the iPhone (although not now that I have the extended battery).

That brings up another point...I can add storage via 32GB micro-sd on my phone, as well as replace or upgrade the battery. Try that with your iPhone.

My iPhone days are over. I have seen myself that there is better hardware and better apps in the android world.

Dude...you are indeed dreaming...if you think those few things you mention are decent apps...most serve to improve functionality already on the phone...which points out some inferiority in the OS, if you ask me....I have tons of Android apps and I don't see them as being better at all...and they certainly aren't more fun. And just because they don't have to meet some authority doesn't make them better.

And so what if you can add 32GB to your phone...I just bought a 64GB model. That's plenty. And I don't need to swap the battery...the phone will be gone before I need to do that..and if I decide I need more battery, I can just add a battery case. Plenty of third-party stuff for the iphone. I bet you can only find one or two for your phone. And all the best android phones are huge and you know it. Your phone is old by phone standards.

paulvalerio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
Dude...you are indeed dreaming...if you think those few things you mention are decent apps...most serve to improve functionality already on the phone...which points out some inferiority in the OS, if you ask me....I have tons of Android apps and I don't see them as being better at all...and they certainly aren't more fun. And just because they don't have to meet some authority doesn't make them better.

And so what if you can add 32GB to your phone...I just bought a 64GB model. That's plenty. And I don't need to swap the battery...the phone will be gone before I need to do that..and if I decide I need more battery, I can just add a battery case. Plenty of third-party stuff for the iphone. I bet you can only find one or two for your phone. And all the best android phones are huge and you know it. Your phone is old by phone standards.

Apple's inability to tailor your experience to your device is one hit, iTunes may have awesome apps, but I am restricted to using it for everything! Trend with Apple to limit user's ability to get bargains? Let's not forget they just settled a lawsuit for price setting e-books. Android has its own market, but also has other android app markets, amazon, Samsung's media hub, etc. The ability to add more memory via micro sd cards will always give Android an edge over Apple, I don't care if they carry a 64gb model, you can't add more! I don't care about the .6 mm difference the iPhone 4s has on my Galaxy Note's depth, I care that my note has a screen that 1.8 INCHES bigger. Apple makes amazing tablets, but they will never kill Android just because of the phone market and Apple's unwillingness to listen to their customers and make changes they want, Steve Jobs was wrong when he stated people don't know what they want, Apple just ignores it.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
One doesn't need iTunes to get apps, they come from the app store. I'm sure google is not happy about amazon selling apps, but there is no problem getting apps from one place....droid users did so to up until recently.

You can keep your fat phone, I don't need it. I made a decision not to buy one. There is no advantage to having such a huge phone.

I see no advantage to getting a phone with 16 GB internal and then being forced to turn right around an buy and plug in an SD card, which of course is treated as different storage than the main memory inside the device. That just makes the entire experience more complicated and time consuming to manage. You may think you are better off fiddling around with such nonsense, but that doesn't work for me anymore. I know I want a lot of memory so I just get want I need and not have to worry if I end up with a slow SD card.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's come down to arguing about preferences, so there is no "better" or "best," except for individuals. That's exactly why having competition and choices is great for consumers.

I still have my iPhone 4S 64GB and liked it a lot, but the Samsung Galaxy Note is a better choice for me now.

The best thing is, smart phones have reached a level where either iOS or Android have phones that work well for me, and I expect the same thing to happen with tablets as Android tablets mature as well.

iluvmyipad

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
It's come down to arguing about preferences, so there is no "better" or "best," except for individuals. That's exactly why having competition and choices is great for consumers.

I still have my iPhone 4S 64GB and liked it a lot, but the Samsung Galaxy Note is a better choice for me now.

The best thing is, smart phones have reached a level where either iOS or Android have phones that work well for me, and I expect the same thing to happen with tablets as Android tablets mature as well.

How do you like the galaxy note? Very cool phone I thought about getting one.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score

I would not mind having a Note...but not has a phone. I still use my Droid Incredible...it can beam video to my tablet...something the size of a Note would be very useful for those applications and for other things I do in the house. I like the idea of a tablet in every room...and I think something the size of the Note would be perfect! Maybe I will pick up one of the Galaxy Players that are to be hitting the street soon. I have too many apps to not use Android.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How do you like the galaxy note? Very cool phone I thought about getting one.

Love it. Great screen, and I like being able to swap out battery and SD card, and like the ease of loading content. 4G is a battery vampire, and the battery must support the big screen, so I ordered a spare battery.

I switched after using three iPhones in a row, so the first week I kept defaulting to trying to do some things the iPhone way, but no more.

I don't read instructions unless I need to, and I was able to figure out everything up to the same point without instructions, as with iPhone. When it got to loading music and movies, it was easier than with iPhone. (iDevices work best with iTunes music and movies, because the loading is more streamlined. But I don't buy music and movies from iTunes.)

Even with 64GBs on iPad 1 and 2, iPhone 4S and iPod touch 4, I find storage limiting. I don't like having to hook up to PC to swap content. I find it more convenient to load a bunch of SD cards at once and just swap them. I can also have my husband load cards without my device being hooked up. A few days ago, he ripped several new movies off DVD and put them on a card for me, and just handed me the card before I left for the airport. (I wish the Note took an even bigger SD card. I have three 32GB ones now, plus the onboard storage.)

Unless I'm forced to, I don't want to go back to a smaller phone. I hope manufacturers keep making 5" screens.

Last edited:

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would not mind having a Note...but not has a phone. I still use my Droid Incredible...it can beam video to my tablet...something the size of a Note would be very useful for those applications and for other things I do in the house. I like the idea of a tablet in every room...and I think something the size of the Note would be perfect! Maybe I will pick up one of the Galaxy Players that are to be hitting the street soon. I have too many apps to not use Android.

I think 5" screens would be useful in lots of cases, for various people, even if they don't use them as phones. It would be great if more manufacturers made them, and if prices would fall. Of course, we still need quality on the software and firmware side. For most users, stuff needs to work out of the box.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think 5" screens would be useful in lots of cases, for various people, even if they don't use them as phones. It would be great if more manufacturers made them, and if prices would fall. Of course, we still need quality on the software and firmware side. For most users, stuff needs to work out of the box.

How similar is this to your Note:

Amazon.com: Samsung Galaxy 5.0 Android MP3 Player: Electronics

I don't like that the max storage is only 40GB, though, but I could live with this. I would basically replace my Droid Incredible with this. Trying to see if it has a GPS chip...most Droid tablets do. Wondering if it has BT, too.

Edit: it has both GPS and BT3.0. Cool. Everything except the phone and ICS.

Last edited:

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How similar is this to your Note:

Amazon.com: Samsung Galaxy 5.0 Android MP3 Player: Electronics

I don't like that the max storage is only 40GB, though, but I could live with this. I would basically replace my Droid Incredible with this. Trying to see if it has a GPS chip...most Droid tablets do. Wondering if it has BT, too.

Edit: it has both GPS and BT3.0. Cool. Everything except the phone and ICS.

I remember reading awhile back that Samsung was going to introduce this, and I wondered how it would do against iPod touch. The price point is good, and I like that no iTunes is required. MP3 players as a category have dropped off in sales, though.

I have so many devices now that I can't even cook up a reason to add another, lol, or I'd try one of these, too. It's become challenging to even keep all my devices charged up, because I have to keep track of all of them. (A first world prob, of course.)

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I remember reading awhile back that Samsung was going to introduce this, and I wondered how it would do against iPod touch. The price point is good, and I like that no iTunes is required. MP3 players as a category have dropped off in sales, though.

I have so many devices now that I can't even cook up a reason to add another, lol, or I'd try one of these, too. It's become challenging to even keep all my devices charged up, because I have to keep track of all of them. (A first world prob, of course.)

Apparently they have several models. I'm just wondering how similar it is to the Note, though. i've seen a guy who does video pod cast say quite a bit about the Note...he has fat fingers and that is on reason he likes it.

I would not buy this as an MP3 player. Phone has that covered. It would be a handy living room tablet and I could use it has a remote, among several other things. Sometimes I like to take pictures ot the hardware store, and this would be better than taking my iPad or Iconia. The larger screen makes it easier to show stuff to the folks who know what's what and where, which I what I most often need help with at lowes or home depot.

I don't know why they didn't offer more internal memory, though. That seems like a big issue to me. Or offer the ability to use an SDXC card, too. Either come big or stay home.

I'm surprised this is marketed as an MP3 player, though. IMO, that is a huge mistake. That means only people "in the know" will bother with learning about it. Just ought to just call it a phablet, as Leo Laporte does on that podcast he does.

I wonder if I should wait on a higher resolution screen, too. I think it is only a matter of time before that tech starts showing up in these devices. The touch still has much higher resolution, so reading text is not going to be as easy to do. I probably won't read a lot on it, though.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apparently they have several models. I'm just wondering how similar it is to the Note, though. i've seen a guy who does video pod cast say quite a bit about the Note...he has fat fingers and that is on reason he likes it.

I would not buy this as an MP3 player. Phone has that covered. It would be a handy living room tablet and I could use it has a remote, among several other things. Sometimes I like to take pictures ot the hardware store, and this would be better than taking my iPad or Iconia. The larger screen makes it easier to show stuff to the folks who know what's what and where, which I what I most often need help with at lowes or home depot.

I don't know why they didn't offer more internal memory, though. That seems like a big issue to me. Or offer the ability to use an SDXC card, too. Either come big or stay home.

I'm surprised this is marketed as an MP3 player, though. IMO, that is a huge mistake. That means only people "in the know" will bother with learning about it. Just ought to just call it a phablet, as Leo Laporte does on that podcast he does.

I wonder if I should wait on a higher resolution screen, too. I think it is only a matter of time before that tech starts showing up in these devices. The touch still has much higher resolution, so reading text is not going to be as easy to do. I probably won't read a lot on it, though.

Sounds like you have a need and the price is hard to beat. I'd just get it and return if it didn't work well enough.

I wondered whether the limited storage was just to keep down the price point.

I read fine on my iPhone 3G screen and it's crap compared to my other devices now, lol.

Most reactions

Latest posts