How do you see Apple killing Android forever ?

Discussion in 'iPad 3 Forum' started by pk one, Apr 12, 2012.

1. RAC

RAC iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    To me, the problem with iTunes is that it has long since outgrown the original intent, DRM for music.

Yesterday, I needed to get some files onto my Galaxy Tab. DropBox wasn't working so I did something really radical, plugged a USB stick into my tab and copied the files over.

I really don't understand why this shouldn't be posible on iPad without JB?

Sent from my GT-P6810 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  2. DaveSt

DaveSt iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I fully understand what a SSD is and I also understand that calling the flash memory system used in the iPad a SSD is a stretch at best. A SSD is simply a solid state replacement for a hard drive and it uses an interface compatible with traditional hard disks (SATA in most modern implementations). Using NAND is not a requirement for a SSD nor does it result in the fastest SSD available. Doesn't really matter I suppose, just a pet peeve of mine I guess. My washing machine has flash memory also but I don't go around saying it is sporting a SSD.
  3. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +441 / 0
    What generation is your Galaxy Tab? What drawbacks do you find with it?

I'm considering buying a Samsung tab, and my uses would be vanilla -- what most non-tech users do with tabs (surfing, books, audiobooks, movies, music and photos). Easily adding Word/Office docs would be another plus. I would need 3G/4G.
  4. Seadog

Seadog Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +52 / 0
    Right now, all SSDs use NAND flash. Older models used RAM, but since 2010, all are NAND. The SSDs in the iPad meet all of the requirements of a SSD. It has the controller, capacitor, and all other components required to be called SSD. The only difference from other SSDs is that it is not user-replaceable. To keep it super compact, the storage is combined with the processor on one board. A generic SSD is manufactured in 2.5" HDD form factor to make it easier to replace in a production model computer, but the iPad is technically not a PC. You could make the argument that the interface is PCI-e since a variant of that is used on the combination board the iPad uses. I have difficulty understanding why you are so peeved about the concept of a non-HDD form factor SSD. I have often wondered about the potential of using RAM module form factors in future computers to add NAND memory. Instead of two HDD bays, have room where you could have 32Gb SSD as in a hybrid drive from the factory, but with replaceable memory.
  5. DaveSt

DaveSt iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Actually there are RAM form factor SSDs already available, just not widely in the consumer market. Form factor is meaningless, but generally when talking about actual SSDs the device has an interface to make it work with existing hard drive ready systems. Perhaps that exists in the ipad already albeit in a much reduced and lower performance form and I am mistaken. Anyhow this would make for an interesting topic into itself but is probably straying far from the path of the original topic.
  6. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +441 / 0
    I'm not a techie, but I've owned devices with SSDs and without. I get that there's a performance tradeoff in some uses and that longer-term reliability is a factor (which is why my laptop has an SSD), but the discussion has moved into the weeds.

The point is that with Android's SD flexibility, you can easily add and remove content. Other than price points, there's no reason there couldn't be an Android device sold with 64GB storage (iOS's current max), plus SD card use, versus an iOS device with 64GB and no SD card flexibility. That boils down to Apple's own decisions to limit that sort of flexibility.

There's also wide variation in SD card performance, which is why I try to buy higher-classed SD cards, for better results. That's another price point to consider, of course.
  7. Ipad007

Ipad007 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Android will never die. competition is needed for healthy growth and products to become even better. I am completely satisfied with my transformer prime. everything works great and love the versatility of android. my ipad misses my attention though :( we had some great times but it was time to upgrade though.

p.s. my Prime is lag free. screen transitions are fluid and fast. everything is fast. so imo, prime doesnt fall into lag category like apple fans usually love to say about android.
  8. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +441 / 0
    I read that Prime can accept some 128GB cards, which would be a boon to users who want lots of flex storage.

Prices get steeper with that much storage, but at least it's storage you can use in various devices. When it comes to loading stuff like movies and photos, I don't need them to be on my device's SSD for good performance.
  9. RAC

RAC iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    It's first generation Galaxy Tab 7.7. I like the compactness, light weight and open hardware/software.

The iPad has a better screen but the Galaxy is perfectly adequate and my first choice fir the reasons stated.

10. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +441 / 0
    Thanks. No other drawbacks?
  11. Ipad007

Ipad007 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    this is true. plus the fact that Prime has usb host capabilities takes it even further. people are plugging up 500gb & 1tb external HDD to dock usb port or to adapter(40pin to usb) and they work flawlessly without having to do anything extra. same with other usb devices. extra drivers can be easily added to prime. we even have ethernet support out the box now along with wifi direct.

i do miss messing with garageband and playing infinity blade 2 though. i got tired of being locked into apple and all their expensive add ons. One thing i can say is that my ipad is tuff. it has seen numerous falls and being stepped on and it still works and looks fine. Apple devices are well made.
  12. zphone

zphone iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14 / 0
    Even though it strays I'd like to know where you were able to find performance figures for the iPad drive to compare it to other SSDs? I've been looking but cannot find...
  13. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +441 / 0
    Very cool. That kind of flexibility is what interests me most about Android devices.

I like my iDevices and agree they're well made. And when I dropped and shattered an iPhone 4, they offered me a free replacement, which I doubt any company but Amazon would match, even in isolated cases.

I don't play games, so I wouldn't miss many iOS apps even if I switched entirely away from iDevices.
  14. RAC

RAC iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    You should check out the various screen sizes before you buy. I bought the 7.7" without looking at larger sizes (e.g. 8.9" ). I wouldn't want have chosen anything smaller.

Something that never comes up with is compatibilty of apps. The important apps don't seem to be a problem though.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
  15. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +441 / 0
    What kind of apps have you run into probs with? I've found all the ones I went looking for so far, but I use mainstream apps like Kindle, Audible, Netflix most on mobile devices.

I'd get a full-size Samsung tab more likely than a smaller one, because I have a Kindle Fire and the Galaxy Note.
  16. RAC

RAC iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    No problems with manstream apps. I have had problems with news/magazine apps, The Economist snd The Australian. I had apps for both on the iPad and, while there are equivalent Android apps, they don't work on my Galaxy Tab 7.7. I now access news sites directly. I am not sure why apps were ever necessary for news anyway.

17. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +441 / 0

Thanks. Yes, I read my subscriptions to The Economist, NYT, etc., on their websites, too. Agreed on no need for such apps.
  18. iluvmyipad

iluvmyipad iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    I agree. I have the galaxy 7 plus. I like the size and weight. Very compact. I like having the ability to add files using the sd card. I use it mostly when I am on my ipad and cant pull up something because of the flash issue. Then I just use my tab. I can carry it around in my purse with no problem. Its great.

My Ipad is my go to device, because I am just so much more familiar with it. I am still getting adjusted to android devices. I enjoy having both. But then, I am a gadget person!!