What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will you update your OS day of release or wait? Why?

Nakedbabytoes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Curious what others do.
I tend to wait on major releases(from 4.3 to 5 or from 5.1 to 6, etc) to see what other people think of them. How they work and how their device acts with the new OS. I usually wait about a month to upgrade.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I update on the day.

Apple do extensive beta testing of IOS over many months. I have had it installed on various devices since the release of beta 1. The final / GM is already out for developers. You won't find any significant bugs or instability in 6.0, so the logic of hanging back for a month really doesn't stack up in the Apple / IOS world. I cant recall a single situation since the iPad1 was released where a new major version of IOS was released with serious bugs in it. There was an issue with the iPad3 baseband when it was brand new LTE hardware, but I can't recall an issue with a new major release on existing hardware platforms.

The choice is of course entirely yours, but I think you are disadvantaging yourself by waiting month to simply see how it goes... my 2c :)

OP
N

Nakedbabytoes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wait mainly to see thru other people's eyes the changes. Like when safari went from mini screen shot listings to tab browsing. Or how iCloud worked. Etc. I do it mainly for comfort level and to be informed, I seriously doubt I am doing myself some sort of disservice by waiting a whole 30 days to get the latest OS. But thanks for your concern;)

Somerled

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.deckyon.com
I generally wait a day, if only to let the servers get caught up with all the traffic. Generally, there is nothing to worry about unless you are jailbroken - that is where I hear about the most hiccups. Knock on wood, I have not had any issues updating any iOS device I have had since the original iPod touch. Been pretty flawless for me.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I will probably do it on Friday next week. Usually I like to do it with the masses, but the day of release will be my a long day at work for me. So will have to wait a little bit.

ajcgn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When I updated my iPhone to 5, I remember the battery draining much faster than normal until the next update. But I will probably give in to my impatience and update to 6 as soon as I can.

goofy8275

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm most likely going to wait until Thursday or Friday to wait for the network traffic to die down and also see what other people think of it. I'm tempted to do it the day of, but knowing that the server is going to be CRAZY and it will take forever, partly because of an unbearably slow WiFi network, it won't be a good idea, even though I'm SO excited to use Siri on my iPad 3!
I'll probably start the download Thursday or Friday night and let it load overnight, as it will take a few hours on my slow connection and I don't have that kind of time to wait for downloads during the day.

Last edited:

Sleaka J

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm looking forward to iOS 6, so I'll probably do both my phone and tablet on Thurdsay evening, which is the first available chance I'll get to do it because I live in Australia, and it won't be available until Thursday morning here anyway.

iJamesH

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm going to wait and see what the verdict is before updating.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I will upgrade as soon as is possible. Bring it on, baby!

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I usually wait, to avoid traffic and complications.

In this case, I might just not upgrade, because I don't see any features that I'm excited about and am not keen on Apple maps.

In the case of iOS 5, I waited and still got bitten, because I hadn't heard about any reports of it gumming up iPad 1s, which it did, because of RAM probs. It took till iOS 5.1.1 to restore most performance on my iPad 1. Good thing I also had an iPad 2 to fall back on.

waah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow! I have waited long enough for it! After 18th of September nobody can keep me away from my ios 6 baby!

BocataDeChoped

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm going to wait at least 3-4 weeks. Every new SO version release comes with bugs (it's impossible to test every single combination of devices and apps) and I don't feel like beta-testing it plus, having an iPad wifi, there's nothing particularly eye-catching for me.

Most reactions

Latest posts