What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coming from Android to Apple what do I need to know?

Cincybearcatfan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a Droid Incredible. I LOVE my phone. I LOVE all that it can do and therefore I was under the illusion that I would LOVE a fully functioning Android Tablet. I was wrong. I bought the Motorola Xoom on launch day. I lied to myself for 3 weeks to convince me that it was my "dream" device. I finally fessed up to myself and realized the fun I had tinkering with my phone was not the fun I wanted to have tinkering with my Xoom.

Rooting my phone was amazing. It gave me access to free wireless tethering, allowed me to change my UI, gave me complete control over everything. I don't want to go through all of that to use a tablet. I want to be able to watch movies with Netflix. I want to be able to view Hulu and have the ability to surf the internet without my browser force closing every 2 minutes for no reason at all.

My last experience with an iAnything was a first gen iPod. I disliked Apple every since due to how they handle(d) DRM. I'm willing to jump back into the water for a device that works like it should.

What do I need to know. Obviously I'm not a tech newb. I know my way around, but what should I watch for what should I expect to be different, the same, etc than an Android interface?

What apps should I buy, what apps should I avoid, what are some tricks for syncing my gmail, google calendar, picasa, etc when I get my iPad 2?

Any and all feedback to "educate me" would be appreciated.

Last edited:

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Coming from Android to Apple what do I need to know?
You made a mistake, but we forgive you and gladly welcome you back. But don't do it again!

Bratan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You gonna love it! I'm a Windows guy (15+ work experience in the IT), never had Mac or iPhone, but I adore iPad. Not much you need to know about device itself, it's very intuitive, you'll have lots of fun finding out things on your own. One thing you should know is how terrible iTunes functionality is. I don't want to scare you but I've lost lots of photos, apps, etc. just by using default Sync option. As a general rule of thumb, whenever you don't have something on the PC where iTunes installed it will try to make things "even" by erasing it from iPad as well. So transfer your purchases, etc. and be careful when Syncing :)

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Don't come here and moan about Flash! After that, it is a cinch.

GlenL

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The only problem I have with iPad is not being able to rename photos once they are on the iPad. All photo album management must be done on the computer and have iTunes sync the particular folder containing all the photos.

Syncing with google calendar and gmail is easy as pie. Just create a google account on the iPad through account settings and it automatically syncs gmail, calendar and contacts. To view picasa photos, you can use a free app called Piconhand.

fva432010

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I laso have a Dinc. At the beginning you'll feel like in jail, then you'll jailbrake, the feeling remains the same. After a while you'll get used to and begin enjoying and living with a lot of limitations, like no swype or swiftkey, no communication between apps. Even with ifile file management and browsing is very limited.
The hardware and the software are great, the problem is the philosophy behind. Here begins your love - hate relation with the iPad.

rchatburn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This thing is great for web browsing, minus the flash ovcourse brilliant for pdf reading, notifications suck compared to android, games are just awesome. My only real problem at the moment is not being able to move downloaded podcasts from my iPad to my iPod.
You might notice that you will miss your trackpad from your droid you have to press and hold to get a cursor and I don't think it works well.

There is no reason you can't use both, the iPad for in the home and android for on the go. That's the way I have been using it and I'm happy with it. I have a pc for my gaming/programing, android for my moving and iPad for my relaxing I just pick the tool that does the best job at the time

Hufn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am in the same exact position. I havent used apple since os9 and had an orig iPod -(FireWire not USB) android is far more flexible but apple iOS is just slick. I liked the customization that android offers but the tablet isn't quite there yet. I am loving the iPad, which is annoying because I hate job's totalitarian methods, however I don't want this to become an argument about that...

You can tether the iPad through the android - I have an od rooted with gingerbread and it works very well... Overall the app support for biz apps is mostly there but enough foe me to make it work :)

one thing I really miss on the kbd are the arrow keys - I want to be able to arrow around... Unless I just can't find them :)

Breitling65

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Get iPhone4, that would be best to use with ipad2. You will save money on sharing apps and no need of worry about bugs and crashes on Droid, battery life on your phone is pretty bad too. I know because my son own same and he is dreaming about iphone4 already.

Hufn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Battery on my od overclocked even is just fine. I've not had a y problems a all - I can go a whole day and drop 30-40% - for a smartphone I'd call that decent...

And you can't tether the iPhone without jail breaking it if I read correctly - yes you need to root the droid but it's not as if new os versions keep coming out just to block it - heck many of the droids have unlocked boot loaders for a reason ;)

Running stock with the apps I want I never had crashing problems. Even a rom of froyo most are terrific - it's mostly the gingerbread that have all the problems...

Breitling65

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What do you mean I can't tether? I do all the time. You are on wrong forum if you like android, wait until they fix xoom or doom, or whaever they are calling this cra.

doubledown7d

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey Cincybearcatfan! Looks like you are not the only one. I have been holding out for the Sammy 10.1 but finally decided Honeycomb and functionality is just not there yet. Bit the bullet and have a new iPad 2 in hand as we speak. There is just so much more you can do with the iPad right now. I figure when the Android tabs come around to quad core and the apps are there it will be time to sell the 2 and decide between the Honeycomb and the new iPad 3. My dream device right now would be Sammy 10.1 hardware (10.1 widescreen IPS) running iOS and all the wonderful things it can do. A person can dream, but then we all have to order off the menu :) For me for now...iPad 2 FTW!

BTW as you probably know, there are rumors that iOS 5 will have improved notification and multitasking. If so, it just keeps getting better.

Hufn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What is your problem bretling65? Did you even read what I wrote? I said if I read correctly. If you are saying it is possible without jail breaking it and paying more for a tether plan then I guess I learned something. However, you really should take a step back and read the whole post before responding.

Did you miss the part where I said I liked the iPad? Or does the word android just make you snap and you have to start throwing insultsp around? Are you saying that if I like both android and the iPad I am not welcome here? It certainly sounds like it.

I'm not sure why you seem to feel the need to be insulting, but if this is the welcome that a new iPad user gets in a forum here than there is little point posting I guess. I live in a world where people can actually like more than one thing. If this causes you too much grief then I might suggest finding someone to talk your issues out with.

Reaction score
I have a Droid Incredible. I LOVE my phone. I LOVE all that it can do and therefore I was under the illusion that I would LOVE a fully functioning Android Tablet. I was wrong. I bought the Motorola Xoom on launch day. I lied to myself for 3 weeks to convince me that it was my "dream" device. I finally fessed up to myself and realized the fun I had tinkering with my phone was not the fun I wanted to have tinkering with my Xoom.

Rooting my phone was amazing. It gave me access to free wireless tethering, allowed me to change my UI, gave me complete control over everything. I don't want to go through all of that to use a tablet. I want to be able to watch movies with Netflix. I want to be able to view Hulu and have the ability to surf the internet without my browser force closing every 2 minutes for no reason at all.

My last experience with an iAnything was a first gen iPod. I disliked Apple every since due to how they handle(d) DRM. I'm willing to jump back into the water for a device that works like it should.

What do I need to know. Obviously I'm not a tech newb. I know my way around, but what should I watch for what should I expect to be different, the same, etc than an Android interface?

What apps should I buy, what apps should I avoid, what are some tricks for syncing my gmail, google calendar, picasa, etc when I get my iPad 2?

Any and all feedback to "educate me" would be appreciated.

As an Inc owner I can tell you they both have their perks and they both have their faults. Apps run smoother on the iPad and there are many more but finding them is a real pain. The market, with it's flaws, is easier to use than the store. Before complaining about the 15 minute return window on Android say goodbye to a refund possibility on Apple.
As far as what you will need that will depend on how you plan on using your iPad. If it's going to be an Internet machine I'd suggest Puffin or iswifter browser to offset the lack of a certain ability on the iPad that even giving the illusion of complaining about will start a flame war.
If you use shopping apps on your Inc you will find the iPhone versions work very well, just need to tap the 2x button on the lower right for full screen. Just about every none settings app I have on my Inc I have on my iPad and have found the iPad ones to run smoother and in many cases are more user friendly in the UI.
The main thing is have an open mind and enjoy it. Though I use my phone a ton still I thoroughly enjoy using my iPad.
Again without knowing your needs I don't know which apps to suggest beyond Puffin or iswifter. I have found syncing my emails and uploads to be just as easy and in some cases easier than on my Inc.
As far as posting on this forum, have a tough skin if you are happy enough with your Inc to talk about it. Just like adroidforums.net, the fanboys here get right grumpy sometimes. Don't take it personally
Hope that helps

Support Our Troops!
This post was Tapatalk approved
Sent from my iPad

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts