What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do you see Apple killing Android forever ?

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apparently they have several models. I'm just wondering how similar it is to the Note, though. i've seen a guy who does video pod cast say quite a bit about the Note...he has fat fingers and that is on reason he likes it.

I would not buy this as an MP3 player. Phone has that covered. It would be a handy living room tablet and I could use it has a remote, among several other things. Sometimes I like to take pictures ot the hardware store, and this would be better than taking my iPad or Iconia. The larger screen makes it easier to show stuff to the folks who know what's what and where, which I what I most often need help with at lowes or home depot.

I don't know why they didn't offer more internal memory, though. That seems like a big issue to me. Or offer the ability to use an SDXC card, too. Either come big or stay home.

I'm surprised this is marketed as an MP3 player, though. IMO, that is a huge mistake. That means only people "in the know" will bother with learning about it. Just ought to just call it a phablet, as Leo Laporte does on that podcast he does.

I wonder if I should wait on a higher resolution screen, too. I think it is only a matter of time before that tech starts showing up in these devices. The touch still has much higher resolution, so reading text is not going to be as easy to do. I probably won't read a lot on it, though.

By the way, is Leo Laporte actually calling this a phablet even though it's not a phone? A phablet is supposed to be a phone-tablet.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
By the way, is Leo Laporte actually calling this a phablet even though it's not a phone? A phablet is supposed to be a phone-tablet.

No, he is calling the Note a phablet. I used the term incorrectly above referring to the Galaxy player. Leo is a big Note fan.

skallal

iPF Novice
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
No, he is calling the Note a phablet. I used the term incorrectly above referring to the Galaxy player. Leo is a big Note fan.

I try to listen to Leo as often as I can. Not long before the Note became his favorite, it was the iPhone 4S. He recently put Liquipel on his 4S and dropped it in water to see if Liquipel works. The phone went dead and he was going to put it in rice to dry it up. I never his follow up on the phone's fate!

I like and his advice a lot, but I don't know how serious to take him when he shifts to different phones.

That said, I've been agonizing over what smart phone to get next. I've had a 3GS for over two years now and debating between the Note and the 4S. Right now the Note is winning.

geobernd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For me both server different needs and customer focus.
Let me preface my reply by saying I enjoy both iOS and Android and have no bias against either.... I have use cases for both and they both have a firm place in my daily connectivity:
iOS on the iPad 3 (formerly iPad 1) is great. Consistent user experience - fast OS, no crashes - great battery life etc.... Also great for people who are afraid of computers or simply not very comfortable with them. I gave iPads as gifts to various family members that have a challenge using a PC and they are all extremly happy with it.
On the other hand I could not see using an iOS phone: I need true multitasking and background processing on my phone - additionally the notification pulldown in iOS is still crap compared to Android - so for something used more interactively (calls, messages, status updates) I find the Android implementation vastly superior.... On the multitasking front I need to get all my messages, updates etc... in the background so when I am in the subway during my commute I have everything (e.g. GOOD for Enterprise, Readability updates etc..) to read.... If I was in an environment where I had a good signal close to 100% of the time this might be more of a moot point - but in reality in the NYC area background data syncs are a must.....
Just my 5 cents - I hope both will survive and thrive - they both fit my communication needs well and I enjoy both platforms...

NoNoBadDog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dude...you are indeed dreaming...if you think those few things you mention are decent apps...most serve to improve functionality already on the phone...which points out some inferiority in the OS, if you ask me....I have tons of Android apps and I don't see them as being better at all...and they certainly aren't more fun. And just because they don't have to meet some authority doesn't make them better.

And so what if you can add 32GB to your phone...I just bought a 64GB model. That's plenty. And I don't need to swap the battery...the phone will be gone before I need to do that..and if I decide I need more battery, I can just add a battery case. Plenty of third-party stuff for the iphone. I bet you can only find one or two for your phone. And all the best android phones are huge and you know it. Your phone is old by phone standards.

Clearly, you are incapable of seeing or understanding anything other than Apple. I feel sympathy for you about that.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I try to listen to Leo as often as I can. Not long before the Note became his favorite, it was the iPhone 4S. He recently put Liquipel on his 4S and dropped it in water to see if Liquipel works. The phone went dead and he was going to put it in rice to dry it up. I never his follow up on the phone's fate!

I like and his advice a lot, but I don't know how serious to take him when he shifts to different phones.

That said, I've been agonizing over what smart phone to get next. I've had a 3GS for over two years now and debating between the Note and the 4S. Right now the Note is winning.

I saw his follow up. He got the phone replaced at the Apple store. The guy known as Soldier Knows Best also dunked his 4S...but his lived through the process, at least until the end of the podcast! :)

I think Leo is straight up. He owns multiple phones and tablets because he considers it his job to be in the know on tech (he bills himself on his weekend podcasts as "The Tech Guy") so what he is doing makes total sense to me. He explained why he likes the Note and I have zero problems with this reasoning. While I am a big guy, I don't have fat fingers. I have large hands, though, but I still don't like a large phone. I've been playing clarinet since 12yro and I am a touch typist. Leo has the short, fat stubby fingers (paraphase of his words, more or less). He claims he can see the Note's screen better. So, the Note seems to make total sense, for him. And for others, too. I carry my phone in my pocket and I'm picky about how it fits in my hand, so for something I'm going to carry around, I'd rather have the traditional candy bar design.

If you think you like the Note, go for it! The Note wasn't even a choice for me. My choice was between the Razr Maxx, Nexus, and 4S. Both Droids are really nice 4G phones, but simply too large. And I was pissed with my most recent experience with my Android phone...a bug in the OS, due to HTC, wasted a whole lot of my time after causing me months of grief. I had to run for cover, as I actually do have a JOB! :)

Tech is supposed to be fun, not a third-party induced time waster. :)

Last edited:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Clearly, you are incapable of seeing or understanding anything other than Apple. I feel sympathy for you about that.

I could say the same thing about you, regarding Android.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I saw his follow up. He got the phone replaced at the Apple store. The guy known as Soldier Knows Best also dunked his 4S...but his lived through the process, at least until the end of the podcast! :)

I think Leo is straight up. He owns multiple phones and tablets because he considers it his job to be in the know on tech (he himself on his weekend podcasts as "The Tech Guy") so what he is doing makes total sense to me. He explained why he likes the Note and I have zero problems with this reasoning. While I am a big guy, I don't have fat fingers. I have large hands, though, but I still don't like a large phone. I've been playing clarinet since 12 and I am a touch typist. Leo has the short, fat stubby fingers (paraphase of his words, more or less). He claims he can see the Note's screen better. So, the Note seems to make total sense, for him. And for others, too. I carry my phone in my pocket and I'm picky about how it fits in my hand, so for something I'm going to carry around, I'd rather have the traditional candy bar design.

If you think you like the Note, go for it! The Note wasn't even a choice for me. My choice was between the Razr Maxx, Nexus, and 4S. Both Droids are really nice 4G phones, but simply too large. And I was pissed with my most recent experience with my Android phone...a bug in the OS, due to HTC, wasted a whole lot of my time after causing me months of grief. I had to run for cover, as I actually do have a JOB! :)

Tech is supposed to be fun, not a third-party induced time waster. :)

Soldier Knows Best is cool; I've seen him run over stuff, bang on it with a hammer, etc., though not heard him on Laporte. (I'm impatient, lol, so I prefer to read tech blogs and skip among items that catch my interest.)

I have small hands (petite Asian woman here), and the Note is a perfect size for me, but not for one-hand use, of course. I've been able to fit the Note into all my slacks pockets, surprisingly, except those with those pretend pockets that only hold lint and change, lol. It also fits in all but a couple of my purses (the evening bags that basically hold lipstick and a compact).

Totally agree on tech fun rather than tech work. If I can't get something to work out of the box, I return it. It's not like I couldn't probably figure it out, but I don't spend money so I can be inconvenienced.

Last edited:

paulvalerio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
One doesn't need iTunes to get apps, they come from the app store. I'm sure google is not happy about amazon selling apps, but there is no problem getting apps from one place....droid users did so to up until recently.

You can keep your fat phone, I don't need it. I made a decision not to buy one. There is no advantage to having such a huge phone.

I see no advantage to getting a phone with 16 GB internal and then being forced to turn right around an buy and plug in an SD card, which of course is treated as different storage than the main memory inside the device. That just makes the entire experience more complicated and time consuming to manage. You may think you are better off fiddling around with such nonsense, but that doesn't work for me anymore. I know I want a lot of memory so I just get want I need and not have to worry if I end up with a slow SD card.

My phone isn't fat, it's beefy. I'm sorry if being a man with large hands makes me prefer a larger phone compared to a squinting to appreciate a retina display.
I don't enjoy slowing down my device by putting so much memory on my actual phone, I love the ability to store apps on micro sd cards, move the card to another phone, laptop, etc. or carry movies on a card when I take a trip. The sad fact is Apple uses the technique of not allowing upgradeable hardware to make more $. Micro sd cards are not slowed down unless you buy the cheap versions that aren't made for what your using them for.
You can keep your petite phone, I prefer my big boy toy.

Photo is a good natured joke!

image-3311106893.jpg

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Exactly how are we defining "fat" in terms of phones? My iPhone 4S is an absolute brick compared to most Android phones out there but it does have a smaller screen than many at the same time. One nice thing about Android (being said as a 4S owner) is the versatility in devices available. If you want a small light phone you can get it. If you want a huge screen you can get it. If you want a slide out keyboard (something my next phone WILL have) you can get that too.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Exactly how are we defining "fat" in terms of phones? My iPhone 4S is an absolute brick compared to most Android phones out there but it does have a smaller screen than many at the same time. One nice thing about Android (being said as a 4S owner) is the versatility in devices available. If you want a small light phone you can get it. If you want a huge screen you can get it. If you want a slide out keyboard (something my next phone WILL have) you can get that too.

Agreed on choice being key.

It doesn't really matter what "fat" means to one person vs. another. It's subjective, and the only person whose opinion really matters is the one buying the device. And even with things that someone might consider a drawback on a device, that person might be willing to make a tradeoff because the device offers other features he wants.

Even if we had a grading scale for every device, with each feature broken down, each of us will have different uses, preferences, circumstances, carriers, etc., and we all weigh features differently.

NoNoBadDog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
I could say the same thing about you, regarding Android.

You must have missed the part about me loving my iPad. There isn't anything in the tablet arena that beats the iPad. Conversely, there re many Android phones that are much better, faster, thinner, faster, lighter than the iPhone. So I am not dedicated to either exclusively; just open minded enough to know which is better.

have you ever used an android phone?

Sent from my iPad 3rd Gen using ipf

seneca18

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You must have missed the part about me loving my iPad. There isn't anything in the tablet arena that beats the iPad. Conversely, there re many Android phones that are much better, faster, thinner, faster, lighter than the iPhone. So I am not dedicated to either exclusively; just open minded enough to know which is better.

have you ever used an android phone?

Sent from my iPad 3rd Gen using ipf

I have. I still like them and would love to get my hands on ICS for more than a few minutes at best buy but for me the iPhone was a natural switch since I already had an iPad. In my experience with my droids (listed below ) the iPhone is a more enjoyable device. Can't argue the fact that most all app developers make their money from ios and therefore make them available to us first and sometimes exclusively. The fact that I only have to purchase an app once and have it on both devices is also a plus.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have. I still like them and would love to get my hands on ICS for more than a few minutes at best buy but for me the iPhone was a natural switch since I already had an iPad. In my experience with my droids (listed below ) the iPhone is a more enjoyable device. Can't argue the fact that most all app developers make their money from ios and therefore make them available to us first and sometimes exclusively. The fact that I only have to purchase an app once and have it on both devices is also a plus.

There are definitely more iOS apps and I thought I might miss the shared apps more after switching to an Android phone, but that hasn't turned out to be the case for me. YMMV, of course.

The apps I use on my phone tend to be ones like Kindle, Audible, Skype, etc., which are available for free across platforms. When I travel and use more apps, I have at least one of my iPads with me, so I still have my iOS apps, and at home I've got access to all of them, of course.

With Android, I've not looked and been unable to find anything I've wanted yet. (I don't play games, and maybe there are many of those that aren't available on Android, but I just don't miss them.) All the utility apps I want on any phone, I've been able to find for free. And I've discovered some tools -- like the multi-app killer and screen filter -- that I wish iOS had. What I miss from iOS on my Android phone are keyboard shortcuts and the ability to hit the top of the screen and scroll to the top. Maybe there are ways to do those things on Android that I've yet to discover?

nipper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Most people who buy €99 tablets is for the kids , ipads are great but too expensive to give to a 5 year old , as they drop everything at that age ,,drop an ipad and its broken , drop a cheap android and its also broken , but not such a huge loss as its cheap enough to buy another one , i dont see apple still around in 10 years , they are like the sony's of tablets and phones and look at the mess sony is in , only time will tell , as long as johny ive stays they have a good future , as hes the real man behind apple now and in the jobs era

Most reactions