What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coming from Android to Apple what do I need to know?

danrivito

iPF Noob
Reaction score
IM+ works well for Google Chat. I also use it for Facebook chat.

Sent from my iPad2 using Forum Runner

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Most of my artwork is autmatically downloaded from iTunes no matter what source it is from. For those few that I do not get from the iTunes store, I usually can go to Amazon and copy the album cover picture, or one that will do, and drop it in iTunes for the artwork.

OP
Cincybearcatfan

Cincybearcatfan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I couldn't wait any longer to get an iPad 2 so I gave up and went to Target and purchased a 64GB iPad 2 tonight right after I canceled my order at apple.com. Now that I have it, I must say that I'm truly lost. This whole "sync" through iTunes had me puzzled for a while. I think I have the hang of it now but it's very s-l-o-w. I guess I will have to wait until the morning to play with my new toy. Syncing over 3000 songs, 30 movies or so, thousands of pictures (didn't mean to do that but not sure how to stop it now) and all of my Google contacts will take some time.

I can't seem to get all of my Google calendars to show up in my calendar now? I found this How do I sync multiple google calendars to my iPad.. It will only sync one. - Google Mobile Help but I can't until this thing stops syncing.

I already accidentally purchased the wrong app, no refunds :( Oh well, whats .99?

Is MobileMe worth it? I don't like paying for things that I get for free elsewhere or pay for elsewhere. I'm sure I will have other questions now that I have it. I now have an apple on the front of my laptop next to Andy. Who knew those two could get along?

Reaction score
Next time you sync uncheck the photos and it will remove them.
I say had I gone from Windows to Apple it would have been much easier for me to learn the sync process but throw learning Android in between and it was a bit disconcerting for me as well. I hate iTunes but it is a necessary evil to be able to use the Ipad.
I don't know why,I see folks complain about Android force close and freeze as well, but every now and then I'll be doing something and my Ipad just goes to the home screen. I think that's what others refer to as app crash but I think with Apple it is more to do with RAM than the app itself. I use xsysinfo to minimize the crashes but it still happens way more often than my Inc force closes. With the Ipad 2 having double the RAM I would think it happens less often on it, but again it does not close things as needed as well as Linux which on my Inc never runs out of memory.

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from my Incpad

Last edited:

NCTurner

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Cincy,

Glad you got your ipad 2! Yeah, syncing can get annoying.

I had mentioned the YouVersion Bible, earlier, as a 'must have' for you. Another app which I just got yesterday, is NotesPlus. PHENOMINAL! I also have Penultimate and Noterize, and without a doubt, NotesPlus is my favorite, by a long shot! I would highly recommend it, if you need a good notetaking app. I love that you can do normal handwriting "up close", so the writing is small, yet you write larger (it shrinks it down as you write.) You can look at his videos on his site: NotesPlusApp.com Without a doubt, this has definitely been one of my best purchases!

GlenL

iPF Noob
Reaction score
While it's syncing you should see an X in the iTunes window at the top next to the sync progress bar. Hitting that should stop the sync wherever it's at.

To get an app refund, go to your purchase history and click report a problem, and apple usually will refund you.

metheridge

iPF Noob
Reaction score
danrivito said:
Simple answer... It just works.

I'm a recent transplant from Android myself.

It's funny cuz I didn't even realize how glitchy my android devices were until I got my ipad2.

No more force closes... Lags... Hesitation changing screen rotation... Home screen reloads... Etc

The down side is obviously the limited user customization.... But I'll trade that any day for a device that works and has great battery life.

In fact an iphone4 just replaced my last Android device.

Funny I have a fascinate and I don't have any of those problems........my ipad2 however.....

Sent from my iPad2 using iPF!

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Funny I have a fascinate and I don't have any of those problems........my ipad2 however.....

Thats one of the negatives of Android. People can buy low end devices and then get a tainted view of what Android is. As I have said over and over, Android running on hardware similar to the iPhone, which means something like a Galaxy S device, is incredibly smooth and polished.

jmorton10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thphilli said:
Thats one of the negatives of Android. People can buy low end devices and then get a tainted view of what Android is. As I have said over and over, Android running on hardware similar to the iPhone, which means something like a Galaxy S device, is incredibly smooth and polished.

I agree totally, android is awesome In my DroidX (I certainly wouldn't be happy with an iPhone at this point)

~John

Reaction score
danrivito said:
Simple answer... It just works.

I'm a recent transplant from Android myself.

It's funny cuz I didn't even realize how glitchy my android devices were until I got my ipad2.

No more force closes... Lags... Hesitation changing screen rotation... Home screen reloads... Etc

The down side is obviously the limited user customization.... But I'll trade that any day for a device that works and has great battery life.

In fact an iphone4 just replaced my last Android device.

+1 on my Inc and Ipad 1. My Inc us trouble free but my Ipad us anything but. My Ipad is still better than the Xoom though.

Support Our Troops!!

metheridge

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mountainbikermark said:
+1 on my Inc and Ipad 1. My Inc us trouble free but my Ipad us anything but. My Ipad is still better than the Xoom though.

Support Our Troops!!

+1 on that, my ipad2 is better than xoom...

Now when I get my ipad2 jb and install aos it'll be even better....

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I like doing analogies. Think of owning an Apple device like owning a Honda Goldwing. Smooth, reliable, but most of the time, you buy one for group activities. And you have to go to a Honda technician for service. On the other hand, a Harley is a less refined experience, and fewer riders tend travel in groups. More Harley owners tend to do their own maintenance and will get custom paint jobs. A Harley demands more from it's owners, and you have to put up with a lot. It has to be a passion, or you will get tired of dealing with it. iPad owners, like Goldwing owners, want to get there with ease. They don't have time to be a technician.

OP
Cincybearcatfan

Cincybearcatfan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I like doing analogies. Think of owning an Apple device like owning a Honda Goldwing. Smooth, reliable, but most of the time, you buy one for group activities. And you have to go to a Honda technician for service. On the other hand, a Harley is a less refined experience, and fewer riders tend travel in groups. More Harley owners tend to do their own maintenance and will get custom paint jobs. A Harley demands more from it's owners, and you have to put up with a lot. It has to be a passion, or you will get tired of dealing with it. iPad owners, like Goldwing owners, want to get there with ease. They don't have time to be a technician.

Only thing is the owner of a Honda Goldwing does not have the prestige or "it factor" or "envy" of others like a Harley does. I would say that part of your analogy is wrong. When I had my Xoom everyone asked, "Is that an iPad" and I'd tell them no, it's LIKE an iPad but better! (lying to myself and them) and they'd say Oh, and move along. If you have a Goldwing, MOST people that don't know better will say, "Is that a Harley?" and you will have to reply, "No it's LIKE a Harley but better" knowing that you are maybe right and maybe wrong. ;)

Here is my next question for anyone that can answer. I need to use my iPad all the time as a teacher. We have numerous wireless printers in my building. I could print to any printer I needed to with my Xoom by buying PrintShare Pro. I have purchased QuickOffice Pro for my iPad and notice there is a option to print from there, but it doesn't find my printers. I then bought an app that says it can print, and it can find my printers but it can't print my Google Docs. Anyone know of a way to print my Google Docs from my iPad?

Also, probably NOT the correct place but I did a search and couldn't find a thread with the information. Anyone that wants it/needs it, here is a link to a document of all educational apps for the iPod/iPad with their content, grades, etc. Enjoy. :) https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&...DEtNGIxMS00NTY4LWI2M2ItMzg5OGViYTA0NzU3&hl=en

OP
Cincybearcatfan

Cincybearcatfan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Another BIG thing for me is getting used to the keyboard. When I type, it often substitutes what it THINKS I mean. I will backspace and retype it. Most any other keyboard I've used will leave it alone after I go back and retype it the way I had it, not my iPad it KEEPS changing it. Very frustrating. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong or that there is a trick to keep it from doing that but for the life of me I can't figure it out.

Most reactions

Latest posts