Coming from Android to Apple what do I need to know?

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by Cincybearcatfan, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Mountainbikermark

Mountainbikermark iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Nope it's not you. I have to hold the screen until the magnifier comes the word on to make my auto correct work right. You can turn auto correct off if it's too much of a problem. I've gotten used to it.
    I also use a bluetooth keyboard/case/stand combo called Zagg mate that seems to skip the auto correct and auto punctuation. I had the HARDEST time typing instead of sliding at first but I also have the same problem on the desktop. Ultra Keyboard has spoiled me.

Support Our Troops!!
    This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from my Incpad
  2. Cincybearcatfan

Cincybearcatfan iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks ^, I'm glad it's not just me. Is there an app for this forum? Android Forums has a free app and wondered if there is one for this forum other than Tapatalk. I hate to spend money for Tapatalk again (already did it on the Android Market) if there is a free alternative.
  3. DontUnderstandMyIpad

DontUnderstandMyIpad iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    There is a free app named 'Discussion Forum for iPad Users', short iPF.
  4. Cincybearcatfan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    ^ Thanks! Using it now.
  5. iPad 2 is cool

iPad 2 is cool iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Go into your settings/general/keyboard and the turn off auto-correction. This will stop the problem occurring. But in reality it is a good option to have. After a few re-types the device learns your words and retains it in your personal custom dictionary. Hope this helps.
  6. jmorton10

jmorton10 iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    That is super annoying. I would hate to turn auto-correct off because when it works it sure is handy but it's definitely one of the dumbest keyboards I've ever used (I got spoiled by the superb android KB's I guess)

~John
  7. Cincybearcatfan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Is there a way to make the Appstore remember my password? It's really annoying to have to re-enter it over and over again when I want to download a new app?
  8. SweetPoison

SweetPoison iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +134 / 0
    No there isn't and really it is for your own protection.
  9. doubledown7d

doubledown7d iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well, mine is gone. Took it back last week for a refund. It does many things very well but lots of other things are not there for me. I also found it confining working within iTunes. No doubt it is a great device and most people are going to be thrilled with it, just not for me. I'm either going to wait for Honeycomb to grow up or I'm gonna get a laptop. Cheers!
  10. OUTL4W

OUTL4W iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    there are alternatives to iTunes....
  11. jmorton10

jmorton10 iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
  12. OUTL4W

OUTL4W iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    I use DiskAid for drag n drop without having to needlessly sync everything on iPad.
  13. jsh1120

jsh1120 iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0
    Faulty analogy. A better one would place Guzzi riders in place of the HOG's. :)
  14. Cincybearcatfan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    iTunes is a MONSTER of a program that bogs down my laptop and it really is the worst part of owning my iPad. There are soooo many +'s than -'s at this time to even consider any other tablet. Like it or not there are so many quality easy to use apps for my iPad than there were or likely ever will be for my Xoom. Things that make it so much more usable and handy. When Honeycomb grows up it won't be Honeycomb, it will be Honeycomb 3.5.6 or in other words many years later. I will buy one (when I need to replace my iPad if it is better). I've discovered that while I am a STAUNCH conservative both politically and socially, I'm more of a moderate when it comes to my electronics. Very surprising to me because everything else in my life is about absolutes. It costs me more money because I'm buying apps twice, but I like what I like and if I'm going to spend money on it, I'm going to have it the way I like it.
  15. Mountainbikermark

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    I consider exercising the freedom to buy what works best for me and mine vs towing the "you should use...... because I said so or I use" line to be more conservative than moderate. Time is money, time with family instead of trying to get my electronics to work right is precious, ease of use to avoid frustration toward others is needed. We (my family and I) have what we have by the grace of God and because it meets our needs of family first values and freedom in a world that demands our time and energy.

Support Our Troops!!
    This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from my Incpad
  16. Mountainbikermark

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Cindy, I found an app called Bible.is that works very well on both my iPad and Incredible very well and it's free on both.
    Its not as glamorous as YouVersion but the Bible audio reader is great for times when I want to read but don't have free hands to hold my phone or ipad

Support Our Troops!
    This post was Tapatalk approved
    Sent from my iPad
  17. Cincybearcatfan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I downloaded a few free versions in the bookstore. I like the ESV and HCSB version. It's nice to be able to hold it and turn pages as it's a "real" book. I will give Bible.is a try. Thanks for the suggestion!

BTW for anyone else new to the iPad the ability to delete emails by flicking to the left on the message list brings up a "delete" button, that is unless you are only in your gmail inbox, then it brings up "archive". This whole "flicking" thing is new. I still can't figure out how to use the ! without hitting the 123 button. It's over the comma, but even with a "flick" it doesn't come up.
  18. Porcupine8

Porcupine8 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Maybe I'm misunderstanding the question, but there is a Shift key right next to the ?/. key. It doesn't say shift, it's just an up arrow, but hit it once and it acts as a normal shift (giving you a single cap and the ! and ?), hit it twice and it's capslock (but doesn't activate ! or ?).
  19. Cincybearcatfan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Nope, you weren't misunderstanding anything. That's exactly what I was asking. Thanks! I didn't realize it utilized that function when you hit the up arrow. I should have figured that one out but it just got by me. :eek:
  20. boomhower

boomhower iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm in the process of making the switch myself. I have been using Android since the Hero came out and currenly use the EVO. I've had my iPad 2 for a couple of days now and so far really like it. My biggest gripe right now is that I can't figure out how to get Safari to open new pages in the background. For instance when browsing forums I want to open several threads in new windows in the background and then go and read them. I don't want them to pop up right then. The other is I am used to long pressing to get options to delete, etc. Just something to get used to.

I for one an liking iTunes. It's simple and works well. Apps in general are of much higher quality. The downside of that is not near as many are free. Android has a lot of high quality free apps supported by advertising. Most of Apple's free apps are crap.

I can see an iPhone in my future this summer.