What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will iPad 3G purchased in USA work in UK?

sayerle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
so are you saying I can pop a Truphone local anywhere sim into my US iPhone or US iPAD & get local rates in the UK...?

OP
Addicted2it

Addicted2it

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So, either Steve Jobs doesn't know what he's talking abut or Applecare support doesn't know what they're talking about!!!

I am pretty sure, that the poor support guy mixed up a few things. Steve Jobs clearly said, that the iPad will be unlocked!!

By Friday, when the first 3G devices will arrive, we all will know. Be patient and make you decision after the weekend.

That's all well and good, but once we receive the iPad 3G, how will we know if it is locked or unlocked. I am sure it will work on AT&Ts 3G network, but the big question for me and others is, "Will the 3G unit purchased in the USA work with UK 3G network(s)?"

Thanks to everyone who responded.

OP
Addicted2it

Addicted2it

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was shocked to hear from iPAD Applecare support that the iPAD 3G bought in the USA is infact locked to AT&T so you cannot simply replace the micro-sim card. I am moving from the USA to the UK soon & wanted to buy an iPAD in the USA, but now will wait until I am in the UK. This is very strange since I thought that Steve Jobs said in his iPAD keynote speech in January that the iPAD will be unlocked. So, either Steve Jobs doesn't know what he's talking abut or Applecare support doesn't know what they're talking about!!!

It looks like you are correct. According to Apple Support today (1-800-MY-APPLE), the US version of the Apple iPad 3G is locked to AT&T. Even if you can change the SIM card, it will not connect to other carriers (both USA & UK) unless jail-broken.

They have already shipped my 3G iPad, so I am going to have to wait until May 10th to order one from the UK. And according to Apple, the 3G won't be available until late June.

From the horse's mouth, so-to-speak.

sayerle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is still difficult to believe since Steve Jobs said it was unlocked, plus I bet Applecare don't have access to the real information until today. Also why would the iPAD include a sim card removal kit in the box?

sayerle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPAD 3G is unlocked!!!!!!

I called AppleCare support TODAY & they confirmed it is UNLOCKED!!

I guess they now have the updated info!!

So, all you need to do is pop a micro-sim card from a UK carrier for iPAD & it'll turn into a UK iPAD (of whatever country you're in). Great news but Steve Jobs explicitly stated this at his keynote on 27th June!

It wouldn't make any sense to lock it given all the unlock programs out there anyway!!

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
sayerle said:
I called AppleCare support TODAY & they confirmed it is UNLOCKED!!

I guess they now have the updated info!!

So, all you need to do is pop a micro-sim card from a UK carrier for iPAD & it'll turn into a UK iPAD (of whatever country you're in). Great news but Steve Jobs explicitly stated this at his keynote on 27th June!

It wouldn't make any sense to lock it given all the unlock programs out there anyway!!

It is unlocked just need a sim for the country you live in. Getting a micro sim will be the only issue
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cultman1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
will i pad 3g work in uk

How much does it cost to get a i pad 3g sim card in the UK and will there be monthly roaming charges in the Uk if i buy my 32gb 3g I pad from the USA? Thank sBruce

sayerle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPAD 3G

Since you will be connecting to the local UK provider service you should be charged the standard rate that a UK iPAD owner would be charged. Why would you be charged a roaming fee if you had say a Vodaphone micro sim in your iPAD & were using it on their network in the UK?

The question really is whether the "breakthrough" low data usage rates seen with AT&T will be available in micro sim cards you buy separately to pop into your machine? I don't really see why not. The beauty of the iPAD is that it will be an internationally portable & compatible device. Hopefully, this will start a price war from new ' competing providers who want to provide data usage for iPAD so one would hope the prices would be driven down.

On Monday we will see how the UK data plans compare with the US when iPAD is available for preorder. I am moving back to the UK in 2 weeks & will buy 2 3G iPADs from the US in anticipation of the likely price difference so will need to get my hands on a micro sim asap. It is unclear as yet if/ when the UK service providers will be selling micro sims separately & whether the monthly data plans will be the same as the UK iPADs bought with the card already in.

I suspect the UK providers aren't that interested in the device itself & will want to cash in on all those seeking to buy a micro sim separately....

sayerle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPAD 3G

By the way, AT&T are selling iPAD micro sim cards for $15 on their website which bodes well for rapid availability of UK iPAD micro sims separate from the iPAD....

cultman1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply. I am on with O2 in the UK and have an i phone with this service provider on a contract basis.
Since the IPAD 3G is not a phone but amongst everything else an internet roaming device there will obviously be a monthly service charge + start up cost from whoever provides the micro card? ie 02? Whilst it is also WIFI compatable most UK Wifi hotspots are locked to greedy entrepreneurs whom will demand a charge to unlock their wifi facility for useage then and there! Our local pub for example charges £5. I am concerned that when using the IPAD as an internet device we UK users will be clobbered with hefty additional charges from our existing mobile provider (i.e 02) just to be able to use it in this capacity. Can you clarify completely that this is not the case?
Much appreciated

Jjuan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In case still wondering on this question, I bought my iPad 3G in the US ( Palo Alto Apple Store ) and have it since working now with a Vodafone UK SIM with no problem. I just had to cut the SIM following the reference of the ATT microsim that came inside the iPad itself and with some help of Google Images ( someone who did with a Telstra sim)
Ask me if you need any help.

Zorban

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I did it the same way too. I took a sim from the Swedish operator 3 and cut it down and smoothed it out with a nail file. Works great. The 3G signal is strong but the speeds are not that good. I think that has to do with the network more than the iPad.

FirstApple

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi. I bought 64 +3G here in china (shenzhen) with AT&T sim inside the slot. I am now looking here at china mobile or china unicom if they have available microsim and will let you know if this will work. :D

Sehat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad in Indonesia

I have a 64GB, 3G ipad in Jakarta. I bought a SIM card from the largest carrier here, Telkomsel, and cut it to fit in the iPad. I activated and registered the SIM card to carry data, and got confirmation on this through SMS (while the card was in my mobile). I have the correct APN settings in the iPad, and it gets a great signal. However, it will not connect to the internet! Does this mean I will have to jailbreak, or does this mean I am still a complete novice with Apple devices (since this is my 1st)?
Thanks

Most reactions

Latest posts