What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is there really that much benefit for waiting for 2g?

y2kgtp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was thinking screen resolution update, but that would only mess up every app that is being created right now, and the current ones.

I can see a camera for the video chat being added.

I bet they will not do much for at least a year for hardware changes. When sales starts to drop, a price drop to 399$ or 449$ for the 16GB WiFi will happen.

Holly

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm retired and on a fixed income. No regrets about getting one now. Haven't really put it down much so by the time the second generation comes around - will probably be ready to pass this one down the line to my grand nephew and niece who are young enough to enjoy it even though it may be older technically. They are five and seven now. Games on the iPad certainly are less expensive than their current Nintendo DS systems I got them.

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Weight will improve(not by much), added front facing camera, no rear camera(although I want it), battery good enough, screen is fine(people are just too picky), iPhone 4 style hardware(beautiful). Hoping for HDMI output. It just makes sense.

I've posted before that the iPad despite it's hardware style could be an impressive video camera especially partnered with an iPad version of iMovie. Holding it as a camera would be adaptable like anything else in life.
You make it sound like it is fact, you're just speculating.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The way I see it, the device is so inexpensive that once the next gen comes out I'll just get it too...then either sell the one I have or give it to a relative that doesn't have one. Even if its out in a year I think its worth it!

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah I could give it to my grandmother who would love it I think.

iceman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The current model doesn't have any bugs. Apple did a very good job building the iPad. That said, I will probably upgrade when the next model comes out because I don't want the resale value of this one to go down too much. I bought the 32 gb, 3G model, because I thought the resale value would be higher then the 16gb model.

Next year, there are going to be a ton of tablets hitting the market and Apple will have to stay competitive.

y2kgtp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The current model doesn't have any bugs. Apple did a very good job building the iPad. That said, I will probably upgrade when the next model comes out because I don't want the resale value of this one to go down too much. I bought the 32 gb, 3G model, because I thought the resale value would be higher then the 16gb model.

Next year, there are going to be a ton of tablets hitting the market and Apple will have to stay competitive.

If it follows Apple's typical product life cycle, I bet we will see a price drop, then a 2G after that with more features at the same lowered price. I remember going threw this with my 1st Gen 16Gb iPod touch. (still got it :D)

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So far there are several things that seem logical for the next generation iPad.
1. Forward facing camera for using FaceTime. We know it has a slot already installed for it.
2. More RAM to handle the iPhone iMovie app.
3. Higher density screen like the iPhone 4.
4. Gyroscope. According to an article on the teardown of the iPhone 4, a slot was situated on the iPad in the same location that the iPhone 4 has for the gyroscope.
TechInsight's senior analyst Steve Bitton speculates that the next-generation iPad will get the gyroscope because of the presence of an empty slot next to the processor. Additionally, the iPad also has an accelerometer, which combined with a gyroscope could be the perfect bait for game developers.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One thing I hope does not happen in the 2G is an adoption of the styling of the iPhone 4. I am not a fan of the glass back look or feel. In trying to do something snazzier, they have reduced the comfort level, and the rear glass may be more prone to damage. If anything, I would love to see true carbon fiber replace the iPad aluminum back, or leave it the way it is. Trouble is, everyone has different tastes. I have a iPod Nano with the square look. I love the design, and hate the current model. Apparently, I am alone in that attitude.

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I dont get all this talk of a 2nd gen iPad - the 1st gen just has only been out a few months. If/when a second gen comes out, will you then be worried about a 3rd? There will always be something better coming. Just decide if what is here now will fill a need or do what you want. Obsolescence is a fact of life with gadgetry.

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You know, you can hit the quote button next to someone's name and it quotes for you so it doesn't look like you're just reposting what someone wrote...

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The current model doesn't have any bugs.
Of course there are, you just haven't found them yet! This really isn't a slam against Apple, but software and hardware companies generally release something to market when they are convinced that it works well enough. If they waited until it was "perfect", you'd never see one!

All of these generational releases aren't always to add new features, but they also correct bugs which is why they don't usually charge for them. With my 1st gen iPod Touch, I think I only paid for one upgrade, everything else has been free.

y2kgtp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The only thing that would really bug me is a higher resolution screen.

Most reactions