What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coming from Android to Apple what do I need to know?

Reaction score
Cindy, I found an app called Bible.is that works very well on both my iPad and Incredible very well and it's free on both.
Its not as glamorous as YouVersion but the Bible audio reader is great for times when I want to read but don't have free hands to hold my phone or ipad

Support Our Troops!
This post was Tapatalk approved
Sent from my iPad

OP
Cincybearcatfan

Cincybearcatfan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Cindy, I found an app called Bible.is that works very well on both my iPad and Incredible very well and it's free on both.
Its not as glamorous as YouVersion but the Bible audio reader is great for times when I want to read but don't have free hands to hold my phone or ipad

Support Our Troops!
This post was Tapatalk approved
Sent from my iPad

I downloaded a few free versions in the bookstore. I like the ESV and HCSB version. It's nice to be able to hold it and turn pages as it's a "real" book. I will give Bible.is a try. Thanks for the suggestion!

BTW for anyone else new to the iPad the ability to delete emails by flicking to the left on the message list brings up a "delete" button, that is unless you are only in your gmail inbox, then it brings up "archive". This whole "flicking" thing is new. I still can't figure out how to use the ! without hitting the 123 button. It's over the comma, but even with a "flick" it doesn't come up.

Porcupine8

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I still can't figure out how to use the ! without hitting the 123 button. It's over the comma, but even with a "flick" it doesn't come up.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the question, but there is a Shift key right next to the ?/. key. It doesn't say shift, it's just an up arrow, but hit it once and it acts as a normal shift (giving you a single cap and the ! and ?), hit it twice and it's capslock (but doesn't activate ! or ?).

OP
Cincybearcatfan

Cincybearcatfan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I still can't figure out how to use the ! without hitting the 123 button. It's over the comma, but even with a "flick" it doesn't come up.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the question, but there is a Shift key right next to the ?/. key. It doesn't say shift, it's just an up arrow, but hit it once and it acts as a normal shift (giving you a single cap and the ! and ?), hit it twice and it's capslock (but doesn't activate ! or ?).

Nope, you weren't misunderstanding anything. That's exactly what I was asking. Thanks! I didn't realize it utilized that function when you hit the up arrow. I should have figured that one out but it just got by me. :eek:

boomhower

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm in the process of making the switch myself. I have been using Android since the Hero came out and currenly use the EVO. I've had my iPad 2 for a couple of days now and so far really like it. My biggest gripe right now is that I can't figure out how to get Safari to open new pages in the background. For instance when browsing forums I want to open several threads in new windows in the background and then go and read them. I don't want them to pop up right then. The other is I am used to long pressing to get options to delete, etc. Just something to get used to.

I for one an liking iTunes. It's simple and works well. Apps in general are of much higher quality. The downside of that is not near as many are free. Android has a lot of high quality free apps supported by advertising. Most of Apple's free apps are crap.

I can see an iPhone in my future this summer.

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm in the process of making the switch myself. I have been using Android since the Hero came out and currenly use the EVO. I've had my iPad 2 for a couple of days now and so far really like it. My biggest gripe right now is that I can't figure out how to get Safari to open new pages in the background. For instance when browsing forums I want to open several threads in new windows in the background and then go and read them. I don't want them to pop up right then. The other is I am used to long pressing to get options to delete, etc. Just something to get used to.

I for one an liking iTunes. It's simple and works well. Apps in general are of much higher quality. The downside of that is not near as many are free. Android has a lot of high quality free apps supported by advertising. Most of Apple's free apps are crap.

I can see an iPhone in my future this summer.

Unfortunately safari does not support "open in background". There are other browsers that are capable of this.... One is atomic browser and I'm sure others will chime in with others.

EvilMonkey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If I may chime in. I have an EVO and an iPad2. The EVO is simply awesome.

I enjoy my iPad2, but it does have a lot of drawbacks compared to what I'm used to with Android, but I've learned to live with them. Don't get me wrong, it does a lot of things well, but it also doesn't do a lot of things. My biggest gripes are:

1. Flash (sorry, but had to be said). So annoying to have so many holes in web pages and my Pulse news reader.
  2. Lack of different email signatures for different accounts. I have 5 email accounts but am only allowed one signature, so I was forced to put my corporate email signature (which is required) and then I have to delete it every time I want to use one of my other 4 accounts.
  3. No keyboard options. I'd say it's safe to say that I despise the keyboard. My kingdom for a Swipe or SlideIT or even a Swiftkey.
  4. Not notifications. Like I have to back out of whatever I'm doing to see if I have email or go into my Facebook app (Friendly) to see if I have any nofications there. Seems they aren't making use of the notification bar at all...I get time and battery status and a wifi indicator and that's it.
  5. Very little customization options. Not a big deal, but I'm just used to being able to customize everything.

Also, the App store might be the one of the most frustrating and crappiest things I've ever used. These are my issues (someone correct me if I'm doing something wrong for any of these)

• There is no way to jump to pages. When viewing a category like "games" it will say "0-12 of 12,009" but there is no way to display 25, 50, or 100 items, and there is no way to jump to the middle of the list.....you have to keep pressing "next" literally 500 times to get to the middle of the list. Developers must love being buried there.
  • To make the paging problem worse, if you install something it kicks you out and when going back into the app store it jumps back to the first page again. Also, if you just view the details of an app and try to back out to the list, it'll frequently dump you back to the first page again. It got so I'd get up to page 400 or so of apps, and I was scared to click on an app to view the details because I might get dumped back to page one again.
  • There is no way to sort. Seems you can view by featured and released date, and that's pretty much it. No sorting by name or type or rating or developer or anything.
  • no sub-categories. Like I can view games, but can't view just adventure or puzzle games. It does appear though you can search for "Adventure" which will return those, mixed in with any other app that contains the word "adventure"...still, would be nice to have sub-categories under things.

All in all though, I do enjoy having it. Used it at a conference a couple weeks ago instead of lugging around my laptop, and there was only one time I wished I had the laptop with me (I needed to connect to a server for a support issue, and doing it on the iPad was a chore). I also can hook it up to my EVO's hotspot for car rides and stuff and my kid enjoys watching movies on it.

However, around the house, I used the iPad a lot the first 2 or 3 weeks I had it, and now find myself just reaching for my much more convenient, usually-in my-pocket phone.

Oh, I love the battery life on the iPad 2. I am frequently amazed how much I can use it before I have to charge the thing.

Last edited:

doubledown7d

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, mine is gone. Took it back last week for a refund. It does many things very well but lots of other things are not there for me. I also found it confining working within iTunes. No doubt it is a great device and most people are going to be thrilled with it, just not for me. I'm either going to wait for Honeycomb to grow up or I'm gonna get a laptop. Cheers!

iTunes is a MONSTER of a program that bogs down my laptop and it really is the worst part of owning my iPad. There are soooo many +'s than -'s at this time to even consider any other tablet. Like it or not there are so many quality easy to use apps for my iPad than there were or likely ever will be for my Xoom. Things that make it so much more usable and handy. When Honeycomb grows up it won't be Honeycomb, it will be Honeycomb 3.5.6 or in other words many years later. I will buy one (when I need to replace my iPad if it is better). I've discovered that while I am a STAUNCH conservative both politically and socially, I'm more of a moderate when it comes to my electronics. Very surprising to me because everything else in my life is about absolutes. It costs me more money because I'm buying apps twice, but I like what I like and if I'm going to spend money on it, I'm going to have it the way I like it.

Cincy, I hear you about Honeycomb. It WILL take a while. Maybe the tablet for me won't be out for another year or so. I have started to look for a notebook with Blu Ray and HDMI. I need one anyway and it will solve most of my problems for now except for one...tablets and touchscreens are fun :) The interaction is great. Eh, there's always next year. Who knows...even iPad 3 with iOS 5 and cloud services might be a totally different beast that will make me happy. For now, I'll just have to play angry birds on a tiny screen, LOL.

jmorton10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If I may chime in. I have an EVO and an iPad2. The EVO is simply awesome.

I enjoy my iPad2, but it does have a lot of drawbacks compared to what I'm used to with Android, but I've learned to live with them. Don't get me wrong, it does a lot of things well, but it also doesn't do a lot of things. My biggest gripes are:

1. Flash (sorry, but had to be said). So annoying to have so many holes in web pages and my Pulse news reader.
  2. Lack of different email signatures for different accounts. I have 5 email accounts but am only allowed one signature, so I was forced to put my corporate email signature (which is required) and then I have to delete it every time I want to use one of my other 4 accounts.
  3. No keyboard options. I'd say it's safe to say that I despise the keyboard. My kingdom for a Swipe or SlideIT or even a Swiftkey.
  4. Not notifications. Like I have to back out of whatever I'm doing to see if I have email or go into my Facebook app (Friendly) to see if I have any nofications there. Seems they aren't making use of the notification bar at all...I get time and battery status and a wifi indicator and that's it.
  5. Very little customization options. Not a big deal, but I'm just used to being able to customize everything.

Also, the App store might be the one of the most frustrating and crappiest things I've ever used. These are my issues (someone correct me if I'm doing something wrong for any of these)

• There is no way to jump to pages. When viewing a category like "games" it will say "0-12 of 12,009" but there is no way to display 25, 50, or 100 items, and there is no way to jump to the middle of the list.....you have to keep pressing "next" literally 500 times to get to the middle of the list. Developers must love being buried there.
  • To make the paging problem worse, if you install something it kicks you out and when going back into the app store it jumps back to the first page again. Also, if you just view the details of an app and try to back out to the list, it'll frequently dump you back to the first page again. It got so I'd get up to page 400 or so of apps, and I was scared to click on an app to view the details because I might get dumped back to page one again.
  • There is no way to sort. Seems you can view by featured and released date, and that's pretty much it. No sorting by name or type or rating or developer or anything.
  • no sub-categories. Like I can view games, but can't view just adventure or puzzle games. It does appear though you can search for "Adventure" which will return those, mixed in with any other app that contains the word "adventure"...still, would be nice to have sub-categories under things.

OMG, I laughed my a** off reading your app store description. I agree with every word of this post. Your criticisms are all the exact same things that irritate me about my new ipad2 (I'm a LONG TIME PC tech but I've never owned an apple product before).

Although I knew the thing didn't support flash, I guess I never realized just how much web content you miss when you don't have it (it is a TON)

~John

jmorton10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
By the way, we are almost identical users, I tether mine to a DroidX and do the same things you do.

~John

OP
Cincybearcatfan

Cincybearcatfan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm used to being able to share any photo that I have with pretty much anyone or any social networking website out there. I can't find that functionality on my iPad. When I wanted to share a photo with Facebook or Dropbox on my Xoom or even on my Dinc all I have to do is hit the share button and everything from Facebook to Twitpic will appear. A press of the button and I'm sharing away. Is this possible on the iPad?

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm used to being able to share any photo that I have with pretty much anyone or any social networking website out there. I can't find that functionality on my iPad. When I wanted to share a photo with Facebook or Dropbox on my Xoom or even on my Dinc all I have to do is hit the share button and everything from Facebook to Twitpic will appear. A press of the button and I'm sharing away. Is this possible on the iPad?

I'm sure you can, but like with everything in ios, you will need a seperate app to accomplish it. Stock photo viewer gives you the option to email.

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Cincybearcatfan said:

Camera pro plus? Allows for batch uploads to multiple social sites.

Last edited:

thetaman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've come to the realization that things I take for granted aren't always possible on the iPad. Don't get me wrong, I like my iPad. However, I always find myself longpressing on things (like photos) looking for more options. I'm always wanting to customize and do more than a lot of apps allow. This is because I've been using Android for over a year. I was trying to delete messages in one of the more common Facebook apps, but couldn't. Small things like that can really be frustrating. Maybe things will get better if the iPad 2 can be jail broken?

I think the iPad has some great apps (especially games) great for web browsing, very smooth and fluid. But, I find myself limited in other ways that do cause some frustrations. And like others have mentioned before. I find myself reaching for my phone (EVO) to do things at times, just because it's easier.

EvilMonkey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ditto.

I've seen some videos of jailbroken iPads and it looks like you can do a bit more with them (widgets, animated wallpaper, rearrange icons without them snapping into rigid rows, scrollable docks, gestures, custom icons, rename icons, etc). Looks a bit more like Android and that kindof stuff gives you some basic Android-like things. A bit anyways. Here's a link with a video someone made which highlights some things you can do if you jailbreak: http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hack...ll-i-get-jailbreaking-my-ipad.html#post163060

Unfortunately my employer purchased the iPad2 for me, so I can't jailbreak it. Well, I could, but I'd rather not risk having to go back and tell them I broke it.

Had no problem rooting my Evo though (CyanogenMod7 FTW!) , but I'm hesitant to jailbreak the iPad since technically it's not mine.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts