What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is the BEST Tablet To Buy?

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm not an expert but having used Windows for awhile and the frustration it has given me especially Vista, you would not ask this question! This is however my own opinion and yes, other people have a love for Windows laptops. I do not! I can't wait to throw my laptop into the skip and spend vast amounts of money on a MacBook Air or anything that has the apple name attached.

Vista gave me nightmares...mainly because it was so crashy....Win7 is great, however. I just got an Air and I find OS X to be as complicated as Windows, i.e., I don't think there is a lot of difference in terms of ease of use. That grapher app is pretty cool, though.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
Vista gave me nightmares...mainly because it was so crashy....Win7 is great, however. I just got an Air and I find OS X to be as complicated as Windows, i.e., I don't think there is a lot of difference in terms of ease of use. That grapher app is pretty cool, though.

It's hard to disagree here because ease of use and like-ability of an OS is very much down to personal taste however, for me I found OSX a pleasure from when I first came over from windows about seven or eight years ago. I still have to use Windows at work which gives me a good feel for current differences but for me, if I didn't have to work I wouldn't go back to Windows at all.

We are all different......and I like that!

The Archangel

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
All different. Absolutely. :)

I use iOS on my devises. Love it sooooo much. But osx on my mac? Give me windows any day I'm afraid. Probably because I'm a mac user of 5 years and a windows user of 25 years.

Old habits die real hard I suppose.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It's hard to disagree here because ease of use and like-ability of an OS is very much down to personal taste however, for me I found OSX a pleasure from when I first came over from windows about seven or eight years ago. I still have to use Windows at work which gives me a good feel for current differences but for me, if I didn't have to work I wouldn't go back to Windows at all.

We are all different......and I like that!

The Archangel

In fairness, I've only had the Air for a few days....so....I need some time to get to see its true virtues. ;)

That grapher app is going to steal a lot of my time over the coming weeks, though. :)

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
In fairness, I've only had the Air for a few days....so....I need some time to get to see its true virtues. ;)

That grapher app is going to steal a lot of my time over the coming weeks, though. :)

I got my Air late last year, you probably haven't discovered all it's benefits yet......close it up and you can use it to chop vegetables.

The Archangel

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Gabriel1 said:
I got my Air late last year, you probably haven't discovered all it's benefits yet......close it up and you can use it to chop vegetables.

The Archangel

I'm still waiting for that stir fry dinner you made with your ginsu Air!

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Seadog said:
I agree that getting hands-on experience is very necessary to knowing whether or not a person will like a device. It is why so many people stay with the iPad. The problem is when people come here and complain about features that Apples has made no secret about. The high number of people who come here and want to use flash and are surprise that it is not supported. The lack of GPS with the wifi models, is another. The list goes on with striking regularity.

Sure thing. There are some basics that people should be familiar with regarding these tablets. Not to brag but I did a lot of research and I feel my decision was made on as much fact as I could conjure up. Are there still a few things I'm learning along the way? Yep. Are there some positive surprises as well? You betchya.

I agree though that once you've done the iPad thing it's hard to even consider any other tablet. And that's coming from a non Mac guy. :)

terryr97

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Google: One thing that I really dislike about Android, is that in many cases, if you buy a device, you will not be able to use another version of Android. Plus the Android experience is different on each device, because the OS has to be modified for each device manufacturer.

I've owned 8 different Android phones up to the Razr Maxx I now use. I have rooted them and installed different ROMs on them, along with my Kindle Fire, which is running Cyanogenmod 9 (ICS). Ive jailbroken my old iPad and am waiting, impatiently, for a jailbreak for my new iPad 2. I had various ipods including my modded ipod touch 4th gen. I had an iPhone 4gs but I had to return it before I threw it through a window.

This whole Apple vs Android boils down to (for me anyway): if youre used to widgets (android), running a whole app sucks. So does having all those ugly icons all over your ipad/iphone/ipod touch. Hiding them in folders is worse.

If you couldnt find alot of apps, I dont know where you were looking! Google Play, Amazon, Appbrain, etc. is where you need to go. Many of them are free. Most fruastraing, for me, is having to buy several Apple apps to do not exactly what i wanted to do with one simple, cheap Android app. Too many mediocre to-do apps vs. colornote for Android. Had a widget that posted JUST my list of classes on my homescreen. No having to scroll through the other 100 notes I have to find the one I needed. I have Quick Dial widgets, Clock widgets with weather and calendar, etc.

I dont begrudge Apple users their love of all things Apple. But, for personally owning my devices, Android is the way to go. Usb, micro sd use up to 32gig all for $300 works for me. Yes, I'm a Droid fangirl but i own and use both so I'm allowed to be judgemental.

P.s. my MacBookPro is where its at! Yes, it has Win7 and Ubuntu bootcamped but you cant beat the Mac OS for its sandboxing. Awesome!!

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts