What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coming from Android to Apple what do I need to know?

Reaction score
Nope it's not you. I have to hold the screen until the magnifier comes the word on to make my auto correct work right. You can turn auto correct off if it's too much of a problem. I've gotten used to it.
I also use a bluetooth keyboard/case/stand combo called Zagg mate that seems to skip the auto correct and auto punctuation. I had the HARDEST time typing instead of sliding at first but I also have the same problem on the desktop. Ultra Keyboard has spoiled me.

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from my Incpad

OP
Cincybearcatfan

Cincybearcatfan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks ^, I'm glad it's not just me. Is there an app for this forum? Android Forums has a free app and wondered if there is one for this forum other than Tapatalk. I hate to spend money for Tapatalk again (already did it on the Android Market) if there is a free alternative.

Reaction score
Cincybearcatfan said:
Thanks ^, I'm glad it's not just me. Is there an app for this forum? Android Forums has a free app and wondered if there is one for this forum other than Tapatalk. I hate to spend money for Tapatalk again (already did it on the Android Market) if there is a free alternative.

There is a free app named 'Discussion Forum for iPad Users', short iPF.

iPad 2 is cool

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Cincybearcatfan said:
Another BIG thing for me is getting used to the keyboard. When I type, it often substitutes what it THINKS I mean. I will backspace and retype it. Most any other keyboard I've used will leave it alone after I go back and retype it the way I had it, not my iPad it KEEPS changing it. Very frustrating. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong or that there is a trick to keep it from doing that but for the life of me I can't figure it out.

Go into your settings/general/keyboard and the turn off auto-correction. This will stop the problem occurring. But in reality it is a good option to have. After a few re-types the device learns your words and retains it in your personal custom dictionary. Hope this helps.

jmorton10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Another BIG thing for me is getting used to the keyboard. When I type, it often substitutes what it THINKS I mean. I will backspace and retype it. Most any other keyboard I've used will leave it alone after I go back and retype it the way I had it, not my iPad it KEEPS changing it. Very frustrating. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong or that there is a trick to keep it from doing that but for the life of me I can't figure it out.

That is super annoying. I would hate to turn auto-correct off because when it works it sure is handy but it's definitely one of the dumbest keyboards I've ever used (I got spoiled by the superb android KB's I guess)

~John

OP
Cincybearcatfan

Cincybearcatfan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there a way to make the Appstore remember my password? It's really annoying to have to re-enter it over and over again when I want to download a new app?

doubledown7d

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, mine is gone. Took it back last week for a refund. It does many things very well but lots of other things are not there for me. I also found it confining working within iTunes. No doubt it is a great device and most people are going to be thrilled with it, just not for me. I'm either going to wait for Honeycomb to grow up or I'm gonna get a laptop. Cheers!

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well, mine is gone. Took it back last week for a refund. It does many things very well but lots of other things are not there for me. I also found it confining working within iTunes. No doubt it is a great device and most people are going to be thrilled with it, just not for me. I'm either going to wait for Honeycomb to grow up or I'm gonna get a laptop. Cheers!

there are alternatives to iTunes....

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I like doing analogies. Think of owning an Apple device like owning a Honda Goldwing. Smooth, reliable, but most of the time, you buy one for group activities. And you have to go to a Honda technician for service. On the other hand, a Harley is a less refined experience, and fewer riders tend travel in groups. More Harley owners tend to do their own maintenance and will get custom paint jobs. A Harley demands more from it's owners, and you have to put up with a lot. It has to be a passion, or you will get tired of dealing with it. iPad owners, like Goldwing owners, want to get there with ease. They don't have time to be a technician.

Faulty analogy. A better one would place Guzzi riders in place of the HOG's. :)

OP
Cincybearcatfan

Cincybearcatfan

iPF Noob
Reaction score

iTunes is a MONSTER of a program that bogs down my laptop and it really is the worst part of owning my iPad. There are soooo many +'s than -'s at this time to even consider any other tablet. Like it or not there are so many quality easy to use apps for my iPad than there were or likely ever will be for my Xoom. Things that make it so much more usable and handy. When Honeycomb grows up it won't be Honeycomb, it will be Honeycomb 3.5.6 or in other words many years later. I will buy one (when I need to replace my iPad if it is better). I've discovered that while I am a STAUNCH conservative both politically and socially, I'm more of a moderate when it comes to my electronics. Very surprising to me because everything else in my life is about absolutes. It costs me more money because I'm buying apps twice, but I like what I like and if I'm going to spend money on it, I'm going to have it the way I like it.

Reaction score
I consider exercising the freedom to buy what works best for me and mine vs towing the "you should use...... because I said so or I use" line to be more conservative than moderate. Time is money, time with family instead of trying to get my electronics to work right is precious, ease of use to avoid frustration toward others is needed. We (my family and I) have what we have by the grace of God and because it meets our needs of family first values and freedom in a world that demands our time and energy.

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from my Incpad

Most reactions

Latest posts