What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does Ipad-2 3g bought in USA work in other countries with their respective carriers??

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There are no settings that must be changed to use an iPad purchased in one country in another country.

There are some things like International keyboards and local time zones you may want to adjust, but all you need is a SIM card with a data plan and you are all set.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are no settings that must be changed to use an iPad purchased in one country in another country.

There are some things like International keyboards and local time zones you may want to adjust, but all you need is a SIM card with a data plan and you are all set.

I wouldn't make blanket statements like this unless familiar with carrier details in all countries. I remember seeing a carrier store guy adjusting my settings after replacing my SIM card, and it wasn't time or date, which I later adjusted myself. In some countries, there's also a 24-hour wait period before a SIM card is activated. But that again varies from country to country, and perhaps depending on where you bought your iPad and where you're trying to use it.

OP, have you tried borrowing a SIM card that you know is working in another device? That might help you test.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OP, this might shed light:

iOS: Installing carrier settings updates

Additional Information
Note: If you insert a new SIM or micro-SIM card into your iPhone or iPad, you'll need to download the carrier settings for the new carrier wirelessly. Carrier settings are available only for iPhone support carriers and iPad partner carriers. If you're not using a partner carrier, you will need to set up the carrier's settings manually. Refer to your carrier for appropriate settings. iOS: About cellular data network settings (viewing or editing the APN)

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
APN username and password settings are not unique to the iPad or iPhone. If the carrier needs to set these, I would expect the technician in the cell phone store to understand this already - as he would have to set these for every device, not just an iPad.

Nothing specific to the iPad needs to be adjusted to use it with any data plan and GSM carrier.

We've set up hundreds of devices purchased is several different countries on both carrier partners and non-partners in over a dozen countries.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OP, see if you can nudge your carrier store people in this direction, to see whether APN is your prob:

APN Settings for iPad 3G | Touch User Guide

This list might be outdated, but it might get them pointed in the right direction if they haven't tried.

And if they haven't already offered to swap out a SIM card that they know is working on another device, they've overlooked a quick way to check whether the SIM card or the hardware might be the prob. Often, SIM cards are just duds, even when new.

alvano

iPF Noob
Reaction score
yup, Ipad 1 and Ipad 2 doesnt make much techinical differences,

DNC1968

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It will work fine as long as its the correct type.
I've got a Black iPad 2, 32gb WiFi+ 3G (GSM). Model No. A1396. It was bought over there and works perfectly on the UK 3 Network.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
alvano said:
i guess u dont need a new simcard...

If you travel to another country, you will indeed need a local sim card for your iPad if you want to avoid the ridiculous roaming charges some cellular service providers are wont to levy.

KarinainMilan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone!
Just wanted to add my 2 cents: I am American but live in Milan. Travel back and forth for shorter/longer periods of time, I use an Italian carrier in Europe (roaming acceptable), and AT&T in the US. iPad 1 purchased in Italy, used everywhere, iPad 2 purchased in the US, used everywhere. Pull sims in and out and have had perfect use everywhere.
Have fun and cheers! :eek:

Farhana Peter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
buying an ipad 4 from US to Malaysia

Yes. I'm currently in Malaysia with two iPads purchased in the US and never "activated" with the AT&T SIM.

When I return to the US for a month this summer, I will call AT&T and sign up for one month service, giving them the code to activate my SIM card.

Then when I return to Malaysia, I'll just swap SIM cards back.

-t

Hi, i came across your message here, and it is very very useful for me since i am getting a friend to buy the newly out
ipad4 for me. My friend is in US, and i am here in Malaysia.
so, just to clarify again with you, is it true that i can have an ipad from US that works well in Malaysia? if that is, which should i ask my friend to buy? the At&T one? and does the ipad comes directly to your address or you will have to go to get it from the customs?
Thanks.help.. ;)

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes, the AT&T model works great here in Malaysia.

The iPhone 5 is going to be here on the 14th. I wonder if the iPad 4 will be available from Switch as well...

As for shipping, if you send it USPS Priority Mail you will probably have to pick it up in Customs. If you send it FedEx, they generally deal with Customs for you.

Most reactions

Latest posts