What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do you see Apple killing Android forever ?

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What I find amusing is that so many people think that just adding an SD card is going to allow them to buy a 32Gb SSD iPad and make it function like a 32Gb SSD. Not true. There is a substantial difference in how an SSD and a SD card treats data.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What I find amusing is that so many people think that just adding an SD card is going to allow them to buy a 32Gb SSD iPad and make it function like a 32Gb SSD. Not true. There is a substantial difference in how an SSD and a SD card treats data.

My movies are on SD card and I hit play and the movies play. That's my only interest in how they work, lol.

bassman99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'd watch the Oracle/Google battle: Oracle, Google Trial: Goliath Vs. Goliath - Development - Open Source - Informationweek

Some would say that Google "pulled a fast one" with Dalvik as a way to get around Java API intellectual property issues; the courts will now decide.

Personally, I can't stand Java-based apps (or the Dalvik equivalent), so I went with Apple, but really don't like the way Apple "locks you in" (e.g. no SD card!?).

Too bad the iPad apps (and Android apps) have functionality limited to what we saw about 15 years ago with PCs. Still, I thought I'd give a tablet a try, and see how to survive in the "cloud-computing future" (<cringe>). Oh well, it still does a good job with web-browsing & email!

Last edited:

andrzejls

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My movies are on SD card and I hit play and the movies play. That's my only interest in how they work, lol.
You nailed. The key is, you cannot add micro sd card to iPad tablet and you can to Prime. All I am interested is:if I hit "play" does it "play" or not. kaykaykay, good post.

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have iPad 1 and Galaxy Tab 7.7 so I am in a good position to compare.

Galaxy pros:-
Smaller lighter and more portable. The iPad feels bulky and heavy when I go back to it.
Open file system.
Micro SD card.
USB connectvity. Copy files to/from USB stick.
GPS on WiFi only device.
No iTunes.

iPad pros:-
There times when a lager screen is necessary (e.g. when using SplahTop).
I feel a bit safer usng the iPad secure transactions, probably not justified.
While the Galaxy display is quite good, the iPad display is somehow better (even iPad 1).

Sent from my GT-P6810 using Tapatalk 2

fsogamer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
Yeah, I can understand that...and it is a shame when ICS is a perfectly fine OS for a tablet.

Ya, i have a iPad 3 and a acer tegra 7 inch... I was stuck at android 3.2 forever but it was more tablet friendly than 2.3. Then when ics came out i felt like i was gonna need to move on to a new tablet to have my droid and my iOS fix... But, i found that with a little searching and reading that i was able to install ics on my acer and it felt like it was finally useful again... Apple may have updates and fixes available across the board but if you look almost all android phones and tablets can be upgraded manually without rooting... And its easier than you think... Plus on top of the card slots, usb ports, and other hook up options offered on even the cheap models most always come with a hdmi port for wired mirroring... What did we really get with our iPad 3's really? A new display that requires bigger games? And some changes that really don't set it apart from the competition in true reality... Macs have everything a windows pc has because thats what mac users want right? Well shouldn't apple do the same with the iPhones and iPads? I just don't really understand... iPad is the best there is in quality for what we spend but when cheap items outdo the expensive ones it makes you think for a minute... Would you buy a car with no a/c for more money than one with a/c?

Edited by Moderator - email address, etc removed

Last edited by a moderator:

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The first step for Apple to kill off Android forever? Get rid ofxxxxxxxx Itunes. World domination might be soon to follow.

Be carefully what you imply as you may be the one that is banned not iTunes.... Show respect please. ... Administrator

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Then again, the Ipad doesn't have a SSD either. It has a flash drive just like my iPhone does. That is still loads better than an add-on SD card performance-wise but it still isn't a SSD.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Then again, the Ipad doesn't have a SSD either. It has a flash drive just like my iPhone does. That is still loads better than an add-on SD card performance-wise but it still isn't a SSD.

You need to learn what an SSD is. A SSD is a series of NAND flash memory units on a board. While it is the same technology as the SD card flash, it is a totally different animal. The SSD is specifically designed for use in a computer system. It is up to 100 times faster acting than a SD card. CF cards are several times faster than SD cards. SD cards are designed for use in portable devices like cameras. They are not as robust as a SSD, and are more likely to get corrupted. A SSD also has a controller which allocates how the memory stores information and protects the memory.

fsogamer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree. iTunes only gets more complicated with each release and to have devices that are dedicated to it is like saying that you cant run windows unless your online 24/7... At least when you break the iOS and open up the system you get a more independent platform that you can work with, but you do loose some security and open yourself up to bugs... Thus begins the windows experience... I will never forget when i got the first iPhone and broke it.... I ended up with a virus.... A virus on a iOS device? I bet ol' bill gates loves it when we do that and basically turn our great apple product into a open system like windows... But, i will still have open way before i have it closed... I just understand what i need to look out for...

Edited by Moderator - email address, etc removed

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
To me, the problem with iTunes is that it has long since outgrown the original intent, DRM for music.

Yesterday, I needed to get some files onto my Galaxy Tab. DropBox wasn't working so I did something really radical, plugged a USB stick into my tab and copied the files over.

I really don't understand why this shouldn't be posible on iPad without JB?

Last edited:

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Seadog said:
You need to learn what an SSD is. A SSD is a series of NAND flash memory units on a board. While it is the same technology as the SD card flash, it is a totally different animal. The SSD is specifically designed for use in a computer system. It is up to 100 times faster acting than a SD card. CF cards are several times faster than SD cards. SD cards are designed for use in portable devices like cameras. They are not as robust as a SSD, and are more likely to get corrupted. A SSD also has a controller which allocates how the memory stores information and protects the memory.

I fully understand what a SSD is and I also understand that calling the flash memory system used in the iPad a SSD is a stretch at best. A SSD is simply a solid state replacement for a hard drive and it uses an interface compatible with traditional hard disks (SATA in most modern implementations). Using NAND is not a requirement for a SSD nor does it result in the fastest SSD available. Doesn't really matter I suppose, just a pet peeve of mine I guess. My washing machine has flash memory also but I don't go around saying it is sporting a SSD.

Last edited:

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To me, the problem with iTunes is that it has long since outgrown the original intent, DRM for music.

Yesterday, I needed to get some files onto my Galaxy Tab. DropBox wasn't working so I did something really radical, plugged a USB stick into my tab and copied the files over.

I really don't understand why this shouldn't be posible on iPad without JB?

What generation is your Galaxy Tab? What drawbacks do you find with it?

I'm considering buying a Samsung tab, and my uses would be vanilla -- what most non-tech users do with tabs (surfing, books, audiobooks, movies, music and photos). Easily adding Word/Office docs would be another plus. I would need 3G/4G.

Last edited:

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A SSD is simply a solid state replacement for a hard drive and it uses an interface compatible with traditional hard disks (SATA in most modern implementations). Using NAND is not a requirement for a SSD nor does it result in the fastest SSD available.

Right now, all SSDs use NAND flash. Older models used RAM, but since 2010, all are NAND. The SSDs in the iPad meet all of the requirements of a SSD. It has the controller, capacitor, and all other components required to be called SSD. The only difference from other SSDs is that it is not user-replaceable. To keep it super compact, the storage is combined with the processor on one board. A generic SSD is manufactured in 2.5" HDD form factor to make it easier to replace in a production model computer, but the iPad is technically not a PC. You could make the argument that the interface is PCI-e since a variant of that is used on the combination board the iPad uses. I have difficulty understanding why you are so peeved about the concept of a non-HDD form factor SSD. I have often wondered about the potential of using RAM module form factors in future computers to add NAND memory. Instead of two HDD bays, have room where you could have 32Gb SSD as in a hybrid drive from the factory, but with replaceable memory.

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Actually there are RAM form factor SSDs already available, just not widely in the consumer market. Form factor is meaningless, but generally when talking about actual SSDs the device has an interface to make it work with existing hard drive ready systems. Perhaps that exists in the ipad already albeit in a much reduced and lower performance form and I am mistaken. Anyhow this would make for an interesting topic into itself but is probably straying far from the path of the original topic.

Most reactions